Putting together my fall gulf trip rods

Started by Wolfram M, August 02, 2022, 11:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfram M

Learning as I go. did my test casting and adjusted the guides a bit, and then tied them on. I did the grips and reel seat first, as you do...but forgot to put on any kind of winding check on in front of the foregrip.

Real simple, just a grey trim and a red guide wrap, the guides are the Fuji BC grey and the thread is supposed to be as well.

I started at the tip-trying to avoid a repeat of last time.

This time I'm going to try a decorative wrap near the butt, and I want to use the bind-off near the grip to hold the top of the hookholder, and the bottom hookholder wrap should have butted up to the winding check...that I forgot to put on.

Gonna be a few nights to get the wrap done, I am using size A thread and doing 12 threads an evening before bed.

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

I like it. I never use winding checks. I fill in the end of the foregrip with a bit of epoxy and shove in a bunch of the sawdust from reaming and shaping the cork.  Then I'll just do a thread band above that. So far I've been very happy with the results.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

thorhammer

Very clean looking; agree with Jason- winding checks are nice but rarely do I have one in the size I happen to be needing. Trim band and epoxy ramp to the foregrip, as above. Wrap your hook keeper in two trim bands and call it a day.

I built a similar wrapper...two suggestions: glue down some felt or leather in the "V", and wrap a piece of that masking tape on the rod where it hits. Second, on the butt end stand, I screw in two plastic drawer wheels centered on the V for the but to rest in. Way easier hand turning. Maybe not as much on rods taht size but def is nice on trolling rods, live bait, surf etc., where there is more hand torque needed.

Looking forward to finished pics!!

Wolfram M

OK. The wrapping is done; except for the front of the foregrip where I need to mix epoxy. I'm down to just needing to mix epoxy for the wraps, which has me a bit cautious.

Here's a shot of the maze wrap I did on the butt section. First time doing a butt wrap, I got tired of doing it without my magnevisor so I blocked it out with some black wraps and bound it down.

The phone has a hard time focusing in on the rod, if there is nothing behind it to grab the focus. Tomorrow is wrap finishing day. Wish me luck, for I'll need all of it plus a bit.

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

JasonGotaProblem

Dude for a first attempt, that's looking excellent. I don't think I could do that.

oldmanjoe

I see you are the kid that seen a puddle and jumped in with both feet ...
      You are doing real good and i agree about trying to photograph fishing rods .

Look forward to see the finished stick .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Wolfram M

I thought I picked a pretty basic one, it was kind of a pain but it was because my eyes aren't good enough anymore to see the tiny threads with my glasses on, and with my glasses off I gotta get up 6" from the work.

It's just a diamond wrap with the crosses and colors done in a rotation around the center point. I screwed up and double-colored one side so the centers of the diamonds do not line up with the rest of the hardware. The wrap is rotated about 15 degrees from everything else.

JasonGotaProblem

Like, I know it's just geometry and order of operations, not voodoo. But I have to remind myself that, because it looks like voodoo.

Bill B

Quote from: Swami805 on August 21, 2022, 03:04:36 AMLooking good!

If Sheridan likes it you are All Good.  I had the pleasure of fishing one of his rods and he knows his stuff!  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

steelfish

nice, looking forward to see the finished rod
The Baja Guy

Wolfram M

Well the epoxy went on today. It'll have a few warts, apparently epoxy pulls any tiny bit of a thread tag out even when I was certain it was perfect. No big deal, it'll be ok.

As soon as the first coat of LS supreme cures enough to handle I'll get some photos up.

steelfish

Quote from: Wolfram M on August 23, 2022, 12:25:38 AM.....

As soon as the first coat of LS supreme cures enough to handle I'll get some photos up.

I never had good luck with LS Supreme epoxy, in my zone (Baja, Mx, desert zone) it never cured 100% hard, switched to Diamond II and never had that problem, another epoxy that works for me is the good'old Flexcoat.
The Baja Guy

Shellbelly

Nice selection of colors!  BTW, are those salt and pepper shakers in the background?  Momma's gonna gitcha, son!

I'd like to see your setup.  Looks homemade.  I have a spot in the garage that would work well but need some ideas.  I got in hot water when I occupied the kitchen for this.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)