Zeus 3-4 deflection values.

Started by gstours, May 31, 2022, 03:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

In an earlier post Alex may be waiting/working on a Zeus 3 jigging rod. 
  I,m thinking 🤔 also about the same blank and did make a Zeus 4 spiral 🌀 wrap jig rod for my heavier jigs.   
  By using a 5# weight the deflection of it is 16 inches.   What is the deflection of the Zeus 3 with 5#?   I'd like to know.   
  My testing of the jig rods and blanks is standardized to the 5# as in most rods won't go past 90 degrees as with earlier testing with more weight.   
  Is this a fairly common way to compare items ?   Just wondering?
I'll be done building rods when I can no longer see, or when the coffin ⚰️ lid is closed.  :d

steelfish

hey Gary, post some pictures of your Zeus 4, there are no much pictures of those blanks on the web.

I havent started with mine because I've been working to catch up with some customer rods before starting mine.

The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: gstours on May 31, 2022, 03:22:24 PMWhat is the deflection of the Zeus 3 with 5#?  I'd like to know. 
  My testing of the jig rods and blanks is standardized to the 5# as in most rods won't go past 90 degrees as with earlier testing with more weight. 
  Is this a fairly common way to compare items ?  Just wondering?

hey Gary, just until now I have time to get back to my blank, its still on the works but already installed both grips (still pending to put it on the lathe and sanding the grips) and the reelseat, right now Im working on spacing the guides, deciding if going acid wrap US-style Vs Aussie style Vs standar wrap, etc.
then I recall you asked me to the deflection pictures but I though you wanted a 10# deflection my bad, its 5# what you wanted.

any way, check the pictures, it was pretty late at nite so, they are kind of dark, the back patio doesnt have enough light but you will get the idea of the flex, it might not clear to notice it but all pictures were taken with 10# tool box lifted IN THE AIR, some pictures are with the rod at 120*, 90* and 60* aprox (like figthing a fish).

The Baja Guy

steelfish

this is the spiral transition I will do, inspired on the acid wrap jigging rods from "down under"

but in my case I will wrap the 2nd guide just a hair to the righ, almost 0* (centered) but bit tilted to the right, I know its not the conventional way to wrap an acid rod (normally used) but as I would like to try it 2-3 times and make my own idea, worst scenario I will wrap it back to normal acid wrap with the 2nd guide 45* angle to the left.
The Baja Guy

gstours

Thanks Alex,  after two seasons of use I've enjoyed my z4.
  This summer I did some rod repairs for donations.  I ordered a z3 blank and am waiting for it's arrival,  apparently about a 3-6 month wait for orders not in stock.
  It will be a nice winter project, and am becoming impatient. :al  :cf
More on this when I can.

steelfish

Quote from: gstours on October 18, 2022, 08:01:46 PMThanks Alex,  after two seasons of use I've enjoyed my z4.
  This summer I did some rod repairs for donations.  I ordered a z3 blank and am waiting for it's arrival,  apparently about a 3-6 month wait for orders not in stock.
  It will be a nice winter project, and am becoming impatient. :al  :cf
More on this when I can.

cool thanks for the feedback on your Zeus 4, by chance do you have pictures or a video using the rod?
The Baja Guy

gstours

Alex and all,  my bad again.  I never got any reel prize fish yet using the z4 in pictures to show.  For some reason the better fish would bite on other (2) spiral rod jigs,  and the standard Trevalla h.  Next season is hoping to replace those rods with my own creations.   Kinda like you?🎣🐟
  Butt I did find a couple of pictures with the z4 in my deflection testing standardized testing wall mount jig to share below.   Using the 10 pounds the deflection is approximately 27 inches,  the rods are always at the same angle and the forward fulcrum is centered under the reelseat.
  All comments are welcome here in that we might learn from each other's doings.🐠🌀🤔

Dominick

big question, why do you use the reel seat as the fulcrum?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelfish

Quote from: gstours on October 21, 2022, 04:44:08 PMFor some reason the better fish would bite on other (2) spiral rod jigs,  and the standard Trevalla h.

thats what it was happening to me ALWAYS !!

All the good fish were caught on the factory rods so, one day after coming back from a fishing trip I was seeing my pictures and said, enough, I wont be carrying a factory rod anymore to any of my next fishing trips.
and put a for sale tag on every factory rod from my personal arsenal, I just kept two of them for use them as loaners for good friends but I will rebuild them in a chance with my personal touch.

The Baja Guy

gstours

Reply.  Mr. Dominic, if all rod deflection tests are standard with the angle and placing of the rod uniform the testing might be more meaningful.
  By holding the rod in the fore part, and the move forward from this defined fulcrum position will change the dynamics of the equation..........
 I'm not an expert butt, I think this is worth sharing in a definitive way.....
    Earlier my goal was to use 5# as the testing criteria,  much earlier, I was using a 10# load,  this was generally loading the medium to light (150-300 gram) rods straight down to 90 degrees,  hence no longer good deflection can be measured.
  Call 📞 me crazy,  I,m into this for the learning curve.🤮

Dominick

Gary, I agree that moving the fulcrum point would change the dynamics of the equation, but realistically the rod is held at the foregrip.  So any testing should be from that point. Just my opinion.  I am surprised the rods did not break using the reel seat point.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

gstours

Alex, how tall in mm is your first guide ( to the bottom of the insert)? 
I have used a 12 and 16 in my builds, in your above pictures you can see how the taller the guide that you have now room to grip the foregrip with out the line contact with the back of your hands.  This is possibly an improvement in design from the normal?

gstours

Dominic old friend, :cf  thanks for your reply,  as I thought about what you said about the fulcrum point/fore grip area vs the reel seat in my deflection testing I'm thinking it could be eather one.  When I started doing this a few years ago it's what I did.
  Uniform placement needs to be in the equation I think 🤔. As maybe the butt angle should be too?  It's hard for most people to hold the rod with 5-10 pounds and generally obtain an accurate measurement so this is why you see a "fixture " to place the testing rod into leaving the fisherman free to photograph and remeasure.
  My hat's off to every post and picture here,  I'm learning from you people,  Maybe 🤔  :ct :ct

steelfish

Quote from: gstours on October 24, 2022, 03:37:38 AMAlex, how tall in mm is your first guide ( to the bottom of the insert)? 
I have used a 12 and 16 in my builds

I dont have the exact measure of my current 20 LC guide but I will share some info from the web so you can see and compare.
Getbit outdoors and mudhole along others stores have the fuji 20LC guide

Quote from: gstours on October 24, 2022, 03:37:38 AM......in your above pictures you can see how the taller the guide that you have now room to grip the foregrip with out the line contact with the back of your hands.  This is possibly an improvement in design from the normal?
Well, its not an NEW improvement in design, its actually the intended IDEA of the LC guide, to use a tall guide with a small eye so, your line will be forced to stay at that distance from the blank, I understand this guide was "invented" to be use on surf Spinning rods so, you keep the coils of the line coming from the reel away from the blank, someone saw the idea and applied to a jigging rod as striper guide with the goal to keep the line high and give your room to grip your foregrip without cutting yourself on your hand with the line (dont ask me how I know that).

The Baja Guy

gstours

Thanks Alex for sharing this with us.  I like the idea and it would even be better for the spiral stripper to have an even smaller diameter ring to keep the line centered on the rod in the start of the transition.  Just me? :al
  I didn't want to hijack your thread .  So briefly,
Here's some findings of my comparison work.  This probably does no help anybody.
  It's only a way to quantify an assumption.