first time servicing a reel

Started by reelynew, December 04, 2022, 08:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reelynew

Hello Everyone,

I discovered this forum recently when looking to service a reel that my Father in law gave to me.  He's no longer able to fish and I'd like to repurpose it for crabbing in the Bay Area.  I found the following post on this forum which is the same reel I am going to work on.  Daiwa AG9000X

This will be the first time I'm opening a reel to service it.  I peeked inside and noticed that some of the gear tips are bent over a little bit and the grease has congealed.  I'm planning on using simple green to remove and clean the internals and then regrease.  Has anyone ever used a file to the main gear to correct for that or will this end up making it worse?  The reel has more sentimental value to me. 

Without reinventing the wheel, is there a recommended video I should look at before to give me the best chance of success?

Thank you and I appreciate any feedback,

Matt
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.

JasonGotaProblem

Dude we need pics. Bent over gear tips? That is something I need to see.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Brewcrafter

Matt - Welcome, you are in the right place.  Jason is right, a picture is worth a thousand words.  I am guessing that some gear teeth are a little chewed up, which unfortunately many times if one gear is a little roached it's mate is damaged as well.  I understand that this is a sentimental reel, and inasmuch as I am not intimately familiar with it I will defer to the Daiwa experts but I would be surprised if this reel cannot be resurrected to service. - john

happyhooker

Welcome, Matt, from Minnesota.  You will get some useful advice here, I believe.

Frank

handi2

Make sure you take pictures as you go..!!

Clean most of the old grease out before you take much of it apart. This was you can see what your doing.

Keep the parts is a tray, bowl, or something so they don't get lost.

Use a solvent like mineral spirits for an easy cleaning. Simple Green, Dawn, and the like just wont cut through that old stuff. Even charcoal lighter fluid if you have some around the house.

The reel is a very basic design and it will make your father proud!!

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

JasonGotaProblem

Cheap electric toothbrush and charcoal lighter fluid can defeat any grease.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Midway Tommy

Done it often (gear touchup with a file) on the pot metal main geared reels. I generally use an oval mini/micro file from the set. They're never perfect afterwards but they're usually a little smoother and less noisy.

Be very careful with Simple Green! It can really screw up some metal and plastic surfaces, especially painted surfaces. I would never use Simple Green on a reel. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Bryan Young

I use a toothpick and pick out congealed grease.  then into a Dawn Ultra with hot water bath and soak a bit.  then while in the bath, use a toothbrush to try to dislodge the remaining great.

If that doesn't work, then I let it dry out.  then I soak it in WD-40 and go at it with a toothbrush again in the WD-40 wash.  Once I am able to get the grease out, I re-wash it in a Dawn Ultra and hot water solution to remove all of the remnants of the WD-40.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

matt, welcome.  it sounds like new gears are in order.  spinning reels are tough to start with.  parts are hard to come by.  the reassembly is not always straight forward.  here is the schematic.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0384/6645/3641/files/AG9000X.pdf

i found a new main gear but not the pinion. 

https://www.amazon.com/DAIWA-Spinning-Reel-Part-L00-7801/dp/B07KL62G12

it is possible that the pinion gear and rotor are one piece.  that would be bad.  i could not find a rotor.  southwest parts in dallas might have it.  maybe also check with daiwa directly. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gfish

In that post you referenced, they didn't remove the rotor. If there's ball bearing in there, it might be a good idea to check it out.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

reelynew

Thank you all for your input into this.  I will be taking it apart and cleaning it this weekend.  I'll take some photos to help me put it back together and possibly show the issues with the gear.  Alan, I did try calling Daiwa and they mentioned that there were no parts available for this reel, though I believe there are certain common parts in it to some newer reels.  Thanks for the link to the gear.  Matt

alantani

there has to be a separate part number for the pinion gear.  i always recommend replacing the main and pinion together as a set.  never one at a time. 

reelynew

My apologies if you all see this post twice.  The gears are in better condition that when I had first looked after now taking the internals apart.  I am a little stuck at the moment though.  Does anyone have suggestions on how I can remove the rotor assembly from the reel body and also how to remove the anti reverse?  I have attached a photo of my current progress.  Thanks and appreciate any help.

Just in case, here's a link to the schematic

Matt

alantani

can we get a photo of the top of the rotor?  there is usually a hex nut.  the schematics are really bad.  i don't think that it's accurate at all.   :-\

reelynew

Thank you Alan - Here's the top of the rotor.  I rotated it, but could not find a fastener to match exactly with the larger hole in this image.  Is it possible that this was pressed together?