headed north....

Started by alantani, August 12, 2022, 01:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

it's a long ways away, port hardy.  beautiful scenery, great people, and good fishing.  honestly, it is very expensive.  i've gone with ben every time.  i think that this is my 4th trip.  he really likes the place.  the first time, the guy called up and said, "hey, let's go fishing!  port hardy!  todd lives up there!!!"  ok, in!  didn't ask how much.  definitely more heading north than heading south to mexico.  we'll start calling this a trip of "firsts!!!"

august 13, 2022

so, it's the first time i slept in an airport overnight.  we left san francisco for seattle, then seattle to vancouver with a midnight arrival time.  the guy that had the hotel room came in from the east coast.  midnight for us was 3am for him, plus his phone goes on "do not disturb" at midnight east coast time.  not being able to get in touch with him, it was either get a hotel for $500 or sleep in the airport for 5 hours.  easy choice!  i stretch out on a bench and i'm out in 5 minutes.

now we go from the vancouver terminal to the "south" terminal to catch our commuter flight to port hardy.  there was a warning about fog and how we might not be able to land.  keep that little tidbit of information.  it will come into play later in the week.

an hour later we are wheels down in port hardy.  piece of cake!

we will be staying at the serengeti lodge.  todd picked us up and took us to the liquor store, then on to the lodge.
christine will be our chef!

august 14, 2022

the first morning of fishing, christine has our breakfast ready, as well as a cooler with lunch.  we board the boats and take off.  ben and james jr. are in the first boat.

jim sr. and i are in the second boat.

it's really pretty, here!

we fished an area called "the wall."

my first tyee.  i got lucky and stuck a 30 pound salmon.  anything 30 pounds or more is a tyee and you get a hat from the lodge!

another nice dinner and a few rounds of poker!

august 15, 2022

fishing with jim, sr. again.  we headed out with dave to start with halibut and lingcod.

jim got a couple of nice fish!

i got a nice halibut and a nice lingcod

then it's back to the wall for salmon.  ben and james, jr and there already.

jim hooked into a nice fish.  unfortunately it broke off.  no hat for jim.

still, a beautiful day.

august 16, 2022

last day.  back to an area just south of the wall.  today in get to fish with ben.  our special deckhand is todd!!!

ben got a couple of nice fish!

i got another tyee, 31 pounds. another first!

just another day in paradise.

this evening we will be having dinner with the johanssen's home!

impressive man cave.

dinner was even more impressive!

august 17, 2022

we picked up our fish at the processors. 

then headed to the airport.  it was socked in with fog, so the plane couldn't land.  instead of a 10am flight, it was a 6pm flight and we missed our connection.

at least we had a nice dinner in vancouver's chinatown!

august 18, 2022

home a day late, but home safely.  the fish was still frozen solid.  it was great fishing with ben, jim sr, james jr and todd.  and thanks to serengeti charters in port hardy!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Brewcrafter

That is a cool report! - john

Bill B

What a great trip.  Thank you for taking us along.  BTW did Todd actually get you to use a mooching reel?  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

sciaenops

Quality fish! Was looking into that area so good to know it produces. Hard to find great value destinations anymore like Mex used to be.

gstours

Thanks Alan and friends for sharing your pictures with us less fortunate.🎣🤗
  Epic.......

alantani

the direct drive reels are pretty easy to use.  it's pretty simple to maintain constant pressure.  wouldn't want to tackle any southern california species, but salmon are easy. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

steelfish

thanks Alan for sharing the story and pictures, its a great scenario what Todd have there
The Baja Guy

MeanMachine

Looks like a great trip! Thanks for sharing your Alan. I really like your videos.  Also nice quality fish!   

Damian

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!