DAM QUICK 1000/1001 — Tiniest and Most Powerful Microlite

Started by foakes, May 01, 2022, 12:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Along with servicing, restoring, repairing, and building DAM Quick reels —- I also buy, sell, and trade DAM Quick reels. 

Some of my favorite DQ reels are the 1000/1001 Microlites.

Skirted aluminum spool, high speed 1:5, bronze and steel gears, worm-drive, quadruple frame & bushing supported worm and main gear, oversized ball bearing,fold-down crank handle, fold down bail, all aircraft grade aluminum construction, push-button spool release, multiple disc drag system, crank assembly switches from left-hand to right-hand in 15 seconds with no tools.

All in a 7.6 ounce package.

Holds 175 yards of 4 pound mono.  Retrieves 20.7" per crank.

The 1000 and 1001 are identical mechanically.

The 1000 has a bright aluminum spool, crank, and a red drag and crank knob.

The 1001 has the Black-Out treatment with black body, rotor, crank, spool, drag knob and crank knob.

While these don't come up for sale too often —- I generally acquire all of these I can get.

This one came in the mail from the Auction Site today.

It had a broken frame stand, the bail would not operate, and the crank was on the right side for a left-hander angler.

All of these things contributed to a low purchase price.

30 minutes after receiving it today —- I installed a new frame, fixed the bail issue, switched it to the left side crank, did a full service, removed all of the 45 year old old grease from the factory, relubed, tuned, and adjusted.

Works and sounds like a sewing machine.

Dropped it in the for sale bin with other 1000/1001's.

Can't tell it from a brand new one.

These reels are a pleasure to work on, fish, and enjoy for a lifetime.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Yeah, I saw that and thought about gabbin' it but but ultimately decided against it since I have a NIB 1001 already. They're a nice little reel but I figured since I have 31 Cardinal 3s I didn't need another UL. A guy can only use one at a time.  ;)  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Quote from: Midway Tommy on May 01, 2022, 01:14:12 AMYeah, I saw that and thought about gabbin' it but but ultimately decided against it since I have a NIB 1001 already. They're a nice little reel but I figured since I have 31 Cardinal 3s I didn't need another UL. A guy can only use one at a time.  ;)  ;D

True, Tom —-

However, I doubt that you would have paid as much as I did for it.

And most folks wouldn't either.

Because, since there is always the cost of parts and availability —- to consider when there are obvious damages and other unknowns, for the average guy.

My criteria is a little different since I do have these parts.

Just like you with ABU/Zebco Cardinals.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

PacRat

Fred,
PM me a price for that 1001 and maybe I can add it to my parts order.
-Mike

handi2

Thanks for taking the time to post this excellent tutorial.

I have a bunch of them in the Finesse and larger ones. No micro.

When you get to my 2 speed will you post the pictures here.

I won't be using it. It will be too pretty!!

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Balvar24

I was watching that one as well.  I've already got a 1000 to tear into.  One project at a time.

JasonGotaProblem

Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

foakes

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on May 01, 2022, 03:02:43 PMHow do they do with braid?

Extremely well —-

This is due to the metal skirted spool that allows the line to flow off the spool freely with little resistance —- and also the very hard tungsten-carbide line guide.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

foakes

Quote from: handi2 on May 01, 2022, 07:52:15 AMThanks for taking the time to post this excellent tutorial.

I have a bunch of them in the Finesse and larger ones. No micro.

When you get to my 2 speed will you post the pictures here.

I won't be using it. It will be too pretty!!

Keith

Here is your DQ 275 so far, Keith.

The blue tray with the new parts on the left —- are the ones being replaced —- as per your instructions.

It will be completed likely tomorrow or Tuesday.

Did Church online early this morning —- and this afternoon we are heading to town for Sue's annual Chorus Recital, then dinner somewhere in Fresno.

Be glad to post photos in a day or two —- when it is completed.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

foakes

Quote from: PacRat on May 01, 2022, 05:51:03 AMFred,
PM me a price for that 1001 and maybe I can add it to my parts order.
-Mike

Are you back home now, Mike?

I will send out your parts order tomorrow, if you are back.

Also will include the 1001.  It will be very reasonable —- no worries.  If you don't like it —- just send it back.  No sweat.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: foakes on May 01, 2022, 01:41:58 AM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on May 01, 2022, 01:14:12 AMYeah, I saw that and thought about gabbin' it but but ultimately decided against it since I have a NIB 1001 already. They're a nice little reel but I figured since I have 31 Cardinal 3s I didn't need another UL. A guy can only use one at a time.  ;)  ;D

True, Tom —-

However, I doubt that you would have paid as much as I did for it.

And most folks wouldn't either.

Best, Fred

Yeah, I've noticed that on a few Dams you've gobbled up in the past. :D 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

PacRat

I'm home all week. We're heading into the spring storm season so it'll get busy for a while.
-Mike

JasonGotaProblem

PM me a price if you'd be so kind. this sounds right up my alley

JasonGotaProblem

How do I modify the 1000 so I can just manually flip the bail? It flips no problem at the turn of a handle, but that's not how I like my reels. I wanna flip it manually. Manual-only is quite acceptable but not mandatory.

Fun little reel though. I may consider making it my full time travel reel. It casts almost as well as the 700 initially but I'm seeing subsequent distance lost to line digging as I'm way overfishing it losing fights to sharks this weekend. Fun though.

I can make a separate thread if appropriate.