DAM Quick 221 — High Speed

Started by foakes, August 11, 2022, 06:40:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

The year was 1968.

A year earlier, DAM Quick had introduced a new line of spinning reels.  The 110 Microlite, the 220, 330, and 550.

The acceptance and demand for these new reels, although they were expensive for their day —- was overwhelming.

The gear ratio on the 110 was 1:5.  The 220 & 330 were 1:3.

There was something missing, although only a few anglers would ever realize or know what was missing —- and for those that would appreciate the slight change in the 330 and 220 —- DQ came out in '68 with special high speed versions of these reels —- a 221 & a 331.

These had special gears and longer crank handles for better control and power transmission.

Knowing anglers needed a tough, strong, and capable high speed reel for retrieving bait more naturally with the current.  Plus in some cases a faster retrieve of a lure was needed.

Both the 331 and the smaller 221 were limited production runs.

For every (30) 330's, only one 331 was made.

For the smaller 221 —- the production ratio was much less.  About 1 in 50.

This morning, before going into town, I put together a new 221 from new parts out of the bins.

This is not a repaint.  It is a new reel just as the parts came from the factory.  Every part has been burnished to remove bin tarnish of 54 years, modern synthetic lubes.

This is a small but very capable spinning reel at only 11 ounces.

If someone wants this reel —- $100 and I will split the shipping.  Figure $105 to your door via Priority Mail.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

Is there a Lifetime WARRANTY with this ? :cf   ;D
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

jgp12000

I love my DQ 220, that 221 looks great Fred! I have to stop looking at this... I know the 1000 might be a superior reel but IMO the emblems on the older DQs and the AR lever design/sound just do it for me. It seems like with care, could virtually last forever.

Milan S

What a beauty...!!!

:o

If I lived anywhere in America, Fred, believe me, you and I would see each other very often, hang out and exchange ideas and gadgets. As it is, looking from Serbia, there are not many possibilities for that.

happyhooker

Beautiful reel; for the build quality, you probably can't find anything close on the "new" reel market for that amount of $$.

Frank

foakes

Quote from: Wompus Cat on August 11, 2022, 10:26:46 AMIs there a Lifetime WARRANTY with this ? :cf  ;D

Yes, there is a lifetime warranty, Henry —-

Plus it will include a new extra bail spring.

And, as always, no payment until after you receive the reel and are satisfied with the finished product.

I take a lot of pride in my work —- and with 40+ years of experience and the superior, bullet-proof engineering and design of the DQ's —- it is never a problem to stand behind one's work.

The system I have developed with organized parts readily accessible, no clutter, good tools and techniques, and specializing in only a few quality brands —- makes a build come together in an hour.  And also guarantees a repeatable solid outcome —- regardless of how the reel arrives on the bench.

Might have worked on over 10,000 of these DQ's.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

foakes

Sold to a member.  Plus an order for a matching 331.

Thanks!

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

sandbar

I need to pay more attention.
Nice reel

BocaSnook1

Fred,

Just got home from work.  I would have grabbed that DAM Quick 221 in a second!

The new owner is getting a great reel!

Tad

mo65

The 221 is my favorite Quick...I fish one...what a fantastic reel!

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

The member who wanted the high-speed 221 asked if by chance I might have a high speed 331 available.

Put it together from new parts out of the bins yesterday.

Not a repaint —- all original factory finish.

This combo makes a great lifetime pairing.

Also sent out a spare bail spring for each reel.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Paul Roberts

Wow. Spanking new! Definitely a deal!

El Pescador

Fred, THANK YOU for the anonymity using NO NAMES!!!  I appreciate that very much!

BUTT... let me sheepishly walk into the light from the unknown darkness...

It is I - El Pescador! who asked for both the BRAND NEW DQ 221 and asked Fred to throw in a similar quality DQ 331.

I have two words!!!!   STUNNING!!!

Both are clean as a whistle, accurate to the condition Fred stated in his post.  Cranks like a queen, and for the first time, I am tempted to make BOTH REELS Shelf Queens.  Until now, every reel I own is fished, some more than others, BUTT all have time on the water and all catch fish.

And Fred!  How you package a reel for shipment!!!!  POSTAL SERVICE IMPERVIOUS to Damage!!!!

Reels in a cloth bag!!!

Cloth bags in a padded Shipping bag...

Then in the FIRST BOX, well padded again.

And that wrapped box in another box!!!

Fred you wrap like a MAD DOG  :o

And the reels ALWAYS arrive in FLAWLESS CONDITION!!!!  Thank you SIR :al

All your reels arrive in perfect condition, you state the condition of the reel EXACTLY as it is, and you communicate during the shipping process, which I like, and your prices are more than fair to the buyer.

Now I need to make room for them in the garage, more on that later.

I'm happy as a lark!!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

mo65

Fantastic purchase Wayne...and always stellar work Fred...those are iconic reels.  :fish
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Bora

This is excellent to see, great work and enjoy the fishing!