Maroon/Red colored Mitchell 600 Series

Started by Reeltyme, August 17, 2022, 12:08:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reeltyme

This has been puzzling me for quite sometime. I have collected the entire (and I believe by my research) and complete Mitchell 600 series of reels. Several of them I had to import from England as for some reason, the English loved them. In an advertisement found in many sporting magazines it showed the 600 series with a maroon or red colored side plate. EVERY 600 series I have ever seen has white side plates. Does anyone know of a maroon colored Mitchell 600?DD579940-59EE-42A6-9A5A-3F821E273C5F.png

foakes

Oftentimes, certain colored reels were only released in certain areas (Europe, Canada, Australia, etc.) and not the US.  Not sure in this case, though.

It would be interesting to see if they used a higher quality material on the red sideplates —- then they did on the white ones.  I think I have only seen 2 or 3 of these Garcia/Mitchell Conventionals that don't have the typical spider cracks around the center of the plates.  And I have likely handled around 50.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

Me tinks is a GOOF UP in the ad in 1964.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

JasonGotaProblem

Do these cracks present a structural concern or they're just ugly?

Trying to decide if my 622 should get spooled up or head to the shelf.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

foakes

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on August 17, 2022, 03:02:58 AMDo these cracks present a structural concern or they're just ugly?

Trying to decide if my 622 should get spooled up or head to the shelf.

They never seem to get much worse, and they work just fine.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shellbelly

Hard to show off a white reel on white paper, maybe?  If they were ever red, somebody would have shown us a real one by now. 

How long did they use the white material for their plates? 

"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

JasonGotaProblem

I'll paint mine if someone wants to pay an exorbitant rate for it. I'll even fill in the cracks first. One of a kind. Til you make one.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Reeltyme

I checked all of my reels (15 of them) and everyone of them has a crack to some degree. Some are very small while others are obvious.
Not leaning towards the "hard to photograph a white reel" theory. Got to believe there was more to it.

Wompus Cat

Colorizing Photo's was Common practice when that ad was made  . Today they have progs to do it for you .such as

oldmanjoe

Did they make a run for K Mart fishing reels , some body could have made red reel
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Wompus Cat

Quote from: oldmanjoe on August 18, 2022, 12:46:34 PMDid they make a run for K Mart fishing reels , some body could have made red reel

I think Olympic made a lot of K-Mart Reels.

Shellbelly

Quote from: Reeltyme on August 17, 2022, 06:19:28 PMNot leaning towards the "hard to photograph a white reel" theory.

OK.  I'm not a strong Garcia follower.  I have some.  But my guess was predicated on the printing tech available then and the type of paper.  To close that loop, somebody could post a "white reel" ad from the same time frame.  My guess is it would show up on glossy paper in a dark background.

I still hold that if there were red ones made by Garcia, the "I got one!" guy would be here by now cause we all want to see it.  I want to see it.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Reeltyme

I was really hoping someone would pop up as well with a "here's a photo of one". I started collecting them because no one else did and I was board. Of course, you MUST have the whole series!

Reeltyme

UKChris1

Interesting... I too have never seen a 600 series Mitchell in anything other than (cracked) white. Apart from the so-called unbreakable plastic spools (that broke all too easily - I had several), these reels seem to last for ever, even when mistreated. Clean them up and go put them to use, though the drag system was jerky when wet.