Finally Snagged One

Started by Balvar24, April 15, 2022, 03:13:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balvar24

Finally picked one up.

Been wanting a Microlite 1000 for a while and couldn't find one at a decent price.

Put "Herters Reel" in fleabay tonight and this popped up:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304444273486?hash=item46e24af34e:g:e7UAAOSw-xJiWLdV

Looks like I've got a 1000 on the way and two Herter's branded Juniors.

The 1000 looks rough, but I'm betting it will clean up.  The only thing that looks to be missing is decals and the cover for the crank opening.

Breadfan

That's a lot of reels to play with for not a lot of money! Nice score!

mo65

You'll love the 1000...its one of my all time favorites! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Crow

Yeah, you did great at that price !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Balvar24

Yeah, now I just have to dig up a rod for it.  May put it on one of those $20 Shakespeare Microlites.  For the $$ they seem pretty decent as long as you aren't too rough with them.

JeffG

Quote from: Balvar24 on April 15, 2022, 08:29:46 PMYeah, now I just have to dig up a rod for it.  May put it on one of those $20 Shakespeare Microlites.  For the $$ they seem pretty decent as long as you aren't too rough with them.

I've got a bunch of those and have had zero issues.

philaroman

oh, treat yourself -- this reel is worthy of
some Fen brown, or Fen/Lami honey

don't know about modern, but old composite Shakes Microlites are CRAPOLA

Balvar24

I've got a custom trout rod made up on a yellow lamiglass blank.  It currently is home to a 110.

Balvar24

It looks to me like the bail arm is tweaked.  Not much clearance between the bail and the arm.

20220420-113632" border="0

Midway Tommy

Yeah, it's bent.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Balvar24

foakes

If you just remove the bail wire —- then it is easy to straighten out the bent angle lever back like this original one.

Also, your bail spring has lost its crisp tension.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

90% of the time it's not the bail spring. It's the bent bail wire.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Balvar24

I need to tear into it pretty soon.  It's seemed to have had a hard life.  The crank arm was bent pretty good too.  Already straightened it.

The whole bail mechanism seems to have a catch, so the first think I'm going to do is remove the bail wire and see if that's what's got it binding up or something else.  I'll keep you posted.

The Juniors that came with it seem to be mostly complete.  Although one has a broken AR lever.  How people manage to treat things so poorly is beyond me.

We always liked to fish too much to treat our stuff like anything but fine china growing up.  I'm still sick over the first rod tip I ever broke.

Balvar24

About this put back together.  The ball bearings make a bit more noise than I like.  I just but some Ardent bearing oil on them.

Anyone know how many yards of 4lb test will fit on one of these?