Tackle hoarders, what have you picked up lately???

Started by pjstevko, September 14, 2022, 07:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wompus Cat

Here is one of the Lefties  I built with the plates I got along side a Right Hand 49 . The Foot is kinda beat up BUT has the Rod Clamp on it .
The one on the Left is a True LH 49 with all new guts ,Aliuminum Spool ,Carbon Tex Drags , Maxed Out Handle Combo.

Dueling 49's

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Keta on September 23, 2022, 01:32:45 PMI have a factory LH 349H and one I converted.

A 349H marked LH on the plate would be a Rare one indeed .

Keta

Side plates are standard 349/349H  The AR dog is totally different and stamped 15-349LH.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Wompus Cat

You can pretty much make a lefty out of a lot of reels just by filing the Ratchet gear or replacing the Bridge with a Left hand one if available .
A TRUE Penn LH 49 from Factory has left hand threaded Star ,Gears,and Dog and the Cams and Springs  are Different as well PLUS The Side Plate is Marked LH was my original point .
Never saw a 349 marked LH . I have Penn 112,113H,and several Ocean city Reels I converted to Left Hand but none are Marked on Plate from Factory .
The Marked LH reels were a Short Run I was told and discontinued in the 1940's .
They still made Left Hand Reels but just were not Marked on Plate .

Keta

Like the 349 and 349H they did not make different sideplates for the 349 variations.  Some 349H have 2 levers some have one lever.  The only difference is the hole for the second lever is not there.  I built a low speed single lever 349 but I do not think penn made them.  All of the single lever 349H reels I have seen are also maroon.

Mark Twain

Shellbelly

Quote from: Wompus Cat on September 23, 2022, 01:27:17 PMThe Foot is kinda beat up

Do you want a clean stand?  I can look in the pile if you want to replace the beat-up one.  I was buying cheap mariners if they had clean handles...for my sailfishers.

I'm glad to see those plates where they belong!  There's a vented spool out there, too.  I think I hear it calling you.

Quote from: Keta on September 23, 2022, 03:01:35 PMAll of the single lever 349H reels I have seen are also maroon.

I don't have any 349's yet, but I look at them often.  I want to say that I've seen the H and HC's in black. 
I'm curious if the inside of the H plate has the structure to convert it to HC by drilling the hole for the eccentric and simply adding the parts.  The outside looks like it's molded for the hole that would be required.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Wompus Cat

QuoteDo you want a clean stand?  I can look in the pile if you want to replace the beat-up one.  I was buying cheap mariners if they had clean handles...for my sailfishers.

Well if you have a nice one with the holes in it for a Rod holder let me know .
I have lots of the open ones . Vented Spool sound good too .
P/m me a price and will let you know .
I am building a Sailfisher from parts . Got all the guts and side plates ,need bars ,and stand  prob can scrounge up a handle .

Shellbelly

PM me your address and I'll get out it to you.  You can buy me a grape NEHI sometime.

That vented spool and box is on the bay.  Been there a while cause it's a little steep. 

I'm in the same boat as you for shiny sailfisher parts.  I have a 1st year and a later 130 build waiting on chrome. 

Clean LB 60's are the only resource I've had for 37-60 posts on my 130's.  Nobody is selling those posts in good condition.  285 posts have the same part# but are thinner, go figure,...and believe me, it shows when you use them on a 130.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Wompus Cat

QuotePM me your address and I'll get out it to you.  You can buy me a grape NEHI sometime.

Nehi always reminds me of Jerry Clower and his ramblin of Marcell who stopped in a Beer Joint and asked fer a Sodie Water............

MarkT

Grape Nehi reminds me of Radar on Mash and bbq at my grandma's 55+ year ago!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

pjstevko

The "used" Mak 10ii SEa arrived in the mail today and it's PERFECT!

Hopefully Alan doesn't find anything wrong on the inside when I send it to him. (He shouldn't considering I was told it never landed a fish)

Lalo13

For some reason , I cannot drive by a tackle shop and not buy something !!! Is it a sickness ?? :d

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Lalo13 on September 24, 2022, 07:04:05 AMFor some reason , I cannot drive by a tackle shop and not buy something !!! Is it a sickness ?? :d

It is more of a Condition called
Tacklecollectivitis Sydrome

Fortunately There is No Known Cure . :o

Keta

Quote from: Shellbelly on September 23, 2022, 03:49:30 PM.... I
I'm curious if the inside of the H plate has the structure to convert it to HC by drilling the hole for the eccentric and simply adding the parts.  The outside looks like it's molded for the hole that would be required.

Yes you can but I would not modify a single lever 349 sideplate.  I have two lever sideplates I would trade for single lever one if you need one. 

I have all of the parts (new) in my project box to build a "new" 349/349H, including the proper
rings, gear sets (349 and 349H) and a NIB bronze spool.  Fortunatly my 349 parts were not in the building that burnt last month.

I have 5-6 ea. 349 and 349H gearsets with yokes, the 349 sets have 5 metal washer drags,  for sale.

Mark Twain