Blue fin hooks single vs treble

Started by Bill B, May 02, 2022, 12:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

While looking at jigs for blue fin tuna all are single hooks and never a treble.  But when kite fishing with flying fish there is a combo of single and treble trailing hook.  Wondering if a knife jig/ yo-yo iron with a treble at the bottom and assist hooks at the top would work.  We fish for yellowtails with trebles why not tuna.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

handi2

I just don't like treble hooks. They are too dangerous!

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

pjstevko

Bill a lot of the "sniper" style jigs are fished with treble hooks! And a couple of the heavy yo-yo jigs that are fished for bft have treble home on them

Cor

I can only comment on Yellowfin tuna.    We catch those thing on surface jigs (or plugs as we call them) and noticed that many do not stick to the hooks or come off later when using large trebles.

We then started experimenting with 12/0 singles and two large singles.

Although I have caught on all the combinations, I eventually decided two singles facing towards each other gave the best results.
Albacore Tuna get caught on irons that you sink and wind fast, but I can not remember what we did about hooks, I think a large single but not sure.

I agree that for Yellowtail a treble works best, though if he is hanging on a single there is no way he comes of the hook.
Cornelis

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

sciaenops

alantani

they are actually used commonly enough on flying fish rigs. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!