Reel handle

Started by eppy55, July 18, 2022, 09:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eppy55

Hi Alan, I have been looking everywhere for a handle (977422) for my Abu Garcia cardinal 4. Would you perhaps have one or know where I could get one? Thank you for your help and your site. It is truly remarkable.      Trevor Calhoun.

alantani

trevor, welcome.  are you certain of the part number?  i don't have anything like that here, but i did find this on ebay.uk 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183759326022
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Welcome aboard, Trevor —-

Pretty sure I have those handles.

If you post a photo of your reel —- and confirm the part number —- should be able to provide you with one.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Alan posted the right part for the part # Trevor posted.

The correct part # for the ABU Garcia Cardinal/C 3, 4 and 4X is 977381 or 14777. They are both the same part, ABU just changed the part number on later schematics. New ones have "Worm Gear System" in red letters on the shaft. The "C5" handle is a little larger but will work on both the 3s & 4s.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Found two, Trevor —-

(1) good used for $18 —- (1) new for $28.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

Unless you are a PURIST and want to keep that Reel all Original there should be a gaggle of handles that will work including aftermarket on the ol Bay.
Might need to do some measuring but ............
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Wompus Cat on July 19, 2022, 03:36:13 PMUnless you are a PURIST and want to keep that Reel all Original there should be a gaggle of handles that will work including aftermarket on the ol Bay.
Might need to do some measuring but ............

Nope, Henry, only handles from that specific line/group will work. They are unique in their design & fit.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Wompus Cat

I see said the Blind man........
Got to lookin at my Cardinal Arsenal and they got different patterns all over the place .
What kinda Whopper Jawed,Gilflirted,Rinky Dink deal is that ...lol
One of em is Dang near Round .
THis is pretty much all the Zebbie Cardinal stuff I got .

Midway Tommy

Henry, T

The 2 or 3? SS handles with round rubber knobs are aftermarkets called Gator Grips. A lot were sold by Bass Pro. They'll fit any original ABU or Zebco Cardinal 3, 4, 6 or 7. The SS handles with no knobs are original ABU & Zebco Cardinal replacement handles. They need the knob and short screw (both which came separately). The black handles look to possibly be for the 650 or 750 series'. The light green drag knob is for an early ABU or Zebco Cardinal 6 or 7 since it only has 8 numbers on it, if you want to be a purist. After a couple of years those had 10 numbers, but it will any 6 or 7. The 4 black drag knobs are for the black Japanese made fulcrum brake ABU Garcia Cardinal 4, 4X & 5. They won't fit the Cardinal 3. No idea regarding that gear or rotor since I can't see them very well.     

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Wompus Cat

Thanks Tommy I been digging and found another box of all Cardinal stuff.Many in Bags with part numbers.
like 8616,8698,8709,8621,194,8684,8647,8661 bearing,8660gear, 86#s23 bail spring,8626,8716 handle and prob 50 more diff part #'s and I have another box to go through .
Holler if you need anything I might have you need .

Midway Tommy

Henry,

Check your older Cardinal 6 & 7 schematics for those part # applications. A couple may also fit the Cardinal 4 as they overlap. The 194 is the 6 & 7 sideplate screw.

PM me if you need a parts list or schematics. I have everything you need to inventory what you have.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Wompus Cat

QuotePM me if you need a parts list or schematics. I have everything you need to inventory what you have.

Thanks . Looks like I have bunch of diff handles and knobs.Some packages marked Cardinal 4 some 6 and some 7.
a few White Drag Knobs I assume go on the older Reels?.