Shakespeare 2400 Convertible Make-Over

Started by Paul Roberts, June 09, 2022, 08:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts

Years ago I had a Shakes' 2400. I don't remember where I got it. And I don't remember how long I had it. But it wasn't long enough. When I lost it...it left a hole. I'd left it behind -at midnight- on a boat ramp. Discovering the error, only a few miles down the road, we spun around and sped back to see taillights leaving the lot. We chased that car, flashing our lights, but they just accelerated, and we let it go.

Now, decades later... I don't need another light-duty spinning reel. But, that hole was still there. That little reel had impressed me. I remembered describing its smooth action as "like glass". The only thing I didn't like about it was the blue color. It just wasn't "serious" enough. So I sprayed it black, taking the time to mask all the raised relief designs on the body.

Every once in a while over the ensuing years, I've looked at 2400's on-line, never intending to buy one. I'd find them here and there. But there weren't a ton of them made, I suppose, or for very long. Things were beginning to move mighty fast in the reel production industry by then. Or, possibly, anglers just didn't want to give them up. Few came up at "steal" prices, that's for sure. And... I didn't need another light-duty spinning reel. By then, and since(!), my GoTo UL spinner has been a Shakes' Sigma 2200-030. My GoTo light spinner was, and still is(!), an ABU/Garcia C3. And then there are the Daiwa SS700  and 1300 I'll use on occasion. Oh yes, and a 2200-035...

Then, this past winter, it was time to fill that hole. So, I bit. I wanted that lost reel back. And I had plans for it. Especially for the blue color that such a serious fishing machine has been forced to wear all these decades! I couldn't wait to have my serious 2400 back!

I'm always excited when a new old reel arrives in the mail to tinker with and, most often, resuscitate. But I just couldn't wait to get that little 2400 onto the bench. It came in needing a thorough cleaning of course. And it was also a bit dinged up. But being a quality reel it was mechanically fully-functioning. It was well used, but not abused.

The bearings, esp the rotor bearing, are always suspect and I listen for that telltale gritty hiss that most old spinners come in with. Oftentimes cleaning the bearing out thoroughly and lubing it with a viscous oil will quiet it down to tolerable level. If not, I go to a thin grease. If still intolerable, I replace the bearing(s). This 2400 was made tolerable with SuperLube grease. The action, almost glass-like. I'll likely replace the rotor bearing at some point.

I could finally get to the aesthetics: Some "serious black". Loving the look of the DAM Quick's, I went with wrinkle paint (VHT). Despite reading, and watching, up on it, I ended up finding out that the most important part to get that good even wrinkle texture, besides a clean greaseless surface, is scuffing up the reel body's slick surface. I used a green kitchen scratcher pad and you can see in the photos the few small places I didn't rough up enough, that stayed smooth. A heat gun seemed to make no difference.

The one part of the plan that was dashed, was a brass-colored spool, like exists on my Abercrombie & Fitch (Langley/Zebco) 200/6. Very classy touch I think. But, I could not find a rich brass colored spray paint. I checked all the hardware stores, the craft stores, and on-line to no avail. So, I settled for satin black, leaving the spool lip clean (and buffed) aluminum.

The only masking I did was for the raised "2400 DC" on the faceplate, and the plastic bail trip bumper, using a latex craft mask that rolled right off after the paint was dry.

It came out well enough I think. OK, it's a boss-looking little reel! The rest of the stable is going to have to move on over. There's a serious new fishing machine moving in.

Speaking of the stable... do you see the gaping hole? There's a void right there between that beautiful A&F 200/6 and that spiffy SS1300! But... I really don't need another light-duty spinning reel...

Wompus Cat

You came to Bury Shakespeare Not to Fish Him .....lol

Fish Should All Beware
     As there is a Shakespeare Out There
       This Reel is From  Long  Past
          And it's Gonna KICK BASS
              A very Nice Haul
          You Now Have There Paul
                  :fish
Excellent Job.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Midway Tommy

Nice gaggle you've got there, Paul!  8)  You are well armed!  :D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

DougK

excellent ! a very handsome job on the serious black, too..

I don't need another UL/L spinner, but that hasn't stopped me yet ;-)

Gfish

Seems to be good prices for those Shakes. on da bay. The maroon series not so much... That 2400 looks like a tough little spinner.

The pie cut on that stump, too deep, should be 1/3 stump diameter and back-cut—-2/3. 🤪😜 I know huh?, shut-up, Mr. know it all, Gfish.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

sandbar

Paul Roberts

Thanks, All. I've got to crop those pics. Can't see the reel for the greenery!

Quote from: Gfish on June 10, 2022, 08:43:38 PMThe pie cut on that stump, too deep, should be 1/3 stump diameter and back-cut—-2/3. 🤪😜 I know huh?, shut-up, Mr. know it all, Gfish.
No backcut at all. That is an 18+" dia. dead-fallen beech. (Losing a lot of them from beetles, nematodes, and root rot. Worried they may all go like the elms, chestnuts and ash.) All bucking cuts. Doing the rest soon. And... you can do all the "know-it-all" stuff you like. I plan to be a know-it-all someday. :)

PS: Greg, I think this is what you were referring to? Nice hinge, eh?

CincyDavid

How did I miss this thread?  Very cool look. I have never refinished a reel, I just get them mechanically sound and live with the patina.  I figure NOBODY will steal a raggedy-looking old reel, no matter how smoothly it operates.

happyhooker

Yeah, I, too, missed this blog the 1st time around.  A good story, a nice reel and a great finish on the cleanup & refurb.

I've lost a few reels as well, but none that I hanker to replace.  Not the same with an old red Heddon 5 ft. UL rod "Pal 1".  Limp noodle as far as action & my wife used it a lot more than I did, but I sure miss seeing that old rod around.  Check the Big Auction Site pretty regularly, but this 'un seldom shows up there.  Maybe someday....

Frank