Ever seen this on a spool?

Started by elcarlstono, August 30, 2022, 07:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elcarlstono

Picked up a Penn 712Z at the flea market over the weekend.  Good running little reel.  Bail is sluggish on the return and could probably benefit from a new spring.
Anyway, what really caught my eyes was this numbering on the spool.
"14" painted on the top, once, and on the bottom is 14 three times; one painted, one labeled, and the other in tape.
What the heck?

Wompus Cat

Maybe somebody like Fred who has hundreds of Clients put the number on it so he could remember whose and which Reels it was .
Like the guy maybe had 20 Reels to service and Fred took em all apart at once to service them . This way each Reel would go back together with it's original spool...... ::) 
Has 14 pound Test line on it .
Or the Guy who owned it was 14 when he got it . :d
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

philaroman

it's the wrong answer to Life, the Universe and Everything

JasonGotaProblem

I feel like this is one of my less hair brained theories:

'Twas a test done by someone seeking a better way to identify their reels/spools. The test was to see which of the 4 ways to mark the dang thing was most likely to last
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

elcarlstono

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on August 30, 2022, 08:07:21 PMI feel like this is one of my less hair brained theories:

'Twas a test done by someone seeking a better way to identify their reels/spools. The test was to see which of the 4 ways to mark the dang thing was most likely to last
There's some merit to that!

Gfish

Looks almost like something I'd do to denote 14# test. I do that + date filled and sometimes line brand.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Squidder Bidder

Is there a number on the reel itself (not necessarily matching)? Maybe inside the housing? If the number was just in one form I would have guessed that the reel had been owned by charter operator who kept a log of reel maintenance. I can't imagine that being a reason to put the numbers on two more times.

elcarlstono

Quote from: Squidder Bidder on August 30, 2022, 08:41:09 PMIs there a number on the reel itself (not necessarily matching)? Maybe inside the housing? If the number was just in one form I would have guessed that the reel had been owned by charter operator who kept a log of reel maintenance. I can't imagine that being a reason to put the numbers on two more times.

Not that I have found.

Wompus Cat

Might be the Number of Fish that Got Away on that Reel

1badf350

Quote from: Gfish on August 30, 2022, 08:28:19 PMLooks almost like something I'd do to denote 14# test. I do that + date filled and sometimes line brand.
I'm going with this simple answer, but will be entertaining to read all the other hairbrained ideas you guys come up with
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Wompus Cat

oldmanjoe

If you ask me , it is very obvious .      But i too have to wait
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Dominick

Fourteen is the lowest even n for which the equation φ(x) = n has no solution, making it the first even nontotient, therefore putting the number on a spool makes perfect sense.  I'm surprised everyone doesn't know that.
Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shellbelly

OK.  I'll step in it.  It's spool #14.  It was hung on the wall or kept in a parts box with other #'s.  Maybe it lived and worked in a repair shop. 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

elcarlstono

Minimum size for flounder/trout?