Rough bearing 2052

Started by Cubby1973, March 28, 2022, 01:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wompus Cat

QuoteGodda OC 979 and a Monofil 25 I will be sending you, unless you tell me different, Henry.

I bought A gob of parts in the last year or so and one bunch was suppose to include a lot of OC parts but never got them so YEP I would want em ..... ;D
That 979 is kinda neat as it is pretty Narrow .
I am working on the ShakeySpear part for you .I knows I got it just don't know where it is ....lol Thanks  :d
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Paul Roberts

I too, like Henry, use a pencil-sharpened piece of wood (5/16" arrow shaft) as a bearing spinner. I roll the bearing around on the bench top, listening and feeling. I can also test spin the (clean) bearing to see how long it spins. Cheap, or lower tolerance, bearings don't spin long. The record for me came from a Quick Super 270, that spun for over over 20 seconds.

I don't have the amount of experience that Fred has, so I've always simply expected most spinners to give a bit of "rotor hiss". I can tolerate a bit of "growl" too, but some come in that are... intolerable; A real "something ain't right" sound. Possibly, I'm just used to -expecting- the noise, and haven't looked/listened close enough. Or done the work to know the difference.

Some of the noise seems to be due to gear mesh tolerances, either native or from wear. The quietest, glassiest, reels I own are my worm-driven reels. The bevel and hypoid reels I have all hiss or growl; Possibly they have looser mesh tolerances?

So... I'm going to replace a few bearings on my reels and see what happens. Possibly some of that "tolerable" noise can be alleviated. First up is my BG15, that's been fished hard, and still on the original bearings. It hisses/whirs pretty good, and growls the slightest bit. I have some Boca ABEC-5's to try. Probably should have 7's, but we'll see how the 5's come out.

The question will remain, how much noise is tolerable/affordable. The Pflueger 551 (2062) I have I would not have been able to fish with until I replaced that bearing. It is now 'glassy' and pretty near silent. We're going to become pretty good friends I think.

Paul Roberts

So... I ran my ball-bearing test(s) on my BG15. It was well worth the work, clearing up some questions and assumptions I've had about bearings, gears, and other stuff related to noise in spinning reels. Since it's gotten a bit off topic and off-brand here, I've decided to post the results in the main Spinning Reel section.