long casting

Started by Donnyboat, November 11, 2022, 02:56:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

Hi everyone, as you have witnest me talking aboutvery fine braid, 16 strand, & ciramic bearings for long casting, well, I was lucky enough to see some proven long casters cast on Sunday,  I learnt a few things,

for a start they dont use braid line, as it will dig in every now  then & snap the line, but they swear by the ciramic bearings,
      the sinkers they were casting, are  beach bomb mold, shaped like a torpedo, 100 grams up to 200 grams, I think an oz is 28 grams,
      there was one bloke who was using 125 grams, his age would be mid 60`s he was constantly casting 165 M to 180 M, and he was the straightest caster of the lot of them, another bloke in his mid fifties, was using 175 grams and sometime 200 gram bombs, he was spraying them around a bit, but most of his cast were 185 M up to 220 M, he said the 220 M cast was his personal best, all very interesting, I did not have a go, as my shoulder would not handle it, cheers Don. 
Don, or donnyboat

sabaman1

What rod lengths and actions do they use? Is this done at a park or football field for measurement?
JIM

Donnyboat

Thanks Jim, yes they were on a aussie rules foot ball ground, I think the distance between the goal post is 190 M, they had the first post @ 100M, the second @ 150 M then 175 M then 200 M, they were also using, a laser hand help  measure, it was very interesting, they were using 12 to 14 foot rods, with the reel set knot far  from the bottom end, about 6 to 8 inches, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

JasonGotaProblem

Interesting. Thank you for sharing. I assume we're talking conventional reels here but I don't want to just assume.

But I'm doing so anyway to post the question. I remember seeing talk of how you don't want a lot of back and forth on the spool for long casting because that robs momentum. But I imagine you would want lots of wide angle criss-crossing to prevent line digging. I guess one effect outweighs the other here.

I'd like to one day get good enough with my conventional casting to one day cast it further than I can cast a similar weight on a spinner, but I'm still working on technique.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Donnyboat

Yes Jason, conventional reels, with mono filament, just wind it on very tight, they dont bother with the criss cross, it has a bit of stretch in it, brain does not stretch & cuts in on its self, with the casting, they swing it about 280 degree, its hard to get a really accrat cast, but with some practice they get quite good at it, cheers don.
Don, or donnyboat

Gfish

Think a W shape on a wide spool. I saw this on a local TV fishing show. Guy was using a wide Ambassadeur, but couldn't see the model. The "W" supposedly reduces friction and keeps coils from getting buried. Each hump is separated from the others. Seemed not to take the guy too long to get it  onto the spool that way.

Hey Don, still getting those funny and interesting E-mail's, thanks a bunch, buddy!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Donnyboat

Thanks Greg, good to hear you getting a laugh or two, did you every get a rod for the Alvey reel I sent you, Alvey have definitely closed down, so those reel have increased in value, what they were asking $au 80:00 there now wanting $au150:00, they were using mostly daiwa reels, not any wider than a Penn GTO 220 & of course the line level was removed, & sealed of to keep the dirt out, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Cor

I presume I may make a few comments just from my own experience. 

• Usually the tackle the competitive casters use is not suitable for actual fishing.
    • Not one single factor effects the distance achieved, but a combination of.
    • On a conventional reels casting braid is not ideal, but it can be done.
    • The shape of the casting weight definitively has quite an effect on the cast.
    • A heavier weight does not necessarily mean a longer cast, nor does a longer rod.
    • Spinning reels cast easier and further then conventional reels under proper fishing conditions. 
      I have never fished with one!
    • Alvey reels don't cast well ;D (sorry Don)

Yesterday I went to test cast a new rod I had just finished, it had two different length but sections, making the rod 10 ft or 11 ft. (this is supposed to be the last shore use Yellowtail rod I will ever build)

I used a static magged Tranx 500 with 50lb braid and reached constant 80 Mt (you may convert) casting just over 2 & 1/4 oz weight on the 10 ft rod with a very light wind in my face.

Contrary to my expectations the 11 ft cast no further and makes the rod a little bit unwieldy.    The place where I was standing was not ideal for full strength pendulum casts and I felt a slightly heavier casting weigh may have helped, ..... I will work it out.

I was reasonably happy with that but did expect a bit better from the 11 ft.

Using a Tranx 500, with 0.45 mm mono and an adjustable mag & in a light side wind I should be able to improve the casting distance to roughly 110 Mt max!

I'll post a photo of the rod a bit later.

IMG_0529.JPGIMG_0531.JPG 
Cornelis

JasonGotaProblem

Since we are on the topic: Why do my baitcasters seem to do/cast just fine or better with braid, but that doesn't seem to be the case for conventionals?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Cor

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on November 12, 2022, 02:43:42 PMSince we are on the topic: Why do my baitcasters seem to do/cast just fine or better with braid, but that doesn't seem to be the case for conventionals?
Despite what I said above, I use braid on two of my conventional reels.  I am prepared to give up some casting distance for the benefit of having very strong and more line on the reel.   

Distance is not always that important.   Braid does have some benefits as well.
Cornelis

Rivverrat

My experience has been braid will cast further for me.
 At some point it can become an issue of safety for those near by.

Simply because it can pop & break
if the line on spool blows up or becomes imbedded. As was brought upprior here.

Smaller diameter line sets better & baits can hold in place much better.

I love casting for distance. However it has little place for the actual fishing I do... Jeff

Donnyboat

Yes Jeff, we find fishing from the beach, for maybe whiting or taylor, its best to cast in the trough in close, most of the fish,are there hunting for worms & white bait, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

jurelometer

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on November 11, 2022, 12:04:42 PMInteresting. Thank you for sharing. I assume we're talking conventional reels here but I don't want to just assume.

But I'm doing so anyway to post the question. I remember seeing talk of how you don't want a lot of back and forth on the spool for long casting because that robs momentum. But I imagine you would want lots of wide angle criss-crossing to prevent line digging. I guess one effect outweighs the other here.

I'd like to one day get good enough with my conventional casting to one day cast it further than I can cast a similar weight on a spinner, but I'm still working on technique.

First some terminology: a  coventional reel is a revolving spool reel.

A levelwind reel is a conventional  reel with a levelwind.

A baitcaster is a levelwind, usually a smaller freshwater casting model, but varies regionally. 

In terms  casting better, reasonably limp mono is generally going to give you the least headaches coming off the reel.  Braid does not stay perfectly round, so it tends to wedge in the gaps in the spool. A levelwind helps here with  aggressive (cross hatching) and consistent line lay, but this does theoretically rob some distance, as you noted.

In addition to requiring more energy to extract the larger mono from  the spool and straighten it out, friction for the line moving through a fluid (air) is a function of surface area, so the much thinner braid has a significant advantage.

I don't think in actual fishing circumstances that there is a huge difference in casting distance if the two types of line are of equal diameter.  If  I am comparing 65lb braid to 60 (or even 30) lb mono with a 2oz jig, braid wins by a long shot.

-J

Donnyboat

Thanks Mr J, many of jig has been lost using braid, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Cor

Quote from: Donnyboat on November 13, 2022, 03:12:14 PMThanks Mr J, many of jig has been lost using braid, cheers Don.
Agreed!
If you make a full power cast using braid of say 50 lb, a 10 - 11 ft rod and 3 oz weight and you experience a sudden stop of the reel, you may lose more then just the lure.
Cornelis