Lack of drag range on current production Abu's

Started by 0119, February 01, 2012, 09:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ive noticed a quick degrade in the drag range on my newer C3's. Ive used Shimano drag grease and checked for oil contamination but it hasnt helped.  The drags on at least 2 new C3's seem very weak until they are almost completely tightened down.  Any suggestions? I thought the new stock carbon washers would have given better and longer performance if they are the problem even.

coastalobsession

May have put to much grease on washers. Try adding a extra washer. Will post a pic later
Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

alantani

ambassaduer uses three dry carbon fiber washer inside the main gear and a sticky composite washer underneath.  check with smoothdrag.  dawn at smoothdrag.com can generally not break up already packaged sets unless it's a HUGE order.  if you ordered a set of four washers, you could simply cut them down to size to fit under the main gear and fix four of these newer model reels.  if you have the old style, you will need a full carbontex set anyway.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

Quote from: coastalobsession on February 01, 2012, 10:00:13 PM
May have put to much grease on washers. Try adding a extra washer. Will post a pic later

with star drag reels, i generally do not worry about too much grease.  the excess always squeezes out the sides, anyway. 

I used very little grease. More or less testing it to see if it improved over the dry state they came in.  it seems a trait in the Revos Ive tried to. Drags are great right out of the box but with use fade in the top end.

Ken_D

Hio....As per Alan's above...not all the C3's carry the carbon washers..... did you check your schematics for either 1116906 carbon, or: 20907  teflon/graphite plastic style.  

alantani

just wondering.  by degradation, do you mean that it decreases or that it gets sticky.

The reels seem to work well right of of the box and the drag has a 'working range'.  Now they all seem to have virtually no drag until the star is set to almost tight and it only provides near maximum drag.  Just like so many people complained the original Revo Premier did.  I had better performing drags from older series round reels that dont have the improved carbon drag.  Thus their performance has to me degraded even after just a few months.  I suspected oil contamination and stripped them down.  I now wonder if the slight greasing with shimano drag grease didnt make it worse.  I can strip a C3 down and rebuild it in my sleep but Ive carefully followed the schematic.  Thanks for all your guys attention on this.

Squirmypug

Check the cupped washers just under the star. I don't know if it makes a difference but mine were (( I changed it to () and it seems to have given me a wider drag range when turning the star
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

Yeah thanks I did that too.  I guess I'll get some smoothies to try.

Keta

Quote from: 0119 on February 02, 2012, 12:37:27 PM
  I now wonder if the slight greasing with shimano drag grease didnt make it worse. 

All of my ABUs (C3s and C4s) have either Carbontex or cut to fit HT-100 drag washers, all are greased with either Cals or Shamano grease and I don't have this problem. 

I'd also suspect it's the washer configuration.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ken_D

Quote from: Squirmypug on February 02, 2012, 12:49:40 PM
Check the cupped washers just under the star. I don't know if it makes a difference but mine were (( I changed it to () and it seems to have given me a wider drag range when turning the star

() is the factory setting. some folks switch to )( , but I am partial to factory, as the bottom belleville is on top of the iar sleeve. Facing ( instead of ), I (only an opinion) suspect that it makes more tension range as per factory settings.

In our fishery, when sports fish the product right at the edge of the design envelope, I've noticed that the carbon washers get a bit "glazey' (shiney) after a couple of seasons. I just use a bit of 600 grit sandpaper
to scuff 'em up, or: replace.  I should also say that Dawn's replacement carbon washers appear to be a better cloth. I have not seen a reel come back, yet, that have the smoothdrag setup, so I can't say if they glaze up like the factory ones. Until one comes back.

Nessie Hunter

If your going from 0 to max drag, then it is most likely the Bellville washers  ( ) .
They do get old and lose tension and go flat or very weak..  
Due mostly to storing the reel with to much pressure on the drags, Always back them off when stored..
Also Material may be a bad run and low Spring in the Steel...

Ergo - Replace the Bellviles  ( ) ....  
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

alantani

i would go back to having everything stock, then switch out the drags for all carbon fiber with cal's grease.  then fish with it for a while and see.  changing too many things at once can make it hard to isolate a single problem or a single fix.

Hey you guys are great I really am grateful for all the responses. I will check all the () washers tomorrow. I might need new bifocal's. I can't wait to see if I can improve the premiers drag. I got it on ultra low clearance at Dicks when it sat for two years after the new premier came out. The whole time with it s drag tightened.