Newell bridge sleeves

Started by fishhead69, May 07, 2022, 11:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishhead69

What is the difference between The Newell P3-317 and the P4-317 bridge sleeve or gear sleeve? Which Newell reels call for the P3-317 and which Newell reels take the P4-317? They look the same to me but there must be a difference.

Swami805

I don't have a schematic in front of me but the older reels with a 4 stack has a raised bump where the gear sleeve attaches to the bridge plate and the gear sleeve has an indentation to slide over it. Newer gear sleeves don't have the indentation and won't work on older bridges. Older gear sleeves will work on any bridge in the same series
Do what you can with that you have where you are

nelz

Quote from: Swami805 on May 08, 2022, 03:13:37 AMthe older reels with a 4 stack has a raised bump where the gear sleeve attaches to the bridge plate and the gear sleeve has an indentation to slide over it. Newer gear sleeves don't have the indentation and won't work on older bridges.

I found this out the hard way, I had a member here (vilters) send me a non-4-stack sleeve for my P338F (4-stacker) but it was totally not usable. It had several differences. I was able to modify it though, but it took alot of work:

> Drilled out the bottom opening to fit into the hump on the bridge
> Filed down the raised area under the sleeve, it needed to be flat
> Reshaped all the teeth because the dog shape and angle/position did not mesh properly
> Reshaped original dog to compensate the angle needed for this sleeve

Apparently, the dogs on later models have rounded tips. That explains why the sleeve teeth were shaped so differently.

The reason for swapping out the sleeve was I wanted to replace the main gear with one from a Penn 506. However, the 1st gen sleeve makes flat-backed gears ride too high because the original gears have a recessed underside for the 4-stack and sit lower. The later sleeve allows flat backed gears to sit properly.

Newell Nut

You should have bought the sleeve from Cortez Conversions which are designed to fit both old and new Newells. When you upgrade from an old 8 tooth sleeve to a newer 10 tooth sleeve you must change to a newer AR dog. The old AR dog for an 8 tooth sleeve will slip under load on a 10 tooth.

nelz

Quote from: Newell Nut on May 28, 2022, 02:05:47 PMYou should have bought the sleeve from Cortez Conversions
Yeah, but what fun would that have been?  ;D

Quote from: Newell Nut on May 28, 2022, 02:05:47 PMThe old AR dog for an 8 tooth sleeve will slip under load on a 10 tooth.

Yes, both the angle and shape of the newer dog & sleeve are totally not right for the older bridge. However, the way I reshaped all the teeth and the original dog now has it all meshing just right.

The 506 gear drops in just right now and works perfectly. But I would sure like to find an original Newell gear with recessed back though, but every gear out there seems to be flat-backed.

Jigtosser

Nelz,

I understand your problems...
I, have also performed the modifications you stated.
The four stack gear sleeves are, Different.
Carl was constantly changing things up to improve his Reels.
Having Known the Man and fished with him, He was always seeking to improve His REELS...
I have a earlier  G440 that is a 4 stack, It is the strongest 4/0 size reel I own.
It is kinda a one of, It is from the first run of G440's. Not a prototype.The internals are stronger, they were old parts from the original P series. The Graphite composite used in the frame and side plates is different.
It proved to be not cost effective, so the matrix was changed.

The Penn 506 main gear will work as you have said, but it will wear down faster than the Newell Stainless gear.It will be good for normal size fish.
But if the target fish are LARGE, it will have a short life.

All the 200, 300, and 400 size use the same sleeve and drag washers.
The DIFFERENCE is what model Newell you have.
I have fished every reel that the Man produced, plus many that never went into production.
The original 4 stack are the best I think.

You should be good with the mod's you have done

Fish it and post some pic's
You should be good.
Dan

Swami805

Are you looking for just the gear, no pinion?  I have one with the recessed back. Not sure if it's 5:1 or 4:1. How many teeth in the 5:1?   If you can use it Let me know

Swami805

Also I have a few of the early G's, my favorite series as well.  I don't think there's a better reel for light baits than an early G220 with 20lb mono

nelz

Quote from: Swami805 on May 29, 2022, 07:30:40 AMAre you looking for just the gear, no pinion?  I have one with the recessed back. Not sure if it's 5:1 or 4:1. How many teeth in the 5:1?  If you can use it Let me know

Mr.  Swami805,  I could definitely use a 5:1 recessed main, 58 teeth (I think, after multiple painful attempts at counting).  ::)  Wish I had asked here before relying on eBay. The pinion is fine, but the main, well, see this thread:

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=35016.0

I totally reshaped the dog though, so I'm gonna need to replace it if I acquire the gear and put back the original sleeve.

nelz

Quote from: Jigtosser on May 29, 2022, 04:51:59 AMCarl was constantly changing things up to improve his Reels.  Having Known the Man and fished with him, He was always seeking to improve His REELS...

... The original 4 stack are the best I think.

Wow, you walked with the legendary Carl eh? Cool!  :d

Yes, this is the first time I've encountered an original 4-stack and indeed it's internals look very high quality. Would be nice to get it back to its original parts.

Unfortunately the main gear appeared to be way off, which led me to trying one from a Penn 506, and into this whole sleeve fiasco/rabbit-hole I got into. I didn't want to hack-up the original 4-stack sleeve in case I ever ran into a good original (recessed) replacement gear.

If you haven't seen it, have a look:

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=35016.0

Swami805

I found the gear, 58 teeth. If you can use it pm me your address and I'll send it

nelz

Wow, thanks, I have been looking on eBay for a while and only found flat back ones.

Swami805

I have your info, I'll send it tomorrow
Some reason your PM doesn't show up on the site but there's a notification in my email with it. Strange

nelz

Quote from: Swami805 on May 30, 2022, 01:57:52 PMSome reason your PM doesn't show up on the site but there's a notification in my email with it. Strange

Has that happened with other members' PM's?

I think I figured this out... my session had probably expired when I sent the PM.

Swami805

Maybe that's it, I got a notification that you quoted me but no PM