Different colour on Yamaha grease?

Started by Drisse, November 08, 2022, 12:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drisse

Quote from: jurelometer on November 09, 2022, 06:40:05 AMIf you are not doing a lot of reels, you can just get one grease for both drag lube and general use.   As noted in the other thread, we look for a high dropping point and PTFE for drag use.  NLGI 2 is about the right thickness.

I do a bunch of reels now and then. My thought was to buy a grease for general use that is easy to find in the stores. What I found out now is that the Quicksilver grease seems to be the easiest to find in stores near me. Will try and see if its mixable with CorrosionX for the bearings ?

jurelometer

Quote from: Drisse on November 09, 2022, 07:22:14 AM
Quote from: jurelometer on November 09, 2022, 06:40:05 AMIf you are not doing a lot of reels, you can just get one grease for both drag lube and general use.  As noted in the other thread, we look for a high dropping point and PTFE for drag use.  NLGI 2 is about the right thickness.

I do a bunch of reels now and then. My thought was to buy a grease for general use that is easy to find in the stores. What I found out now is that the Quicksilver grease seems to be the easiest to find in stores near me. Will try and see if its mixable with CorrosionX for the bearings ?

From what I have read, the thickeners tend to be where the incompatibilities lie when mixing greases. If you are trying to thin a synthetic grease with a synthetic oil, your odds should be better.  The risk will mostly be in the oil bleeding back out over time. Some folk here do grease thinning with varying degrees of success.  Probably best to avoid thinning with any lubricant that is delivered with a solvent.

Super Lube is cheap enough here that it makes no sense for me to buy a separate grease for general use.  I use it for drags and everything else.  I originally found the stuff when I needed a food safe high temp grease to fix my oven door hinges. Found out later that it worked well on reels :)

If I also needed a thinner grease, I would choose a thinner grade of Super Lube.  Why screw around trying to blend in some oil and hoping for the best?

-J

nelz

Quote from: jurelometer on November 09, 2022, 06:41:06 PMI use it for drags and everything else.

Which Super Lube variety do you use on drags?

foakes

SuperLube is an excellent grease.

Although it is Salt Water Resistant —- I use it primarily on fresh water spinners.

Then Yamaha Marine on salt-water reels.

Just personal choice for me. 

I think it will work well on any reel application.

It works well on drags —- but I prefer Cal's.

Again, just personal preference and what I am experienced and comfortable with putting out there on reels —- that I may not ever see again, or maybe once or twice in a decade.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Drisse

Quote from: jurelometer on November 09, 2022, 06:41:06 PM
Quote from: jurelometer on November 09, 2022, 06:40:05 AMIf you are not doing a lot of reels, you can just get one grease for both drag lube and general use.  As noted in the other thread, we look for a high dropping point and PTFE for drag use.  NLGI 2 is about the right thickness.

From what I have read, the thickeners tend to be where the incompatibilities lie when mixing greases. If you are trying to thin a synthetic grease with a synthetic oil, your odds should be better.  The risk will mostly be in the oil bleeding back out over time. Some folk here do grease thinning with varying degrees of success.  Probably best to avoid thinning with any lubricant that is delivered with a solvent.

Super Lube is cheap enough here that it makes no sense for me to buy a separate grease for general use.  I use it for drags and everything else.  I originally found the stuff when I needed a food safe high temp grease to fix my oven door hinges. Found out later that it worked well on reels :)

If I also needed a thinner grease, I would choose a thinner grade of Super Lube.  Why screw around trying to blend in some oil and hoping for the best?

-J
[/quote
Quote from: jurelometer on November 09, 2022, 06:41:06 PM

-J

I will try Super Lube. About thinning the grease I only want packed bearings to feel smoother on smaller conventional reels. I always think the reel feels to stiff when I handpack the bearings with the greases I've tried so far.
Will order some Super Lube today. Are there different Super Lube greases ?

Hardy Boy

I've only seen that one super lube grease. They make an oil I use on cork also.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Drisse

jurelometer

Just check out their web site:
https://www.super-lube.com/multi-purpose-synthetic-grease-with-syncolon-ptfe

The differrence is the  NLGI grade(thickness).  The variety that is easy to find is NLGI 2, which is what we generally use on reels. If the seller does not specify the grade, it is probably a 2 (which is true for most greases).

Here is a description that makes a food comparison (e.g. NLGI 2 = peanut butter).  Once you get below NLGI 0 it starts to be more of a liquid.   

https://www.thelubricantstore.com/laymans-guide-to-nlgi-grades/

Grease is oil + thickener + additives.  A higher ratio of oil is what makes it thinner.  When you are mixing extra oil into grease, you are doing a homemade version of a drop in NLGI grade.

-J

Lunker Larry

I second, third, etc superlube. I only work on fresh water reels but it is great. Use it on every part of the reel and also you can rub it into any plastic or bakelite to bring the finish back.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

jurelometer

I don't know if fresh vs. saltwater should be a consideration.

Greases that are labeled as "marine" have soaps (thickeners) and/or additives that address water resistance.  I have not been able to find an ingredient used in greases to better protect from saltwater  vs. water in general.

I suspect there may not be such an ingredient, but if someone else out there knows, please enlighten us.

-J