330 Spool

Started by jgp12000, December 04, 2022, 02:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

I just got this "Mint 330 Spool" off Ebay for my 285 Finessa and it looks mint except it will not lock on the 280.
The flip side looks different.280 left 330 right?

oldmanjoe

They are interchangeable .   Are you giving it a little twist when installing it ,to make sure it line up with the drive dog .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

Since there are (4) versions of the 280/285 Finessas —-

And only one of the 330 Finessas (plus a transition one).

The spools are interchangeable —- but sometimes the brass spool arbor and the click wheel needs to be changed also.

Easy enough to do.

The 280 is the earliest version of the Finessa model.  The Finessa was produced for about 10 years in (4) slight variations.

Lots of anglers worldwide use the metal Finessa spool on the 330's for added strength when bringing in larger fish.

The main thing —- the spools are interchangeable — just need some minor tweaks depending on the reel, spool, etc.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jgp12000

Yep Joe, I tried fiddling with it, just won't lock as is. The Seller will take returns ,it is mint. but of no use to me as is. I wanted to be able to swap spools whenever, without changing the brass spool arbor and the click wheel. Fred, If you have the parts I can send you these inards for someone else to use? I also need if you happen to have:

Cardinal 3
1.Drag washers/black drag knob
2.Bail springs/arms

Thank you,
James

oldmanjoe

I wounder if some one cleaned the inside and left some q tip in there ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

Here again, remember, there are variations in these Finessa reels, James —-

At least (2) with the 280's, another (2) with the 285's, one transition between a 285 and a 330.

Then also, some of the 280's do not have the "push button" release —- they have a screw on drag knob with a threaded spool shaft.

Plus, over 60-70 years —- parts get changed out, adapted, or mixed up.

Then, on top of all of that —- the spool on the left is a 285 —- not a 280.

I would be glad to straighten all of this out for you at no charge —- but I would need you to send me the reel and the 330 spool so I can get it right the first time.  N/C.

Also, which drag washers do you need for the Cardinal 3?  Will send the black Cardinal drag knob, drag washers, and the returned reel back in one shipment.

Glad to help, if you decide to go this route.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

You have my attention now , Like you said parts may have been changed over the years .
        I would check the depth on both axles to see if there is a difference 
 I have a couple of this style axles that will fit on 2 dozen 30 size reels that i have.
    I have a 330 and a 285 spools in front of me now that work on everything I`ve  tried.

I would like to hear what you find .    The only thing that i have come across was trash in the top of the chrome tip and once a dented chrome top that would get stuck in the brass barrel from time to time .     AH the mystery :)

When i blow up James`s picture it looks like the cross pin slot is grooved or is that a grease track from the pin laying in there .    James`s picture is the last one and click on to see the groove

Midway Tommy

QuoteAlso, which drag washers do you need for the Cardinal 3?  Will send the black Cardinal drag knob, drag washers, and the returned reel back in one shipment.

Guys, don't forget there are two different black Cardinal 3 drag knobs, one with white numbers and one with gold numbers. The ones with white numbers are for the last ('78 -'81) green and tan versions non-skirted spool Cardinal 3s. Those with the gold numbers are for the later Japanese made ABU Garcia black skirted spool Cardinal 3s. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

jgp12000

I took both spools apart again and it appears the 285 arbor is 1/16" longer than the 330 arbor and also has a brass washer along with a fiber washer.When I put the 285 arbor in the 330 spool with the drag knob tightened down it still has slop
vertically on the shaft.Also,I tried just the 330 arbor directly on the shaft with no spool and it still will not lock? I think at this point I will just send it back to the seller for $3.90.Attached is the 285 Ted gave me that Fred restored.I have never seen the smaller handle on a 285 is this an older version than the larger handle 285s?

jgp12000

Fred,

I think I will just keep the 285 as is original,if you can send the C3 parts that would be great?

Cardinal 3
1.Drag washers-2ea(11124)/black drag knob(white numbers)
2.Bail springs(11165/11166)Arms(11163/11164)

Steelyfinn

The German website on DAM reels show some DQ285's in the transition years had the smaller handle and even a serial number like the 280's had.  I have one of those myself.

Jon