What is this thing ?

Started by oldmanjoe, August 11, 2022, 01:19:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

Any body have a idea what this is , or does  ?
Strange chunk of steel !!   ::)  ::)
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Wompus Cat

I am going out on a limb here but judging from the obvious attempts at drilling ,turning ,and gouging  I would classify it as a

BOO BOO !
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Shellbelly

Beats me, but it must've been important.  I'd call it a bushing that somebody seriously felt it had to be messed with.  Looks like it was pressed in and spun out.  Part of a failed chuck or collet, maybe?

I bet it was a noise maker and somebody had to find out why.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

JasonGotaProblem

It looks like a part I've seen in the bottom of an upright washing machine.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

It is a do-dingus for a thermathrockle.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JasonGotaProblem

Also, these days it looks like a $78 surprise. If you're lucky.

Brewcrafter

Given that the groves around the part in question are not concentric, and there is a random hole though it; I am just going to use an FAA term and attribute it to "Catastrophic Failure". - john

Wompus Cat

I THINK I see it in the bottom of this container.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

mhc

'Joe made' coil spring mandrel?

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

oldmanjoe

https://alantani.com/smileys/default/cheesy.gif
 Interesting   "Scrap "  "Joe made " Found in the bottom of this container ,"Looks like a catastrophic
 failure"     Possible made with the tool on top of container , was a noise maker .

I did find it in the bottom of the washing machine , because i forgot to remove it from my pants pocket , after my wife did a load of laundry .     

For the time being , i`ll call it Do dingus because that is probably the only way someone would pay 78 dollars for it
  It does not make springs , but a possibility 
            So what is it IMG_1027.jpg
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Shellbelly

Quote from: oldmanjoe on August 11, 2022, 05:36:46 PMI did find it in the bottom of the washing machine , because i forgot to remove it from my pants pocket ,

Noise maker!  Told ya!  It goes in the junk drawer.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Midway Tommy

Well, if was in my pocket and later found in the bottom of the washing machine it would, under no uncertain circumstances, be a "wife p!$$er offer"!  :-[  ::)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

JasonGotaProblem

Ok so drill bit goes thru the center hole to spin the assembly, so the screwdriver (that's just a flathead right? Or is it some type of file) can be used to either score something? Either that or a stuck bearing loosener.

After seeing joes unorthodox uses for tools, I've learned to think outside the box if I'm trying to guess what he's up to.

Alan Matsuno

Practice, with a new lathe?

I have a 5 gal bucket of oak from learning how to use a: table saw, planer, joiner, and router .

Billet of steel, run through the lathe.