A ground up 2500C IAR build

Started by tincanary, November 05, 2022, 11:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tincanary

Here we go, a near brand new 2500C IAR.  Why do I say near?  All but two parts were used as they are no longer available, but the rest can be found either new old stock or in the aftermarket.  I sold off a bunch of unused reels to fund the build and had a great time turning screws and creating this braid raced low profile (yes, low profile) Ambassadeur.  Follow below for a build sheet and pictures.

Parts used:
New old stock 2500C IAR (instant anti reverse) side plates
New old stock 2500CI brake plate
Avail offset frame (reel foot is 7mm lower than factory)
Avail palming plate
Avail 6.1:1 gear set
Avail aluminum driveshaft
Avail aluminum click wheel with integrated bearing sleeve
Avail ultralight line guide
Hedgehog Air spool bearings
B-Trap 2 bearing level wind
B-Trap 2 bearing idler gear
Avail 2520R spool
Avail star wheel and spool tension cap
Simon Shimomura pinion bushing and clutch return spring
Haneda Craft duralumin handle

Here it is on the scale compared to a factory stock 2500C from 1975.

This is how it sits on a reel seat compared to a standard frame 2500C.

So how does it fish?  So far so good.  It actually palms better than some of my more contemporary low profile reels.  I know ABU will never make these again due to potential sales versus the Revo, but a man can dream, right?

JasonGotaProblem

That's an interesting reel seat.

How does the size of the 2500 compare the the 1500 you found before?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

tincanary

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on November 05, 2022, 02:16:17 PMThat's an interesting reel seat.

How does the size of the 2500 compare the the 1500 you found before?

The 1600C IAR is almost the same size as the 2500C.  The thumb bar models are about 4mm wider than their push button counterparts due to the way the brake plate is designed.  The brake plate in the 1600C IAR would evolve into what would become the Morrum SX in the early 2000s, while the 1500C/2500C both ratchet and IAR models use the same brake plate they have since 1975. 

pointbob

That's a pretty skookum white handle! Where'd you acquire that. :d
Patience comes to those who wait

philaroman

cool round lo-pro  ;D  
what few specs I can find on Avail spools, seem to all be 50yd/4#
is that standard ballpark, or is there more of a depth range? 

Donnyboat

I would emadgen 50 yds is for mono, get a reel fine 16 strand braid, you would possibly get 80 yds on it, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Swami805

That's a beautiful reel.  Reduced the weight by almost 1/3, impressive
Do what you can with that you have where you are

tincanary

Quote from: philaroman on November 05, 2022, 10:30:26 PMcool round lo-pro  ;D 
what few specs I can find on Avail spools, seem to all be 50yd/4#
is that standard ballpark, or is there more of a depth range?

This spool is 2mm deep. While it doesn't hold much mono, it does hold a good amount of thin braid.  Even though it will hold 120yd of 6lb braid, I still run 50 to 60yd.  I like to fish in the creeks and smaller rivers where short pitches are the norm.  Since fishing these shallow spooled reels, I've learned to choose line by diameter and not by lb test.  US market lines have very arbitrary ratings, while in Asia, there are standards agreed upon by the manufacturers in relation to diameter and breaking point.  They go by the denier rating, which is far more accurate.  On this one, I will run 0.148mm braided line, which breaks right around 17lb or so.  In domestic lines, it's about the equivalent to 6lb Power Pro in diameter. Depending on the fish I'm chasing, I will run a length of 4, 6, or 8lb Ultragreen leader.  I won't be running more than 2lb of drag, so it'll be right at home throwing plugs for Great Lakes steelhead.  The ones here in the Western Erie and Huron tribs don't get as big as those from Lake Michigan, so it'll be plenty.

Here's my other 2500C on my Smith Troutin' Spin Bait Classic.  It's a 6'5" ML rated 3g to 12g and perfect for the rivers I fish.  This rod is designed for the thinner braid, up to #1.0 (0.165mm/20lb) and a complete hoot for a hot steelhead or big brown.  https://www.smith.jp/product/trout/baitclassic/baitclassic.html

Gfish

Wow great-on the water-Fall picture.
Cooooool, a tuff lookin 6oz. reel. What about an aluminum crank shaft? Any worries about tweaking it? Perhaps not with the drag set at 2-lbs.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

tincanary

Quote from: Gfish on November 06, 2022, 03:39:32 PMWow great-on the water-Fall picture.
Cooooool, a tuff lookin 6oz. reel. What about an aluminum crank shaft? Any worries about tweaking it? Perhaps not with the drag set at 2-lbs.
The shaft is made from duralumin, also known as aircraft aluminum.  It isn't pure, but 90% aluminum, 4% copper, and traces of manganese, iron, and silicon.  It isn't as corrosion resistant as plain aluminum, so not saltwater safe, but has a higher tensile strength of 450MPa vs the 90MPa of pure aluminum.  It's a much harder material.  The main gear and click wheel are made from the same material.

philaroman

thanks, just what I was wondering -- ballpark capacity w/ 5-8# braid 

even w/ my budgety approach, I have gravitated towards tippet for UL/L/ML leaders & short top-shot
mostly pre-stretched nylon (pref., Japanese)...  whatever brand I can find most economically
if you get 100m/110yd Guide Spools (only "bulk" option), price is not so ob$$$cene

not that Maxima isn't a fine product (I was a big fan of UG & Chameleon, way back when),
but you start out so high-end w/ rod/reel...  why go mid-price at the "business end"?

tincanary

Quote from: philaroman on November 06, 2022, 08:49:43 PMthanks, just what I was wondering -- ballpark capacity w/ 5-8# braid

even w/ my budgety approach, I have gravitated towards tippet for UL/L/ML leaders & short top-shot
mostly pre-stretched nylon (pref., Japanese)...  whatever brand I can find most economically
if you get 100m/110yd Guide Spools (only "bulk" option), price is not so ob$$$cene

not that Maxima isn't a fine product (I was a big fan of UG & Chameleon, way back when),
but you start out so high-end w/ rod/reel...  why go mid-price at the "business end"?

I have a lot of Ultragreen leader material on hand.  A couple of years back, my local Cabela's had the leader spools in their bargain bin for 99 cents each, so I ended up purchasing a very healthy supply.  It was marked down from $4.99, couldn't say no to that.  I also use Varivas Super Trout Advance fluorocarbon which is an excellent Japanese leader line.  That stuff I like to use when the water is gin clear, otherwise I stick with the Ultragreen, especially when fishing woody creeks.  It's tough stuff.

xjchad

Wow, what a sweet little reel, nice build!
I may have to start looking at those Ambassadeur's more.
They would be a blast on everything I fish for up here in ID!
Husband, Father, Fisherman