A ground up 2500C IAR build

Started by tincanary, November 05, 2022, 11:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tincanary

Quote from: xjchad on November 07, 2022, 04:17:49 PMWow, what a sweet little reel, nice build Jason!
I may have to start looking at those Ambassadeur's more.
They would be a blast on everything I fish for up here in ID!

Thanks, but I'm not Jason lol

xjchad

Quote from: tincanary on November 07, 2022, 04:57:33 PM
Quote from: xjchad on November 07, 2022, 04:17:49 PMWow, what a sweet little reel, nice build Jason!
I may have to start looking at those Ambassadeur's more.
They would be a blast on everything I fish for up here in ID!

Thanks, but I'm not Jason lol

Ugh! I'm sorry!  I saw the post above mine and was reading too fast  :(
I should have known, I love what YOU do with those Abu's!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Rivverrat

6.6 oz !! You kidding me ?  No, I know your not.  That weight & level of performance is still good by todays
 standards ... Jeff

thorhammer

Bob, fine, fine work. You've me thinkin'; no trout here, but these would be a blast on perch and crappie.  I picked up two EC pistol grip rods the other day, about right to throw a rooster tail or panther. Now into the box of 1500 and 2500's I am sitting on :)

sabaman1

Very nice looking build. Thanks for sharing!
JIM

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: thorhammer on November 09, 2022, 12:06:51 AM. Now into the box of 1500 and 2500's I am sitting on :)
Surely there's more comfortable seats available.

In fact I'd trade you a chair for one any day
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

tincanary

Quote from: thorhammer on November 09, 2022, 12:06:51 AMBob, fine, fine work. You've me thinkin'; no trout here, but these would be a blast on perch and crappie.  I picked up two EC pistol grip rods the other day, about right to throw a rooster tail or panther. Now into the box of 1500 and 2500's I am sitting on :)

They're a hoot for anything steelhead and smaller.  I had a ball fishing white bass on my 1600C earlier in the year.

mark Hill

Beautiful reel. One of my next purchases is going to be an ultra-lite baitcaster or a conversion kit. I'm starting to feel my age when I'm horsing bass with the heavy-duty braid and power sticks.  :( 
"Sell a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man how to fish, and he will start collecting and refurbishing old reels"

thorhammer

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on November 09, 2022, 02:49:14 AM
Quote from: thorhammer on November 09, 2022, 12:06:51 AM. Now into the box of 1500 and 2500's I am sitting on :)
Surely there's more comfortable seats available.

In fact I'd trade you a chair for one any day

now that's a good'un!

thorhammer

Bob, can you tell me what size bearings would be in the 1500/2500C (NOT AR)?

tincanary

Quote from: thorhammer on November 10, 2022, 02:32:52 PMBob, can you tell me what size bearings would be in the 1500/2500C (NOT AR)?
5x11x4.  I really like the Hedgehog Air bearings.  The first upgrades I'd do are the spool, spool bearings, and a lighter weight line guide.  Those will get it casting down to 1/8.  The factory centrifugal brake does really well, even better than the mag brakes on the new stuff.

thorhammer

Quote from: tincanary on November 10, 2022, 03:05:54 PM
Quote from: thorhammer on November 10, 2022, 02:32:52 PMBob, can you tell me what size bearings would be in the 1500/2500C (NOT AR)?
5x11x4.  I really like the Hedgehog Air bearings.  The first upgrades I'd do are the spool, spool bearings, and a lighter weight line guide.  Those will get it casting down to 1/8.  The factory centrifugal brake does really well, even better than the mag brakes on the new stuff.

Noted brother, thanks! We've got some decent size perch, I had two citations just under two pounds, back in the day, and the lake has some real quality crappie to cast to as well I just can't spider fish- if I'm gonna slow troll live baits it's gonna be shad for stripers.

tincanary

Quote from: thorhammer on November 10, 2022, 03:16:01 PMNoted brother, thanks! We've got some decent size perch, I had two citations just under two pounds, back in the day, and the lake has some real quality crappie to cast to as well I just can't spider fish- if I'm gonna slow troll live baits it's gonna be shad for stripers.

Here is where I get my parts.  https://www.hedgehog-studio.com/  That store does have a US site too, but the pricing is different and in US dollars which doesn't adjust according to the exchange rate, but both ship from the same place.  The exchange rate between JPY and USD is outstanding right now, better now than it has been in two decades.  While I do have good money into this reel, it did run me $300 less than if I had bought the parts a year ago.  Buying from Japan is a bargain right now.  If you wanted to buy a new reel, you could get a Calcutta Conquest for about $150 to $200 less than buying domestic.  You won't have a warranty, but you know your way around a reel anyway.  While they may seem a little intimidating by looking at schematics, they aren't too bad once you get into them. 

pointbob

Quote from: tincanary on November 11, 2022, 02:26:48 AM
Quote from: thorhammer on November 10, 2022, 03:16:01 PMNoted brother, thanks! We've got some decent size perch, I had two citations just under two pounds, back in the day, and the lake has some real quality crappie to cast to as well I just can't spider fish- if I'm gonna slow troll live baits it's gonna be shad for stripers.

Here is where I get my parts.  https://www.hedgehog-studio.com/  That store does have a US site too, but the pricing is different and in US dollars which doesn't adjust according to the exchange rate, but both ship from the same place.  The exchange rate between JPY and USD is outstanding right now, better now than it has been in two decades.  While I do have good money into this reel, it did run me $300 less than if I had bought the parts a year ago.  Buying from Japan is a bargain right now.  If you wanted to buy a new reel, you could get a Calcutta Conquest for about $150 to $200 less than buying domestic.  You won't have a warranty, but you know your way around a reel anyway.  While they may seem a little intimidating by looking at schematics, they aren't too bad once you get into them. 

whats the diff between the silver and the gold conquests? and do you think they blow any abu away in performance...you are right about the japanese pricing..used one on ebay are under 200. 

silver   https://www.ebay.com/itm/304664367849

gold  https://www.ebay.com/itm/304690786028

Patience comes to those who wait

tincanary

Quote from: pointbob on November 11, 2022, 02:37:50 AMwhats the diff between the silver and the gold conquests? and do you think they blow any abu away in performance...you are right about the japanese pricing..used one on ebay are under 200. 

silver   https://www.ebay.com/itm/304664367849

gold  https://www.ebay.com/itm/304690786028

Calcutta Conquest colors vary by production year as far as I know, there shouldn't be much of any performance difference since the model itself doesn't change often.  Compared to the Ambassadeur, it is a more precision made reel and feels objectively better.  The spools are also lighter than their Swedish made counterparts, which aids in throwing lighter baits.  Where the Abu shines is in durability and simplicity.  It can be taken anywhere and work no matter what, plus it's easy to service in the field if need be.  The Ambassadeur is still a great reel, even by today's standards.  However, it has a degree of slop in the precision, but that's because it's a much older design.  It's generally heavier and doesn't palm as well, but from a performance standpoint, it fishes great.  The precision feel of Japan's best does come at the cost of more complexity.  There are a lot of small parts and the clutch springs can be difficult to install if you don't have round nosed pliers.  I also own a Calcutta Conquest and it's a fine reel, but I enjoy my Abus more.