Grouper Special or 349h

Started by Surfrat, April 21, 2022, 05:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surfrat

Hi. My good buddies have invited me and my sons to fish for tilefish, a fish that we never fish for but like to eat. I have been reading on building a grouper special here. I have a red gifted 349h that needs to be rebuild. I will be fishing in water from 50 to 80 fathoms deep (300 to 480 ft.)

Should I build a grouper special or use my rebuild 349h?

Option 1: What is the best grouper special build to assemble in a short time? I read it's a black 113 with LB66 parts. Right? I want to keep the budget down while having fun building a Frankenreel.  ::)

Option 2: Rebuild my 349h that I have not opened since Clinton was president.  :P Lol

Hardy Boy

go for the highest gear ratio. 480 is no fun at a slow speed.

Cheers:

todd
Todd

Gfish

Yup. Most inches retrieved/turn. Consider gear ratio and spool diameter.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

thorhammer

349. Faster, more drag and stouter gears, you won't have to level line, and stronger reel by far than a 113. By all means build a grouper special as well, but the 349 is for practical purposes a skinny 6/0- the real grouper special (not needing 500 yards of line on a fish that runs 20 feet). Plus, maybe new drags and you are in bidness quickly and cheaply unless you have all the 113 GS franken parts at hand. May consider SS sleeve but prolly not needed on tilefish- they live in soft bottom and generally under 15-20 lbs. Very tasty. Note, my exerience is with NC tiles- golden and blueline, and they are mostly under 8 pounds.

John

handi2

John had it covered.

They come with Stainless Steel gears. But if im wrong I have a set I can send you.

Like John stated they live in deep muddy bottoms. If your 5 lb lead sticks to the bottom you're in the right shape place.

Keith

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Swami805

349H all the way, new drag washers and you're good. If you want to get fancy and stainless sleeve and a 2nd dog, pretty easy to do on that reel
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Surfrat

Thank you all for your response and help. ;D Keith, my 349h has steel gears. Thank you for your generous offer but I will decline and you are correct!
The Penn 349H has high speed gears and the pulling power to take on tuna and wahoo so tilefish shouldn't be a problem. I will rebuild 349H for deep drop fishing. It has a decent gear ratio on a big diameter spool for a good solid and steady retrieve without killing me or the fish.
For this weekend, I will clean and add grease. I will add a 2nd dog when I can find another dog and dog spring.

thorhammer

Surfrat

I am going this weekend. I cleaned and added grease. I didn't find a 2nd dog yet. I loaded braid line and getting ready to go. Is the 349h better than a regular 113h?

Swami805

I think it's better for what you have in mind,113h has its place in the line up too.  Fill that 349 with braid and your set. What lb is up to you, the thinner the better so there's less water resistance. Maybe 50lb?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

day0ne

I wouldn't expect any tilefish as shallow as 480 ft. Maybe double that. The only exception would be blue line tile, a smaller species.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Surfrat

Many thanks. ^-^  I have about 500yds of 50# braid with mono. We are going for blueline tilefish and whatever are hitting. My buddy said when they're there, you will catch them almost as soon as the bait hits bottom. Plus not as far to crank up. This is my first time tile fishing in one of my good friend's boat.

Keta

Try to locate a aluminum 29L-349 spool.

I wish I still had 349H 5 washer drag stacks, they make the 349 a much stronger reel.  I do have several 349 washer sets, as well as 349H and 349 gear sets and yokes. 

A SS 113H gear sleeve will work with the stock AR dog and double stacking 113H CF drag washers works.  I think Smooth Drag has CF 349H drag washers and at one time had thin metal washers.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Maxed Out

Your reel says 349, not 349-H. They did have a slower speed version. Turn the handle slowly in one complete turn and count rotations of the spool. I'm guessing yours is 2-1/3 ratio. The H is 3.25
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Surfrat

I am not an expect like Lee and others but I believe mine is the high speed 349h with red sideplates. All 349 versions I read online uses the same 349 label on its sideplate. My 349h has red sideplates.
All red sideplates are 349H, but not all 349H are red as some are earlier versions with black sideplates. I don't have a black 349 to compare with my 349H. I noticed the main gear is big.

My tilefish trip was awesome! ;D  We had fun! I caught 3 bluelines and my boys caught 4 bluelines, porgies, and some humpback black sea bass.  8)