sorry to bring back but has anyone found a real substitute for the abu c-clip??

Started by pointbob, October 07, 2022, 08:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pointbob

The price on the abu c-clips is over $3 in some places and shipping.

sorry to bring back an old thread but has anyone found a real substitute for the abu c-clip? will these 3mm ones fit? great price like $9 for 100.

"GRAINGER APPROVED DE-2.3ST PA E Retain Ring,Ext,Dia 3mm,PK100"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314032925516
Patience comes to those who wait

thorhammer

please pursue this. You can get an LED desk lamp at Dollar Store for a buck but that teeneiney piece of metal is three bucks...it's bs.

steelfish

well, same deal with the C-Clips for Accurate boss reels, not other C-clip fits as perfect as the factory ones  >:(  >:(

I know there are places on reel repair and rod building where we can save some pennies or dollars when using other parts or tools than the ones "made and sold" specifically for the job but there are cases where I prefer to spend the $3 dlls plus $7 of shipping to be sure a $150 dlls or $400 dllr reel will work as it should.
The Baja Guy

jurelometer

Wouldn't you  want stainless for that clip?  Key dimensions are going to be slot ID and width on the shaft that the clip goes on.

If you have a digital caliper, it shouldn't be too hard to get the shaft slot ID and width.  Going to a decent supplier that lists all the part dimensions and/or mating part dimensions  like McMaster Carr, you should be able  find the exact size clip in one try. 

As a side note, McMaster used to not calculate shipping charges in advance.  You got charged for the order and then shipping  was calculated and tacked on as an additional charge after the box went out.  But now it is calculated in advance as part of the ordering process- no more shipping charge surprises!

Grainger is not bad either, and if you are lucky there might be a branch near you where you can pick up stuff without having to pay shipping. Going directly  to the Grainger website is probably easier for hunting around for parts than the auction site.

-J

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

pointbob

thanks for the replies fellas; I can't believe this is such a hard one. I don't have a digital caliper/micrometer to measure the OEM C-clips....  this maybe a longer journey damn

can anyone find out the actual size?

this ebay seller admits he's using a slight diff substitute for the c-clip but claims it works...check out his pics

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124026002029

below is a pic of the OEM clip

jurelometer

Looks like a heavy duty e-clip.  Designed to take more thrust load, but a bit more force to get on and off.  But if the ID, OD, and thickness are the same, it should work just as well as a standard e-clip.  Doubt that you will need 130 lbs of thrust capacity in an ABU :)

McMaster only has the heavy duty option in a 3MM ID, so maybe why the heavy duty is offered the eBay seller. 

Here is the McMaster part:

https://www.mcmaster.com/e-clips/system-of-measurement~metric/for-groove-diameter~3mm/

Note that McMaster also offers a 3.2 MM ID and .6 and .7 mm widths.  Buy the wrong one, and it may not fit. But if the clip is wthin spec, and you order the right one, it can't not fit.  Cheap digital calipers cost around 10 bucks last time I bought a pair, and are ridiculously accurate for the money.  I use them all the time to measure anything small.

Ebay seller does not look like a bad deal if the clip fits.  About double the price of McMaster, but you don't have to buy calipers.

Hope this helps.

-J

Robert Janssen

The OD needs to be 7.25 mm or less in order to clear the thread of the handle nut. Beyond that, anything works.

pointbob

Quote from: jurelometer on October 09, 2022, 02:51:36 AMLooks like a heavy duty e-clip.  Designed to take more thrust load, but a bit more force to get on and off.  But if the ID, OD, and thickness are the same, it should work just as well as a standard e-clip.  Doubt that you will need 130 lbs of thrust capacity in an ABU :)

McMaster only has the heavy duty option in a 3MM ID, so maybe why the heavy duty is offered the eBay seller. 

https://www.mcmaster.com/e-clips/system-of-measurement~metric/for-groove-diameter~3mm/

Note that McMaster also offers a 3.2 MM ID and .6 and .7 mm widths.  Buy the wrong one, and it may not fit. But if the clip is wthin spec, and you order the right one, it can't not fit.  Cheap digital calipers cost around 10 bucks last time I bought a pair, and are ridiculously accurate for the money.  I use them all the time to measure anything small.

Ebay seller does not look like a bad deal if the clip fits.  About double the price of McMaster, but you don't have to buy calipers.

Hope this helps.

-J

thank you J. I checked the mcmaster link but confused....the outer ring diameter is 8.5mm..that's gonna be way to big no since the abu clip is 6mm od?

Quote from: jurelometer on October 09, 2022, 02:51:36 AMLooks like a heavy duty e-clip.  Designed to take more thrust load, but a bit more force to get on and off.  But if the ID, OD, and thickness are the same, it should work just as well as a standard e-clip.  Doubt that you will need 130 lbs of thrust capacity in an ABU :)

here's another list... i'm confused. There is on column that says For OD mm "3-4" for example and them OD,mm RING 5.9mm....is that what I want?  https://www.mcmaster.com/e-clips/side-mount-external-retaining-rings-6/

Hope this helps.

-J

thank you J. I checked the mcmaster link but confused....the outer ring diameter is 8.5mm..that's gonna be way to big no since the abu clip is 6mm od?

also on this list ,,,should i be looking at the "for OD mm" column or the "Ring od,mm" lol?
https://www.mcmaster.com/e-clips/side-mount-external-retaining-rings-6/

jurelometer

There is both shaft OD and ring OD options on the selector /filter tab.  If you click on the product number for a part and the click on detail in the pop-up,  you should see a detailed drawing with all of the dimensions for a given clip. 

It is pretty hard to know what part to order if you don't have the tools to make the measurement.    The OEM clip in your photo looks to be about 7mm or a bit more for the OD of the ring(clip).

Robert has given you some advice, and he knows his stuff when it comes to ABUs.

Hope this helps.

Wompus Cat

I have all kinds of Clips for my Shop but many times end up just grabbing one from

HARBOR FREIGHT ASSORTMENT under 7 bux for 300 lil BUGGERS .

In a pinch I use a piece of stainless steel wire that fits the Groove twist it off and cut it . Holds like the clip would just a little harder to remove .
Necessity is the MaMa of Invention
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

DougK

Quote from: Wompus Cat on October 10, 2022, 03:25:15 AMHARBOR FREIGHT ASSORTMENT under 7 bux for 300 lil BUGGERS .

In a pinch I use a piece of stainless steel wire that fits the Groove twist it off and cut it . Holds like the clip would just a little harder to remove .

brilliant.. every time I touch an old Abu or DAM Quick, get nervous about those little buggers..

thought I'd lost an Abu clip last night while working in a hurry (always a bad idea), found it after 20min searching. It would have been quicker not to be in a hurry..

steelfish

Quote from: DougK on October 13, 2022, 09:41:12 PM
Quote from: Wompus Cat on October 10, 2022, 03:25:15 AMHARBOR FREIGHT ASSORTMENT under 7 bux for 300 lil BUGGERS .

brilliant.. every time I touch an old Abu or DAM Quick, get nervous about those little buggers..

thought I'd lost an Abu clip last night while working in a hurry (always a bad idea), found it after 20min searching. It would have been quicker not to be in a hurry..

I dont have much friends reels to repair or service but when I do and see the reel has some of those c-clips like abu reels and accurate between others, I grab a big transparent plastic bag and cover the reel and my hands just in case on of those C-clips want to fly away to the same place where half of my sox are hidden, I read that "method" from someone here and opted to use it after losing an accurate C-clip and never found it, I also couldnt get it from accurate directly until the Boss Alan Tani came to the recue.
The Baja Guy

Midway Tommy

One can always make minor adjustments to either the ID or the OD with a mini file. Done that many times.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

JasonGotaProblem

So hypothetically what happens if you use a c clip.of the wrong size? For example too small an outer diameter?

Asking for a friend
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.