Salmon Fishing, Moss Landing with Ben & Capt. Khanh April 19, 2022

Started by El Pescador, May 01, 2022, 04:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

FINALLY I am set to go salmon fishing for the first time in 5 years!!!!  Ben (aka: Alans Buddy) put this trip together.  Dominick was to go, but 3 days before GO TIME, he gubbered up his left knee, and in proper Baseball parlance, "He is on the Injured Reserve list for the current at-home series!!!" - So, it was Ben and I for this trip.
Salmon fishing out of Moss Landing has been good, here is April 2, 2022.

Now, DON'T get freaked out looking at Capt. Khanh's boat - the Connie T (named after his daughter) - it is a working boat, and often he will use it DAILY for months at a time.

Here is Ben, ready to go.  He too has not been out for Salmon Fishing for 5 years as well.

For us driving south on Hwy. 1 from Santa Cruz or north out of Monterey, we have all seen the twin stacks here in Moss Landing and never thought much of the sight.  Moss Landing Harbor is deserving of your attention!

We are underway with GLASS-like conditions, and it did NOT get any worst than this!!!!

Capt. K did some jigging for fresh bait - today's catch was anchovies, and he caught ONE small fish, and it caught 3 salmon for us!!!!

We were fishing for 20 minutes, and had 2 fish in the boat!!!

Capt. K was yaking with other fishing guys via shouting, Radio or cell phone.

Ben is on the rod, for his fish.

Capt. K is a bit particular on what to do when he is ready to net the fish, lots to say on WHAT YOU ARE TO DO!!!!

Fresh Salmon for Dinner!!!!

All-day long, TONS of bird life on the water...

Our set up for the entire day:

Penn Levelwind reels (all serviced by Alan) with FRESH 30 lbs. mono line,

Ugly Sticks 7'  12-30 lbs. rods

We caught 3 fish using Capt. K's BLue Dancer Double Barbless Hook hoochie rig

We caught fish at 45', 65' 85' and 180' deep off the downriggers!!!!

We spent all day 5-8 miles from the Harbor.  Easy day moving around on the water.

5 fish in the boat, DONE FOR THE DAY, Capt. Khanh gave his ONE fish to Ben & I to split.  That became Dominick & Linda's dinner fish!!!!

Back in the harbor.

Capt. K ready for surgery!!!!

I like his knife sharpener, Need to get one.

Now, I have NOWHERE to process my fish, been kicked out of our home, refrig water leak cupped the hardwood floors, and Jennifer and I are out of our home for 2 weeks starting TODAY, to have the sanding & staining completed.

So I ran the fish over to Construction Buddy Jim's home, he said he would process and freeze, and what a great job he did.  I told him to keep what he wanted and I'll pick up my fish in 2 weeks.

Man, I like the looks of his filet knife, need to ask him where he purchased that knife.

OF COURSE... Save the Salmon Collars!!!!!

All-day with fish delivery, Jennifer and I enjoyed dinner at BJ's Brew House, and I'm washing down the salt spray from my fishing day.

A great day Salmon fishing with Ben (Alans buddy) and Capt. Khanh, hope to see you both REEL soon!!!!

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

foakes

Thanks for the great report, as usual, Wayne —-

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Quote from: foakes on May 01, 2022, 04:38:17 PMThanks for the great report, as usual, Wayne —-

Best, Fred

Indeed. You are a great photo journalist Wayne. I love your attention to detail! Also, looks like you lucked-out on the water conditions—-a kayaker's dream. One first places I tried kayaking was up in the Slough there.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Dominick

Sorry I missed out on ideal conditions.  At least Linda and I had a great salmon dinner.  Thank you.  Good work on the fishing Jueno and Ben.  Jueno this is one great post as usual.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

David Hall

Jose Cuervo and I were out there yesterday, got a late start and had to park 1/2 mile down the highway.  The hike nearly did me in but we got out, fished the same area and managed to catch two real nice fish, tried hard to stay out to get another one or two but the wind did us in and we called it a day shortly after noon. Pretty awesome just to get out there and enjoy a great day on the water.

Hardy Boy

nice fish and a nice day. One correction Ben has been salmon fishing in the last three years ............. here in Hardy  ;)

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Thanks for thr great report Wayne.  Reading it was the next best thing to being there!

El Pescador

Quote from: Hardy Boy on May 02, 2022, 03:11:01 PMnice fish and a nice day. One correction Ben has been salmon fishing in the last three years ............. here in Hardy  ;)
Cheers:  Todd

Todd!!!

I am speaking of Salmon Fishing HERE in California.

Ben spoke of his fishing time with you in Port Hardy,

using words like:

- Combat
- Fighting Action
- Battle Attack
- Tackle Bust'n
- Hostile Action

KIDDING! ::)  but he did speak of his time with you and the weight of wax boxes of processed fish he brought back to San Mateo.

All in all, your area of the world is EPIC for all kinds of fishing.

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

gstours

Thanks for your report W.  Great weather always helps, good action,  great eating.
  Lots of pictures must mean it did happen.  Sharing is caring. :ct

pjstevko

Great trip and report!

I really need to get out on trip like this as I've never caught a salmon and my wife keeps tellin me she wants fresh salmon!!!!!

alantani

i just called to see how the boat is going.  it's not done yet.  it would be nice to get out and stick a few salmon.  just as well, probably.  reels are stacked up too high.  gotta clear out the mess first. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Hardy Boy

Ben looks like he was dressed for ice fishing !!

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

David Hall

Quote from: alantani on May 02, 2022, 06:05:59 PMi just called to see how the boat is going.  it's not done yet.  it would be nice to get out and stick a few salmon.  just as well, probably.  reels are stacked up too high.  gotta clear out the mess first. 

They're never done Alan Im dealing with bad battery problems and it happens so often im beginning to think the problem is............. operator error.........loose nut behind the wheel?    :o  ::) :d

Brewcrafter

Great day on the water, good fish, good food and a pint after - THAT's a TRIP!!!! - john