Penn 722 problem

Started by Steelyfinn, December 01, 2022, 07:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelyfinn

I recently acquired this 722 parts reel and hoped to replace a few parts to get it in working order.  When I opened it up and started to take it apart, I found the handle assembly to be firmly stuck in the gear assembly.
I thought I finally got it broken loose, but realized that the steel shaft is actually rotating inside the gear.
I've used Kroil on it and attempted to loosen it for the last couple of days, but still no luck.

I know the gear is now toast, so I'm thinking that the only way to get it out now would be to drill out the shaft at the center of the gear, and see what I'm dealing with to get the gear shaft out and salvage the handle assembly.

Has anyone else had this problem or have any other suggestions on dealing with this?

JasonGotaProblem

I had a similar problem on one I got for free a few months ago. used my bench mount vise to push it through. Was not my first choice but nothing else was working. Once I got it moving the rest was easy. Mine was caked with salt. A vinegar soak likely would have done better.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

foakes

Jason is right —- 30 minute vinegar bath will help.

Then try to punch or hydraulically press it out.

First, remove the handle from the handle/axle attachment so as to not waste or tweak the crank.

This may mean you need to sacrifice the connector piece if needed.

The high speed 722 gears are rare —- but I found a couple of new ones, if you don't have another source (they are likely discontinued) —- plus any other parts you may need.

Another trick is to cut a slot across the crank axle where it attaches to the gear —- using large screwdriver on the cut slot —- use a rod on the connector hole —- and back the connector piece off.  It will generally back off.

Then just replace the gear an possibly the connector piece —- and you are good to go.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Steelyfinn

Thanks for the ideas Jason and Fred.

I'll take the handle off and give it a little vinegar soak  and get to work on it again.

Jon

handi2

I have the parts available and might have a complete reel. I used to use them in 2005 for inshore saltwater

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

oldmanjoe

I would lay a block of wood down , than prop up the reel handle down on the wood .    With a center punch ,put 3 or 4 punches spaced out at the shaft / gear line . That should lock the shaft and gear again . And possibly shock the assembly loose . 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oldmanjoe on December 02, 2022, 12:00:57 AMI would lay a block of wood down , than prop up the reel handle down on the wood .    With a center punch ,put 3 or 4 punches spaced out at the shaft / gear line . That should lock the shaft and gear again . And possibly shock the assembly loose . 

One could also make sure the shaft and gear are flush and use a small cold chisel to make those crimping cuts. Who knows, a guy might be able to make that a permanent fix if you got a really good cut or two out of the four. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Steelyfinn

Thanks for the other suggestions Joe and Tommy - I got the gear out without damaging any of the crank assembly by using one of Fred's suggestions.

I took off the crank arm and handle a gave the connector/gear shaft assembly a couple of 30 minute vinegar soaks, but still couldn't unscrew the connector from the gear shaft.  So I cut a slot across the end of the gear shaft with a dremmel tool and unscrewed the handle connector from the shaft with a screwdriver and a piece of 3/16" rod through the connector.  It didn't take much to break it free with the screwdriver.  The main gear had a number of cracks in it.

Thanks to all for the ideas on this- it sure is nice to be able to ask such a knowledgeable group for their advice.

Keith, I'll send a pm about parts if you have them.

Jon

foakes

Good job, SteelyFinn!

I was hoping that you could work it out with only wasting the gear (which was already unreliable even with a repair.  It could/would fail at the worst possible time in the future, IMO. I could not rely on it for a client or myself)

It only leaves the bench if I would fish it myself.

You did very well.

If Keith doesn't have the high speed gear (the more common 720 gears are not the same as the high speed 722 gears) — or if Mystic does not have it — I do, and can send it out.

Also, check the pinion gear to make sure there is no damage and that there is a quiet and smooth gear meshing operation.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

Fred all I had were the 720 gears.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL