Penn 49 Mariner

Started by smazzola, May 07, 2022, 01:33:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smazzola

Dose the Penn 49 Mariner reel seat, angle down when screwed on the post or do I have a torque, bent reel seat? This was an eBay reel that was not represented truthfully. There has been a few things I have found. I believe this reel was rode hard.
😄

Swami805

Looks bent to me, aluminum spool though, that's a plus.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

smazzola

Yea, it looks bent to me too, & the studs do not line up with the rod clamp. I'm new to the Penn 49, thought I'd ask the experts. I updated the drags, I think it might make an interesting reel to troll for salmon. I live in SW Oregon, I will have to keep my eyes open for a use one.
😄

thorhammer

Those seats can be had for ten bucks. Nice trolling reels.

smazzola

I've been looking on eBay no luck so far. Any name of other sites that I might check? Thanks
😄

Keta

The part you need is a 30-49, Mystic Parts ( Mystic Parts Link) lists them as "No Longer Available".

Someone here might have one and I will look in my parts to see if I do.  FYI, I am in Klamath Falls.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

quabbin boy 62

i just ran downstairs and looked- all 3 of mine are at a right angle, so I'd say that one is bent. x2 what Keta gave you for parts, maybe find a reel at a garage sale for parts.

Gfish

What's the reel look like when attached to a rod? Bad angle? Does it tilt-up or down? Maybe the former owner tweaked it to fit into rod's seat-hoods.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Keta

I found a 30-49 in almost new shape, PM me your address and I will put it in the mail.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mikeysm

If you cant find one I have one whats the number on the seat. It should be the same as the 349 seat.

Keta

The 30-349 has 6 screw holes, the 30-49 has 4.

Mark Twain

Cuttyhunker

Keta has you hooked up with a like new stand, the best fix, I have played around with tweaked seats like yours in the past and "usually" with a little tapping out or some well placed torque to the soft brass you can get it to fit "good enough" again.  I still use 49's on east coast stripers, no complaints.  Do be careful of that second lever that puts the reel in knuckle buster mode.  If I'm having some greenhorns working the tackle I tie eccentric off to the cross post with some light twine locking in the anti reverse.
Good old reels.
Doomed from childhood

smazzola

Thank you all for responding, appreciate it. I will give Keta a PM we are practically neighbors, well a couple hours away. I have done a fair amount of duck hunting over the years out in the Agency Lake/Woods River area. Cheers!
😄

smazzola

To follow up: To get the eBay Penn 49 Mariner working properly, I had to replace the real seat previously stated and order a use chrome spool, that was the fix. I'm pretty sure the spool end pins where it rides in the side plate bushings was tweaked. When I button up the two side plates to the frame posts the spool would bind. Would not want to reel, hardly. It works great now, I'm sure I have more money into it then the reel is worth. It's ok, I had fun with it and the reel is for myself. Thanks to all for the comments and help and a special shout out to Keta for the PM back an forth and the reel seat.
😄

Keta

:0) 

Another old reel back in working order.

Mark Twain