Dam Quick 330

Started by old 1946, May 27, 2022, 08:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old 1946

Hello All
  I have 4 DQ 330s 2 have 3 screw side plates and 2 have 4 screw side plates.
Are the reels like ABU 3 screw or 4 screw as far as telling how old the reels are?

Believe none of what you hear
half of what you read
and all of what you see.

Gfish

I remember reading something about that, but what & where? That I don't recall. My 330's a '67 and has 3 holes. Vaguely in my mind is the thought that the 4-hole side-plate reels were the first. Fred(DAM Quick Guru)or Tommy(Spinning Reel Guru & Historian)or someone else may be along that know.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

old 1946

Quote from: Gfish on May 28, 2022, 03:13:34 PMI remember reading something about that, but what & where? That I don't recall. My 330's a '67 and has 3 holes. Vaguely in my mind is the thought that the 4-hole side-plate reels were the first. Fred(DAM Quick Guru)or Tommy(Spinning Reel Guru & Historian)or someone else may be along that know
Thanks for the reply.
half of what you read
and all of what you see.

foakes

Quote from: old 1946 on May 27, 2022, 08:05:24 PMHello All
Are the reels like ABU 3 screw or 4 screw as far as telling how old the reels are?

The DQ 330 is basically very near to the older Finessa 280/285 reels —- of which there were at least (4) variations over their Finessa production run.

When the Finessa series of various sized DQ reels came out in 1967 —- the 330 was basically a slightly modernized Finessa 285.  Many (most) of the parts will interchange.

These early 330's had an extra short screw at the rear of the casing on both sides.  This was for a more secure and tight mating of the (2) side plates that mounted to the frame.

In 1969, the frame only needed (1) sideplate on the off-handle side due to a new design that incorporated a solid frame and only one removable sideplate —- so the rear short screws were eliminated.

So you likely have two early 330's and two later versions.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Ok. I was wrong. Looked it up. The 4-hole was '67-'69. Then still in '69 they modified 'em to the 3-hole. So I godda '69 or latter. At first, I went by the date on the catalogue. Thanks Fred.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oldmanjoe

Yes the 280 and the 285 Finessa have 4 screws .  1956 thru 1970  .
  Some 330 had 4 screws also 1965 thru 1970
After 1970 3 screws .

This is a German site for dams , you may have to use google to translate .

http://www.saschas-sammler-homepage.de/rollendam3.html
Click on titles and pictures to open up all the information
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

old 1946

Quote from: foakes on May 28, 2022, 03:48:08 PM
Quote from: old 1946 on May 27, 2022, 08:05:24 PMHello All

The DQ 330 is basically very near to the older Finessa 280/285 reels —- of which there were at least (4) variations over their Finessa production run.

When the Finessa series of various sized DQ reels came out in 1967 —- the 330 was basically a slightly modernized Finessa 285.  Many (most) of the parts will interchange.

These early 330's had an extra short screw at the rear of the casing on both sides.  This was for a more secure and tight mating of the (2) side plates that mounted to the frame.

In 1969, the frame only needed (1) sideplate on the off-handle side due to a new design that incorporated a solid frame and only one removable sideplate —- so the rear short screws were eliminated.

So you likely have two early 330's and two later versions.

Best, Fred
Thanks for the reply Mr.Oakes.
half of what you read
and all of what you see.