Daiwa Mini Spin problem

Started by Surfwrangler, November 10, 2022, 02:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surfwrangler

Morning Folks,
    I have a visibly good condition daiwa mini spin that I just had to have when I saw it. It is about the neatest little thing. That said, there is a problem with the reel. At the top of each handle rotation there is a very stiff spot to reel. This is exascerbated when all the frame/sideplate screws are tightened fully down. When the screws are a little less tight it will reel a little more freely, but there is a noticeable bulge on the side plate (for lack of a better term) on the top of the handle rotation where the stiff spot is.

I cannot visibly see any issue with the gearing, and the oscillation block appears to be clear of any impediment. The inside of this reel is very clean and honestly very simple. I would love to get it freed up to use from time to time. Any ideas what could be causing this stiff spot on the same cycle of reeling every rotation?? I'm stumped.

philaroman

something bent/deformed:
if same place per handle turn -- check handle shaft & main/teeth
if same place per rotor rotation -- check rotor obstruction & pinion/teeth
if same place per spool up/down stroke -- check spool shaft & pinion obstruction

well, check those things first...  then check everything else  

Surfwrangler

Here are a few picks of the offending little reel. It seems to me that the sticky spot is on the same spot every up and down spool stroke. If pull the shaft as far forward towards the spool the rub/stickiness is missed on that oscillation, but as soon as I leave it to its own devices it returns. The shaft has quite a bit of forward/backward play once set into the little oscillation block in the bottom of the reel housing. Im wondering if that is the problem. If it were more snug/flush that bit of play would go away and I think the rub/stickiness near the bottom of the oscillation stroke. I wonder if I were to manufacture a slightly larger diameter set pin that goes through the oscillation block and shaft if that would perhaps smooth it out? Open to ideas, i do not think it is the gears, they are in pretty good shape it seems.

nelz

It looks to me like the oscillation slider is upside down. (Part #42)

philaroman

Quote from: Surfwrangler on November 10, 2022, 05:38:12 PM...It seems to me that the sticky spot is on the same spot every up and down spool stroke...
before you do anything drastic/irreversible, take out spool shaft
& roll it on a sheet of glass, to make sure it's not bent
(that may be what wore the connection to O-block loose, to begin with)

foakes

Quote from: nelz on November 10, 2022, 05:49:52 PMIt looks to me like the oscillation slider is upside down. (Part #42)

Nelz has it exactly right, SW —-

Just flip the oscillation slider —-

As pictured, the curve needs to go upwards so as to not impact the frame reinforcement at the rear of the frame casing.

At the same spot, every time, when the spool shaft is at its southward journey —- it will slightly touch and cause a hesitation.

This is one of mine out of the bins.

Great reels!!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Surfwrangler

Nelz, nope the slider is oriented properly. It won't clear the main gear on the top of the oscillation if it is flipped around. It then binds at the top and bottom of the oscillation  ;D

Philorama, I put it on a quartz counter and could not discern any bend. I suspected this earlier so was one of the first few things I checked

Idk it may just end up as a novelty piece. Would love to catch a sea trout on it though

Surfwrangler

Oooohhh, my mistake I was confusing the oscillation slider to the oscillation block that the shaft goes in. I will try your orientation FOAKES. That May indeed be it. Thanks for the feedback yall

Surfwrangler

That did it guys, thanks a million.....now i just need the surf to settle down so i can go get me a couple sporty speckles  ;)

foakes

Easy day...Nelz called it.

If you ever wanted to —- the bushings could be easily replaced with bearings.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

reelynew

Quote from: foakes on November 10, 2022, 11:26:10 PMEasy day...Nelz called it.

Best, Fred

Fred,

Do you know if it is possible to replace nylon bushings (with the small lips) for bearings on opposing sides of the main gear shaft on these Daiwa reels?  I can post a photo if needed.  I just did one for a flat walled bushing on the pinion gear, but was curious about these nylon bushings. 

Thanks,

Matt
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.

foakes

Quote from: reelynew on February 05, 2023, 06:55:15 PM
Quote from: foakes on November 10, 2022, 11:26:10 PMEasy day...Nelz called it.

Best, Fred

Fred,

Do you know if it is possible to replace nylon bushings (with the small lips) for bearings on opposing sides of the main gear shaft on these Daiwa reels?  I can post a photo if needed.  I just did one for a flat walled bushing on the pinion gear, but was curious about these nylon bushings. 

Thanks,

Matt

Yes, and easy to do, Matt —-

Just measure the ID, OD, and thickness —- then order the bearings you need.  They will just drop in after popping out the nylon bushings.  The bushings will be the same measurements as the bearings.

What a lot of folks do not realize —- is the value of a lot of bearings advertised in modern plastic reels vs. the right amount of quality bearings in these more traditional quality metal-bodied reels.

While the advertising folks are trying to convince you that 13 to 15 bearings are better — they do not mention the reason graphite/plastic reels need this many bearings — because with sand, grit, stress, etc.  the bearings will help initially to give you a smoother cranking reel — but they will not hold up like the metal-bodied quality reels with less bearings and maybe only a few bearings in the right places.

As an example —- Penn reels have a full-metal body, a 4+1 stainless-steel-bearing system, and brass gears. "When you mix all those components together, if you have precise tolerances, you don't need a lot of bearings; you just need high-quality bearings in the right places.

It is not necessary to buy the highest number on ABEC bearings —- the mid range number (5) is more than adequate.  Got to remember —- while good quality bearings of solidly long wearing steel are important —- these are not bearings in a motor that may be spinning at a few thousand RPM's per minute —- these are fishing reels.  So don't waste your $$$ on the 7's.

Here is a decent company with great prices —- there are many others.

https://www.abec357.com/6x12x4-mm-SMR126-ZZ-P58-A7-AF2-ABEC357-p/smr126-zz-p58-a7-af2.htm

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Gfish

Yeah, those guy's are priced right and gave me quick service.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!