AccuMaster Digital gauges

Started by Bill B, March 29, 2022, 10:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

I finally broke out of the analogue world, kicking and screaming 😱 into the digital world.  My old machinest square, carpenters square, and Speed Square weren't cutting it anymore.  While all are great tools for rough framing and "close enough" measurements, they weren't precise enough for finish cabinetry.  After a long search I found the AccuMaster line of tools.  As Fred has said, the most expensive tool is the one that doesn't work.  The AccuMaster Digital Angle Finder Ruler is accurate within a 3/10th of a degree and the AccuMaster Digital Angle Gauge is accurate within 2/10th of a degree.  Both tools are easy to operate and give repeatable measurements. When checking them against my old squares, I found the old squares to be off anywhere from 1/2 to a full degree.  Not good enough for finish carpentry. I used the Angle Finder Ruler to set a perfect 90* on the table saw and the Angle Gauge to set the blade at a perfect 90* to the table surface.  Both were used to make a cross cut sled for the table saw.  I was able to find a package deal on Amazon for about $40 shipped. Bill 
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

oldmanjoe

::)    What are you building , or are you on kitchen detail ....
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

Excellent, Bill!

I also use various sleds for my table saws —- taper, miter, crosscut, etc.

And about once a year, I recheck and calibrate the blade —- both squared and perfect miter angles.

When doing really delicate woodworking where one can't be off even a fraction of a degree —- I recheck the sled, fence, blade —- square it with the table front to back and side to side —- plus the proper angle check.

I got rid of my old Delta —- because I could never square it up —- just kept the 6" jointer that was attached to it.

Now I have had a Ryobi BT3000 for 20 years, and just picked up my second Shopsmith a couple of years ago.

Appreciate your take on the digital gauge.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bill B

Quote from: oldmanjoe on March 29, 2022, 10:46:18 PM::)    What are you building , or are you on kitchen detail ....

The wife and I frequent the Habitat for Humanities "Restore" which is like a Goodwill for construction supplies.  We picked up these flooring samples for dirt cheap.  Well I have been slowly dismantling the samples that we will use for flooring.  Once all the panels are dismantled. I will be squaring them up, milling a groove all the way around.  Then splines will be glued in and the flooring will be laid down as a floating floor.  The sled will be used to square up the rounded corners of the samples.  Getting the sled squared up to the saw was frustrating due to my old squares.

I have had this Delta table saw for probably 20 years and it has never failed me, tried to bite me a couple times when I wasn't paying attention but still have all 10 fingers 😉.

My father in law was a fine cabinet and furniture builder, his finest project was a Jewish Synagogue in Beverly Hills.  He taught me a lot before his passing but I will never be close to his caliber.  I helped him build bathroom cabinets for his house using saw horses and a Skil saw.  It was amazing watching him work.  Bill

oldmanjoe

Very interesting project .  Are all the samples the same , as far as color and grain ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Bill B

All the samples are oak, the shades vary by a little, but when spread across the rooms no one will be able to tell the difference.  I'm about 2/3rds the way through stripping the samples.  When I'm done I hope to have about 1000 sq. ft. of planks.  Bill

oldmanjoe

You have to post a picture of it when done .  Woodworking can be very addictive , be careful !!!