Light spool for Penn 99

Started by fishmeluck, August 31, 2022, 05:06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishmeluck

Hi Randy,

I have the Tiburon spool already which I use for dropper loop fishing. I'd like to try a lighter spool for fly-lining live bait such as the Newell aluminum spool or even a graphite spool if they exist for the '99 . Not plastic though. Ideas?
Give a man a fish and he will have fish for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Swami805

Newell didn't make graphite spools for penns except a few for 500 size. A Newell aluminum spool isn't going to be much lighter than Tiburon, maybe a couple grams?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Swami805

85.5 grams for a 99 Newell spool. I don't have a Tiburon spool

Vintage Offshore Tackle

I don't have a Tiburon spool to weigh, but I would guess that the Newell spool is 10% lighter.

Maxed Out

What is "fly-lining" live bait ?? Are you putting live bait on and casting it like a fly ?

Penn did make a lightweight steel spool for the 99, but those can be hard to find
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

fishmeluck

Give a man a fish and he will have fish for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Wompus Cat

Here is another article on

FLY LINING
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

fishmeluck

Quote from: Swami805 on September 01, 2022, 03:16:26 AMNewell didn't make graphite spools for penns except a few for 500 size. A Newell aluminum spool isn't going to be much lighter than Tiburon, maybe a couple grams?

Quote from: Swami805 on September 01, 2022, 03:23:17 AM85.5 grams for a 99 Newell spool. I don't have a Tiburon spool

I have one of the Newell graphite spools for 500 size. It's so much lighter than any of the aluminum spools. That's too bad they didn't make any for 99 and 501 size reels.

I have a 99 size Tiburon spool but not a Newell spool, and the Tiburon spool is filled with line. Flipping the Tiburon spool by hand, it felt heavy with more inertia than expected. That's what got me thinking there might be a lighter option.

Maybe, I'll just give it a chance at flylining a sardine and see how it goes.

Swami805

I have a graphite 500 spool too, incredibly light, be great in a 99 or 501 size. I guess the made a batch of the 500 ones by mistake, pretty hard to find

CooldadE

Quote from: Maxed Out on September 01, 2022, 03:02:09 PMWhat is "fly-lining" live bait ?? Are you putting live bait on and casting it like a fly ?

Penn did make a lightweight steel spool for the 99, but those can be hard to find
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w44/Shocktrama/Edsreel003.jpg
Here's one of two steel NOS 99 spools I picked up on a build I did years ago...

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

fishmeluck

fishmeluck

Quote from: Swami805 on September 05, 2022, 07:00:55 PMI have a graphite 500 spool too, incredibly light, be great in a 99 or 501 size. I guess the made a batch of the 500 ones by mistake, pretty hard to find

I had a Jigmaster 500 with a very nice red Tiburon frame that I hung onto for a long time, planning to put the graphite spool in it and was undecided about buying matching Cortez Conversions sideplates. I waited too long, Cortez sold out of sideplates, so I sold the Jigmaster last week. Now just the graphite spool remains  :(