How To Remove Spool Bearings Embedded in Endcaps ( 980 )

Started by hotajax, June 03, 2022, 10:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotajax

After you take out the endcaps for the spool, how are the bearings removed from the endcaps? Thanks.

handi2

Because they are in a blind hole you have to catch the inside of the bearings and work them out.

I have two sets of the ReelSpeed bearing pullers

Look on the site for how to do this
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

oldmanjoe

Were you able to remove the bearing from the cap yet ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

hotajax

No, I don't have the tools to do it without probably damaging it. 

handi2

Is it damaged? Use a Q tip or similar to turn it

If you feel any roughness it's bad
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

hotajax

x

oldmanjoe

Quote from: hotajax on June 04, 2022, 01:11:08 AMNo, I don't have the tools to do it without probably damaging it. 
There are several ways to remove the bearing from the cup.  You can use a common nail head to hold onto the bearing  or make other tool very similar .   This may help .
 https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=34478.0

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13.0
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

hotajax

I don't get much spin time, will see if there's any roughness and go from there.  Thanks for posting that information.  Your Harbor Freight trick was cool.  One thing about HF tools is that they won't break the bank.  Probably would cost more to drive there than the cost of the tool. 

hotajax

Quote from: handi2 on June 04, 2022, 12:18:45 AMBecause they are in a blind hole you have to catch the inside of the bearings and work them out.

I have two sets of the ReelSpeed bearing pullers

Look on the site for how to do this
Are the 2 Reelspeed sets for sale?

Gfish

What kinda reel? The type of bearing cup might be important...

Edit; ok, I got it-a 980.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Swami805

Take a small cheap screwdriver, heat it up to make a tiny crow bar type end, semi u shape. If you have a screwdriver from Penn or another reel try that. Just need enough to get under the bearing    You might need to file the end a little
Also the head of a box nail and a pair of vice grips will work
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

I've done all kinds of things to get these bearings out. A propane torch always works.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

bonsai

If one has a tolerance ground steel rod, or drill bit to fit the bearing, Fill the bearing shaft hole as full of grease as ya can. Place the endcap on a solid surface insert the rod or chuck end of the drill bit into the hole and give a quick firm smack with a hammer. The hydraulic force will pop it right out. Easiest with larger bearings

Jenx

I'm not familiar with that reel, but recently I was having problems removing a rusted bearing from a Newell cup. I had been working at it for a few days with no luck.

Someone recommended to me the bread technique to remove a stuck bearing (video below), and that worked like a charm.I used a mallet and the shaft of a drill bit.