Which DAM Series to Fish With?

Started by akroper, November 14, 2022, 06:47:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Any DQ can handle salt water.

Like with any reel used for the sea —- install extra Marine grease. On any intrusion points —- then if used weekly, break down the reel partway and regrease a couple of times a year.

Upon inspection, make sure that the SW has not mixed with the grease.  If it has —- break down and clean the reel completely —- then re-grease and re-oil with Marine grease like Yamaha, Penn, Superlube, or Cal's.

Rinsing in fresh water (just let the water run gently over the reel, no forceful spraying).

Then spray with a light application of WD40. This displaces the water with no harm to the reel —- and protects it.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Barishi

Thanks so much for the info Fred. Just curious, do you notice less failures with the Finessa "N" series reels compared to the basic Finessas? I once asked Alan Hawk about vintage reels worth fishing some time ago, and he recommended the 110N-550N over the rest because it had an AR acting on the pinion.

Also, can the bails fold down on these reels? I swear they could. What's a good price to pay for them?

jgp12000

I personally like the AR on the older models by the crank seems more durable and if your fishing live bait speed shouldn't be an issue?Also,reel magic is good stuff ,I have seen it really help finicky line.

foakes

Just curious, do you notice less failures with the Finessa "N" series reels compared to the basic Finessas? I once asked Alan Hawk about vintage reels worth fishing some time ago, and he recommended the 110N-550N over the rest because it had an AR acting on the pinion.

I have a tremendous amount of admiration and respect for Alan Hawk —- but you may have misunderstood him.  The "N" series of reels has a anti-reverse system that works on the lower inside edge of the rotor.  There is a spring-loaded dog that interacts with stop-notches on the inner rotor.

The '00, '01, and '02 Championship later series has a A/R that acts on the front of the worm-pinion.

On the 110 - 550 models, and the 270, 280, & 285 —- the A/R interacts with the backside of the main gear.  The spring-loaded dog drops into any one of eight holes set at 45 degrees apart on the main phospher-cut bronze gear.  Hence the clicking sound when the A/R is active.

I suppose the earlier series would be a little stronger compared to the "N" series —- but the failure rate on the A/R's on either of these reels is close to zero.  So it is personal preference, IMO..

Also, can the bails fold down on these reels? Most of them do, yes.

I swear they could. What's a good price to pay for them?

They are all over the Board, price wise.  But as a rule, they are under-valued compared to other reels.  EBay is a good indicator.  Take the last (10) "SOLD" models that you are interested in — toss out the highest number, toss out the lowest number —- then average the remaining eight.  That is a decent indicator —- providing condition is mostly equal.

I may have 50 of each model, or only 5 of some of the more popular models.

The benchmark I go by —-

You can't pay too much for a pristine DQ —- or too little for a rough one.

Best, Fred

:fish
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Barishi

Right, I misunderstood then. Thanks Fred. Was expecting an anti reverse on the older Finessas a la Penn 704

oldmanjoe

Well that didn`t take long , what a sweet deal.  Went dirt cheap.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

jgp12000

Dumb question ,the small handles are 280,large are 285 Finessas?

Barishi

Quote from: oldmanjoe on November 19, 2022, 03:29:30 PMWell that did take long , what a sweet deal.  Went dirt cheap.

Dude, I wanted to buy that after my exams next week!
(Was 85 for the bunch iirc)
 :'(

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Barishi on November 19, 2022, 03:50:45 PM
Quote from: oldmanjoe on November 19, 2022, 03:29:30 PMWell that did take long , what a sweet deal.  Went dirt cheap.

Well we both Failed to pull the trigger !!!      Hope you do better on your exams
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Barishi

Quote from: oldmanjoe on November 19, 2022, 03:56:00 PM
Quote from: Barishi on November 19, 2022, 03:50:45 PM

Well we both Failed to pull the trigger !!!      Hope you do better on your exams

Thanks. Checked with the guy, he said he's putting a new listing later. Fingers crossed.

Midway Tommy

I'm pretty sure I know the guy that bought that group.  :D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Midway Tommy on November 19, 2022, 05:49:39 PMI'm pretty sure I know the guy that bought that group.  :D
>:D  Pretty sure , or know for sure .  :fish     Good for you ..

Midway Tommy

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Milan S

Quote from: Barishi on November 19, 2022, 09:02:29 AMThanks so much for the info Fred. Just curious, do you notice less failures with the Finessa "N" series reels compared to the basic Finessas? I once asked Alan Hawk about vintage reels worth fishing some time ago, and he recommended the 110N-550N over the rest because it had an AR acting on the pinion.

Also, can the bails fold down on these reels? I swear they could. What's a good price to pay for them?

I love the N series precisely because the AR is on the rotor. There are several reasons for this.

1. The main drive is not exposed to shocks because the braking is before the main drive.

2. AR on the rotor has a larger number of stop positions, so the movement of the rotor back is shorter than on other models.

3. Braking takes place around the circumference of the rotor and much less force is needed to stop the rotor compared to the AR which is on the pinion.

The disadvantage is that the rotor is made of aluminum.

handi2

Quote from: handi2 on November 14, 2022, 10:49:02 PMI have a number of the DQ reels but in my opinion they are just too slow and clunky. Just like the Penn 704/706.

I have to retract my statement on the smaller DQ reels. I found a sweet 300 that is much tighter and a higher gear ratio than the bigger ones.

I would fish this one
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL