DIY Sabiki Rod for cheap $

Started by Bill B, August 07, 2022, 07:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Came across this video of a DIY sabiki rod made from 3/4" Schedule 40 pvc.  Heck for the price of a stick of pvc might be worth trying.  Might get laughed off the SOA 🤣🤣🤣🤣. Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill B

A thought just occurred to me, use a 3/4" to 1/2" to reduce the tip section to 1/2" and another coupler for the tip to hold the sinker...but then the price goes up...Bill

oldmanjoe

I have made a few.  I used 1/2 pvc schedule 40    Heat gun to bell the top helps feed the hooks    Run the line down through and out the back.    You could make or add a reel
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Bill B

Quote from: oldmanjoe on August 07, 2022, 09:02:44 PMI have made a few.  I used 1/2 pvc schedule 40    Heat gun to bell the top helps feed the hooks    Run the line down through and out the back.    You could make or add a reel

Joe, do you think the 1/2" pvc is stiff enough for 3 or 4 mackerel on the line?  Bill

oldmanjoe

Yep it will give you a thrill when it bends ,but bounce back it will!!!
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Ron Jones

I happen to have an old Martin fly reel that would be perfect for this!

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bill B

What are the chances of getting the SOA to make a bait stop.  If so I will put one together.  Bill

Ron Jones

The first AT SOA trip had horrible bait, so we made bait as much as we fished. You just never know, I always bring a sabiki or 5!
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Swami805

If you're making bait on a long range trip use your 30lb set up and at least a 4oz sinker to keep your line straight, a sabiki full of mackerel can cause a horrible tangle. Reel straight up relatively fast to keep everything straight
Do what you can with that you have where you are

JasonGotaProblem

I remember a fella was trying to sell this exact build with a trash spinner for like $40 on CL back in like 2020.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.