Rough bearing 2052

Started by JeffG, March 28, 2022, 01:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

Quote from: handi2 on April 01, 2022, 10:43:30 AMHey Jeff,

The ones you ordered are going to be chromed steel. Although they may be ok for freshwater they will rust quickly in saltwater.  Even the SS bearings rust because of the lesser 410 SS they use.

Keith

hopefully they are 440 stainless steel.  they are available for those prices on ebay.  they seem to work fine. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

JeffG

Well, the bearings came today! Not top notch quality, but pretty smooth. Definitely made a difference in noise and feel. Now I only hear the A/R and not the rough rubbing noise. I don't really see anything wrong with the old one, but who knows. It fit perfectly! I was afraid I'd have to sand the pinion gear or housing to get it to fit, but went right in snuggly.
  I have the link if anyone is interested.

(10 Pack) PGN - R4-2RS Sealed Ball Bearing - C3-1/4"x5/8"x0.196" - Lubricated - Chrome Steel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GT739PV/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_F68HCPHE7BAEXJTEY7YH

Also here's a photo of my set up, a 5'6" Berkeley Cherry wood from probably the 90's.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions! It's so great to have a place to go for help and options!

Thanks
Jeff

Midway Tommy

Good for you! Maybe the races had some rough areas, or even possibly the the balls. At least she's rolling smooth & quiet now.  8)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

Bearings are fascinating. I've had them cleaned and looking flawless, even feeling silky smooth when rolled by hand, then put in a reel and it sounds like the rear end gears in a school bus! Then on the opposite side of the coin, I've had bearings full of rust and crud clean up smooth and quiet as a mouse. Glad you got 'er back in the game!  :fish
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oldmanjoe

Quote from: mo65 on April 03, 2022, 11:30:19 AM  Bearings are fascinating. I've had them cleaned and looking flawless, even feeling silky smooth when rolled by hand, then put in a reel and it sounds like the rear end gears in a school bus! Then on the opposite side of the coin, I've had bearings full of rust and crud clean up smooth and quiet as a mouse. Glad you got 'er back in the game!  :fish
I can say the same , some will surprise you ...
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

PacRat

Quote from: mo65 on April 03, 2022, 11:30:19 AM  Bearings are fascinating. I've had them cleaned and looking flawless, even feeling silky smooth when rolled by hand, then put in a reel and it sounds like the rear end gears in a school bus! Then on the opposite side of the coin, I've had bearings full of rust and crud clean up smooth and quiet as a mouse. Glad you got 'er back in the game!  :fish

I concur. The first time I experienced this was on a 2052. This was a DA with the plastic arbor and click gear. As you can see in the photos the inner and outer races appear to be plastic (they may have a steel liner inside the plastic, but I don't know.) The bearing felt good before I restored the reel. I cleaned the bearings and greased them but when I re-assembled the reel it was rough. I was perplexed because it felt alright before I cleaned and re-packed it. I just figured the plastic bearings were cheap (even though they felt good outside the reel) so I replaced them like Jeff did and all was well.

I had this happen a second time on a DAM Quick which had very high quality bearings but they worked and sounded better before I cleaned and re-packed them. So now, for my personal spinning reels; if the bearings feel good, I leave them alone. If the reel is going outside my local area, I just replace the bearing whether it feels bad or not.

Here's some photos of the plastic bearings. Have any of you seen these in Shakespeares before?

-Mike

Midway Tommy

Quote from: PacRat on April 04, 2022, 01:15:55 AMI concur. The first time I experienced this was on a 2052. This was a DA with the plastic arbor and click gear. As you can see in the photos the inner and outer races appear to be plastic (they may have a steel liner inside the plastic, but I don't know.) The bearing felt good before I restored the reel. I cleaned the bearings and greased them but when I re-assembled the reel it was rough. I was perplexed because it felt alright before I cleaned and re-packed it. I just figured the plastic bearings were cheap (even though they felt good outside the reel) so I replaced them like Jeff did and all was well.

I had this happen a second time on a DAM Quick which had very high quality bearings but they worked and sounded better before I cleaned and re-packed them. So now, for my personal spinning reels; if the bearings feel good, I leave them alone. If the reel is going outside my local area, I just replace the bearing whether it feels bad or not.

Here's some photos of the plastic bearings. Have any of you seen these in Shakespeares before?

-Mike

Yeah, that DA I repaired the plastic arbor on the main shaft a couple of years ago had a bearing with nylon races. I think Shakespeare switched to that type of bearing in their later US made spinners.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Wompus Cat

Meanwhile the Handle fell off my Fridge again just now .
1 Day after warranty expired . ::)
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Paul Roberts

I have a Pflueger 551 (same as the Shakes 2062) that came in with that gravelly sound. Did my very best to refurbish that bearing: pulled a shield, soaked, scrubbed, soaked, scrubbed, ... lubed with viscous oil, then tried grease. Eventually replaced it with a new one; It was a standard size. I first bought a very cheap bearing and it only helped a bit, with the support of grease. Bought a better bearing and with a viscous oil the reel was back in business.

I'll still attempt to save a bearing, but will not hesitate to replace them if cleaning doesn't work.

The noise a bad bearing can make resonating under the rotor of a spinning reel, esp an older deep cup type, can be intolerable.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Paul Roberts on June 07, 2022, 01:03:44 PMThe noise a bad bearing can make resonating under the rotor of a spinning reel, esp an older deep cup type, can be intolerable.

A little hearing loss neutralizes that annoyance.  ;D

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Gfish

HA! Get's easier to act like I can't hear people I don't wanna listen to anyway, as I get older.
Any good way to tell if that cleaned & lubed and good sounding(when tested before reassembly)b.bearing is gonna be bad before it's put back and the reel is buttoned-up?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

Most of you, who have been around and into spinners for awhile —-

Don't need to hear a worn bearing —- you can feel it before you hear it.

Yes, you can quiet it down with grease —- but you know when it is right —- and you just feel the glassy smoothness —- instead of a slight resistance and afterwards maybe a howl.

A bearing will never get better —- it will just continue to wear.

Sometimes it will outlast the owner —- sometimes not.

If it doesn't bother you —- then it is likely good for another 10-20 years of steady fishing.

If there is even a slight roughness or bearing "feel" —- I replace the bearing & lube it properly.

Any bearing can be sourced & ordered just by the three measurements.

I generally can tell if a bearing is questionable before I take the reel apart.

I think most of us can.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Gfish on June 08, 2022, 11:20:46 PMHA! Get's easier to act like I can't hear people I don't wanna listen to anyway, as I get older.
Any good way to tell if that cleaned & lubed and good sounding(when tested before reassembly)b.bearing is gonna be bad before is put back and the reel is buttoned-up?

Use a Sharpened (tapered)ol # 2 Lead pencil and stick through the bearing. Hold the Bearing in one hand and turn it while putting pressure on the inner race with the pencil in dif directions . If you feel anything ya needs a Bearing .
Not saying it won't work ok if you want an OK Feeling Reel .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Gfish

Thanks Hoss. Makes sense. Check it best as I can before disassembly, then if suspect damage,  check like you said. Guess I've never had a bad one before...
Godda OC 979 and a Monofil 25 I will be sending you, unless you tell me different, Henry.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

The first used Cardinal 7 I ever purchased had been well used, and in salt water to boot. The bearing seemed halfway decent but since the reel had seen a lot of salt water I decided to soak it in lacquer thinner to thoroughly clean it up. It spun fast & free so I added a fair amount of oil for lubrication. When I put the thing back together everything worked as smooth as could be but that sucker howled and sounded like a Werewolf on a full moon. :o I took the reel apart removed one shield and packed that bearing full with Super Lube and added a little synthetic oil. When I put it back together it was as smooth as a baby's butt and purred like a kitten.  :d

I learned a valuable lesson on that reel. Never buy an older used reel that has any signs of salt discoloration or corrosion. I have avoided them like the plague ever since.  ;)   

Tommy D (ORCA), NE