Thrift Store Mitchells Resurrection

Started by akroper, November 14, 2022, 06:22:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akroper

Hello, All,
New member here.  This is my first real post, and my first attempt at adding photos.  I picked up these two reels, a 302 and a 406, at the thrift store the other day.  They were crusty.  I mean literally crusty.  They looked like they had been stored in a barn for decades, and had a 16th inch layer of dirt, hay dust, and what might have been powdered manure on the surfaces that had been facing up.  The 302 would crank, but it was very stiff.  The 406 was inoperable.  The crank wouldn't turn, and the rotor flopped around and would turn independently of the crank.  I didn't get any "before" pictures, but here are some after disassembly, cleaning, polishing, lubing, and reassembly.
P1040284.JPG
P1040280.JPG
P1040360.JPG
P1040361.JPG 

I previewed some of the tutorials regarding the 406, and paid heed to the warnings about the ball bearing and the little keeper/pin under the rotor lock. No problems with the bearing, but the pin was nowhere to be found.  I searched through all the grease and and any voids it might have found its way into.  It was gone.  That's why the rotor turned free of the gear train. I went ahead and reassembled the reel so no other parts would evaporate before final repair.  The 406 has a blue rotor band and a blue "high speed" decal on the handle.  I'd not seen this before on a 406.  Any significance to the blue band and sticker?

Does anyone have a good photo of the pin?  Do you think one could be made from some heavy stainless wire?  If not, it's off to eBay.

I'd like to say how much I appreciate this forum and its contributors.  It really does feel like family here. 

Best Regards,   Ron 
Nine of the eleven voices in my head are telling me to go fishing today.

foakes

I should have a pin for you.

Will check tomorrow morning.

Nice job!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: akroper on November 14, 2022, 06:22:02 AMHello, All,
New member here.
P1040360.JPG
P1040361.JPG 

The 406 has a blue rotor band and a blue "high speed" decal on the handle.  I'd not seen this before on a 406.  Any significance to the blue band and sticker?

I'd like to say how much I appreciate this forum and its contributors.  It really does feel like family here. 

Best Regards,   Ron 

It means it's a later version, 1978ish. Nothing special other than that.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Here is the keeper key/pin, AK —-

It is used on 302, 303, 306, 307, 406, 407 —- maybe some others.

If this is what you need, PM me your mailing address and I will send one out, N/C.

If I get your address this morning, it will go out in the mail.

If not, it will be at least a week —- since we are leaving for a camping trip.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

happyhooker

Greetings, Ron, from Minnesota.  Looks like some nice work on those two Mitchells.  Lots of folks here are interested in them.

Envy foakes going camping.  Have not seen 30 degrees here in at least 5 days, and now have a coating of snow on the ground as well.  A little cool for camping.

Frank

Midway Tommy

Keep that snow up there to yourself, Frank!   ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

--------

Fred O.

Brewcrafter

Nice job Ron anytime you can save something from the dustbin of neglect with a little bit of care and elbow grease and give it decades more service!  You will feel that satisfaction every time you use them, thanks for sharing! - john

Donnyboat

Nice Ron, good find & a very good restore, thanks for showing us, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat