Daiwa BG5000 - Bail not closing

Started by CEShawn, October 23, 2022, 12:28:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CEShawn

Been away from the board for a long time, but this has helped me rescue reels before.  Tried searching the internet and board didnt find what I was looking for.  I can't fully understand the schematic in this area.
Recently bought a BG4000 and loved it, fished it all summer.  Decided to pick up a BG6500, was playing with it in the store and said it was to big, so bought a BG5000, I screwed up didnt bench test it as I was at checkout when changing my mind.  Well that was in another state and now I am home and the bail doesnt even try to remotely close, playing around a little bit but can't get it working.  Then I noticed, I look at the BG4000 and on the bottom, I see what trips the bail, but I dont see what trips the bail on the BG5000, looks like a different mechanism, anyone have a picture and/or tips for what does it on the larger series, I assume this would be 4500-8000 from looking at the PDF. Thanks.

JasonGotaProblem

I know above a certain size they no longer auto close by cranking. The mechanism is different I believe.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

CEShawn

Great link on the hull truth... the part that confuses me, as I have heard of this, why have everything there to close it, such as the PIN, man that pin just looks like its waiting to hit something! Thanks though...
But I think I need to concede that you right...
 :d

Porthos

Quote from: CEShawn on October 23, 2022, 03:18:35 PM...why have everything there to close it, such as the PIN, man that pin just looks like its waiting to hit something!...

The economics of manufacturing. If a part had to be made for one model but another can utilize the same part minus some functionality/functionalities, then do so if cheaper than completely retooling for a slightly different design.

Gfish

Hmmm.
One thing about manual close-only bails, less wear on various parts. Think about the stress and impact of the parts from the handle all the way up through to the bail system. I was surf casting Sunday with a mostly plastic Shimano Ultegra 14000 XTD. Something wasn't quite right as I hadda use too much cranking force to trip the bail over. Thankfully, it works both manually and automatically and I shifted over to manual. I'm sure this mostly plastic reel wouldn't hold-up too long with auto-bail trip only.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JasonGotaProblem

It's like slamming the door on a car or dry firing a centerfire pistol. One would be hard pressed to point to the specific damage being caused, but it's stress on moving parts that can be avoided.

I tend to disable the auto-close when it's an option. If I want my bail flipped I'll reach over and flip it.

Midway Tommy

I never use the manual close option, even if the reel I'm using has it, because I fish with both types and don't want to get into habit of trying to manually flip the bail over. I refuse to use a reel with an external bail trip and have yet to wear out a trip stud on an internal trip type reel.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

philaroman

Quote from: Porthos on October 24, 2022, 12:37:15 AM
Quote from: CEShawn on October 23, 2022, 03:18:35 PM...why have everything there to close it, such as the PIN, man that pin just looks like its waiting to hit something!...

The economics of manufacturing. If a part had to be made for one model but another can utilize the same part minus some functionality/functionalities, then do so if cheaper than completely retooling for a slightly different design.

ditto...  superfluous auto-bail features/parts might remain in rotor for balance
cheaper than modifying opposite side of rotor/counterbalance/bail

actually, something to consider for disabling internal bail trips:
if you get rid of parts from the rotor on the bail-arm side,
you may need to shave some weight off the counterbalance
and distance from center matters, I think, so it's not 1:1  ::)
not lookin' for formula...  labeling "too sciency"...  punting  :P

JasonGotaProblem

So you don't feel like calculating and summing the centroids of various connected objects?

Why fish at all if not for the excuses to do calculus? :d

handi2

I always close the bail by hand. Always...
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

philaroman

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on October 24, 2022, 06:55:17 PMSo you don't feel like calculating and summing the centroids of various connected objects?

Why fish at all if not for the excuses to do calculus? :d

is it calc or trig?  doesn't matter -- before I could bring myself to revisit either, 
I'd be looking up that nice AT thread, on balancing the rotor MANUALLY on a cone

drumbum

Bails that can't be manually closed can be frustrating,...e.g.  Mitchell 300 and ABU cardinals.....