DAM Quick 1001 Microlite

Started by foakes, August 16, 2022, 03:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

The year was 1982.

The DQ 1001 was the smallest of the '01 & '02 Series of reels at only 7.6 ounces.

Fold down bail, folding handle, steel and bronze machine cut gears, worm drive, aluminum skirted spool, high speed 1:5, all aircraft grade aluminum.

These particular 1001's are rare, because most folks won't give theirs up.  Once you fish it —- the smoothness and reliability are apparent as appreciated.

What sets the 1001 apart from the 1000 —- is the "Black Ops" treatment.  Black exterior casing, black drag knob, black crank knob, black crank arm.

This one has been fully refurbished with new casing parts, crank, knobs, and many other new parts.  It is not a repaint —- the parts are factory original.

$110 and I will split the shipping with you.  So figure $115 delivered to your door via Priority Mail.

As usual, no payment until you receive the reel and are satisfied.

Let me know.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sandbar

I'd love to own this one also Fred. If possible. You might be trying to spread these around and I totally understand. Beautiful reel.

smazzola

Looking forward to your Monday post. Steve
😄

foakes

Quote from: sandbar on August 16, 2022, 10:05:21 PMI'd love to own this one also Fred. If possible. You might be trying to spread these around and I totally understand. Beautiful reel.

I will get another one built for you tomorrow, Steve —-

Been down in town all day —- just got back.

1001 is sold to another good member.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

smazzola

😄

JasonGotaProblem

Fred how do the drags in these 1001s compare to those in the 1000s? I find that to be the one shortcoming of thes 1000. If they're different is an upgrade possible?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

foakes

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on August 17, 2022, 04:49:32 AMFred how do the drags in these 1001s compare to those in the 1000s? I find that to be the one shortcoming of thes 1000. If they're different is an upgrade possible?

Hi Jason —-

The 1000 & 1001 drags are identical.

There are 14 separate parts to a complete aluminum skirted spool assembly on these.

The one main drag washer can be upgraded to a CF lightly greased with Cal's —- or (2) thin CF's can be added, also lightly greased with Cal's.

The stock factory drags are more than adequate and effective, Jason —- providing the reel is not being asked to do more than it was engineered and designed for (ie: heavy braid, salt water, etc.)

The larger reels in the '01 & '02 series have extraordinarily large and effective drag systems designed for the size and target species of the reel.

While fun to soup up a tiny Microlite reel for above its design limits —- it is better, IMO, to fish the reel within its parameters —- with the idea that if a monster fish was hooked, the reel would still do its job in helping to land the trophy of a lifetime on Microlite gear.

That is why quality reel manufacturers make 4-7 different sized reels in each series, generally.

The engineers who designed these reels had lifetimes of experience influencing them —- as master machinist's, engineers, designers, and avid anglers who fished about once a week, who tested and developed new equipment continually.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

JasonGotaProblem

Oh man I'm debating how long a rant i wanna go on here. Please don't infer any combative tone here, we're talking about reels.

Of course I'm using it for larger targets than its intended for, that's the point of getting a quality reel! The measure of a reel is not how it responds to light use, but how it responds to heavy use. Those Chinese spinners on amazon that claim 78 bearings would probably last forever fished at 10# of drag, away from salt water. But that's not the metric. Anything that can be fished in salt water needs to be ready for the possibility of something bigger coming along, and a good reel stands a chance of still winning the fight. Maybe not win em all, but stand a chance.

Don't get me wrong, i really like the reel. It's a pleasure to fish with. I just want more from it. The 1000 feels like a Abrams tank with its main gun replaced by a 22 rifle. I see nothing about the structure of that reel that couldn't handle 10#+ of pull. Probably more. There's no way this thing is less structurally sound than a graphite bodied SS1300. I'd want the drag to be at least on par with a SS700.

One of these days I'll work up the courage to ask you about the price for a 5001 if one is available, but I may wanna wait til you forget that I disparaged the 1000's drag.

foakes

No offense ever taken, Jason —-

Everyone has their own ideas and motives about their equipment.

And I respect that.

For me, I choose the reel based on my intended quarry.

I don't hunt Grizzly's with a .22, and I don't hunt cottontails with a 12 gauge.

Just want a clean kill the first shot, and not wasting the hide or the meat.

I would rather have a reel that is matched for the conditions and the fish.

But a lot of guys enjoy seeing how far they can stress their gear.  Nothing wrong with that.  It is fun!

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Well put, Fred. The way I see it, if a guy's going to fish salt water he should fish a reel designed for saltwater. That would take into consideration the size of fish one may catch.

I've caught many a northern pike on a Cardinal 3 UL while fishing for walleye, and they are well up to the task, but I sure wouldn't target muskies with that Cardinal 3, it just boils down to common sense.  :o
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Paul Roberts

Hmmmm... I guess I'm not understanding the dilemma here. This little reel has a tiny spool. It was made for light lines. With modern braids one could "overline" it easily, as one could with any reel. I suppose one could try 100lb line on the 5000 size reel and achieve the same effect.

I also don't understand the "fish of a lifetime"/oversized fish concern. The main concerns would lie with other component beyond the reel. Will the rod and line be able to set the hook? And keep it in? Will the line hold up to a prolonged fight? The reel is the least concern in my mind. If one is expecting to exert 20lbs pressure using a 20lb braid, there are more appropriate reels. Not that this reel would... fall apart. It wouldn't. The failure would likely come elsewhere.

Then there's the fact that being too undergunned isn't all that much fun. Doesn't mean the reel will break, just that the fight will be prolonged, even get tedious, and possibly kill the fish -if it doesn't wear the knot or line through first.

JasonGotaProblem

There's really not much of a dilemma. I love the reel. But like everything I own I wanna tinker with it a bit, and drag is a place that could use some improvement.

And true to form Fred has already given me the answer, rearrange the washers to add another drag disk and get some thin carbon in place of stock. That's the plan. This reel spools and casts 10# braid surprisingly well, and I want about 6# of silky smooth drag for when that snook takes the shrimp, and as is I'm not getting that. No big deal I have a plan. I see nothing structurally about the thing that couldn't handle 15# of drag all day every day, so I also don't see what the dilemma is. Great reel for kayaking in salt water.

Paul Roberts

The 1202 is the next size up. I had one, bought new in the 80's, but eventually sold it as I found I never used it. It had a small spool for the reel's weight. And this was before PE braids appeared. The 1401 had the same body but, in my mind, a more appropriate spool size.

sandbar

Fred
Were you able to build one for me ?

foakes

I guess I was thinking you did not want one, Steve —-

But looking back over emails, I see that was in reference to the 1202 —- not a 1001 —- since you picked up a 1202.

Sorry, My mistake. 

I will put it together for you tonight and send it off tomorrow.

It is halfway completed already.

Stay tuned...

Best Always, Fred

--------

Fred O.