506HS project questions

Started by JasonGotaProblem, September 14, 2022, 02:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Don't tell me that. I'm better off thinking that sucks and I need to try much harder.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

steelfish

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on September 27, 2022, 09:48:35 PMDon't tell me that. I'm better off thinking that sucks and I need to try much harder.

back in the days when guys wanted more distance outta their penn reels from the beach they left the jigmaster 505 on the trunk and used the mighty Squider

I also think that 70yds outta a normal reel with no mods and a heavy alum spool is pretty good.
The Baja Guy

oldmanjoe

70 yards , 3 oz and ten foot stick .  You should be able to break windows two city blocks away and retrieve your sinker ..    go ahead and ask me how i know ..
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

I went ahead and ordered Bryans drag kit. This oughta get interesting. I hope I actually get to catch something with this before baby is born in 12 weeks and fishing becomes a fond memory for a little while.

JasonGotaProblem

At what point (and by that i mean what drag setting) does the stock handle become inadequate?

Maxed Out

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on October 10, 2022, 01:28:03 PMAt what point (and by that i mean what drag setting) does the stock handle become inadequate?

After the 2nd fish
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

steelfish

Quote from: Maxed Out on October 10, 2022, 03:12:40 PM
Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on October 10, 2022, 01:28:03 PMAt what point (and by that i mean what drag setting) does the stock handle become inadequate?

After the 2nd fish

haha, I was going to say after the 1st fishing trip but you're right
The Baja Guy

jurelometer

Shorter arm length, small knob and counterbalanced are best for speed winding, or less effort in in general when winding under lighter loads, like  working lures.

Handle arm length is the main thing.  Try spinning your hand in a circle like you were winding an imaginary reel as fast as possible.  The smaller the radius, the faster you can wind. A shorter handle arm also makes it harder to lever the gear post out of alignment when you are winding hard.

A smaller knob makes it easier to grip lightly with your fingertips, keeping the wrist loose.  Try the previous imaginary reel winding exercise with the fingers holding a large or and small diameter knob, and then try tightening the grip to turn one of those big knobs.  Much more effort/fatigue for winding fast with a big knob, even more so with those long multi finger cylindrical handles.

A long arm gives you leverage, just like a low gear ratio gives you leverage.  A larger knob or handle that allows you to grip with the full length of multiple fingers also helps for winding under load.

If I am using a high speed Jigmaster, It will be for working lures, so my favorite handle was the later model stock counterbalanced handle arms that comes with with the thin rubberized flat knob. Still plenty of cranking force for a reel of this strength.

If I was trolling or drop jigging, I could see the value in a long arm and big knob, but would probably be more inclined to use a different reel for that.

Bigger round knobs make a nice compromise.

Probably not the popular opinion here on aftermarket arms and knobs, but it makes sense to me, and has served me well.

-J

steelfish

Quote from: jurelometer on October 10, 2022, 05:55:51 PMProbably not the popular opinion here on aftermarket arms and knobs, but it makes sense to me, and has served me well.
-J

90% of fishermen fish with reels as they come from the factory and swear by them as the best thing in the world.

but I think its not all about puting big and large handles with Big knobs on every reel, it about whats more comfortable for you, with the hundreds for options of knobs you easily can find one that fits comfortable in your hands, whats big for some guys is small for others, also no need to spend a fortune to find a more comfortable handle-knob.

I was using the stock handle of the Penn 320gt for many time until asked the same question Jason is asking, our Boss Alan pointed me out for the 24-56 Jigmaster powerhandle, hole for the Jigmaster sleeve but 3 holes position and knob size is the same than 4/0 reels.
I swap the handles and it was day and night while fishing.
that stock square rubber knob feels weird after some time and doesnt help at all on a nice fish on the other hand, the 24-56 power handle gives just bit more power if you installed on the hole with 1/2" more than stock and the just bit bigger knob with round edges helps for a better and agronomical grip AND also you can go fancy with a custom aluminum power handle and a nice medium size acrylic knob

The Baja Guy

thorhammer

Alex, check yours isnt a 24-57. The 320 has a different sleeve than the 310, which WOULD accept a 24-56 (jig master sleeve type).

Jason, a 24-49 with flat paddle grip is also a nice upgrade- longer throw than your 24-66, but still counter balanced for speed retrieve if you're kingfishing (which is about a perfect application of a 505HS). I'm not a fan of any of any little torpedo knob. Get slippery and not ergonomic for me.

jurelometer

Quote from: thorhammer on October 13, 2022, 08:33:05 PMJason, a 24-49 with flat paddle grip is also a nice upgrade- longer throw than your 24-66, but still counter balanced for speed retrieve if you're kingfishing (which is about a perfect application of a 505HS). I'm not a fan of any of any little torpedo knob. Get slippery and not ergonomic for me.

Ooh...Didn't know about that one.

That would be a nice compromise. My favorite jigmaster handle/arm setup, but just a bit longer on the arm. 
The nice thing about the flat paddle is that it really encourages the proper grip for working lures.  Too many folk try to wrap their fingers around those torpedo knobs, which means that you have to do a lot of rotation with the elbow instead of just the wrist.

That jumbo that Alex likes is a good knob/arm style if you are more concerned with the ergonomics of winding against load than working lures- so a good style for his 320.  But for speed winding, it would be near the bottom of my list.  While there is personal preference and paw size to consider, the ergonomics are the same for all of us, barring some sort of injury.

-J

steelfish

Quote from: jurelometer on October 13, 2022, 10:32:30 PMThat jumbo that Alex likes is a good knob/arm style if you are more concerned with the ergonomics of winding against load than working lures- so a good style for his 320.  But for speed winding, it would be near the bottom of my list. 
-J

I have never thought on the 320gti as a reel to work on lures so, the power handle works great for bottom fishing and light trolling and yes, you're right, to work lures and make 1000 casts is much better a short handle with counter balance.

that said, some lowprofile reels made for saltwater fishing come with a paddle handle with larger arm that gives you the best of both worlds, extra power/torque and retrieving speed

like the Daiwa coastal air Vs Abu Garcia Revo

so, in your case there are good handle options for speed on your 506hs reel
The Baja Guy

thorhammer

Compadre, please check that handle number to fact check me, so people don't order a wrong part on my bad direction.

steelfish

Well, since the beginning I noticed we were talking about the same power handle 24-56, if you read again my comment, I never mentioned the 24-57 part (I dont know where you read it  :o  :P ), everything is ok John if someone want to order a power handle for the jigmaster sleeve but larger in length and bigger knob they are pointed out to the right direction, the 24-56 handle type

Quote from: steelfish on October 10, 2022, 08:00:51 PMI was using the stock handle of the Penn 320gt for many time until asked the same question Jason is asking, our Boss Alan pointed me out for the 24-56 Jigmaster powerhandle, hole for the Jigmaster sleeve but 3 holes position and knob size is the same than 4/0 reels.
..........., the 24-56 power handle gives just bit more power if ...........b

Quote from: thorhammer on October 13, 2022, 08:33:05 PMAlex, check yours isnt a 24-57. The 320 has a different sleeve than the 310, which WOULD accept a 24-56 (jig master sleeve type).

The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

Finally got to do a drag test with Bryans kit installed. It is silky smooth at 15# which is what I really wanted. And cranked all the way down as far as i could without pliers it definitely crossed the 25# mark and was still smooth. Though I'll never fish it that high, even with my steel sleeve and gears.

Though I'm not sure about the other advertising claims though: I don't have 6pack abs yet and no beautiful women have thrown themselves at me. Oh well.