Dam Quick 4000fd

Started by sharkman, December 05, 2022, 11:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

Has anyone had experience with these reels

sharkman

handi2

I looked it up on the web.

It looks like a very modern reel. I couldn't find where it came from! Germany or overseas?

It has an overseas flare to it with the bearing count, fiberglass core carbon fiber drags, etc.

Also the nomenclature using FD to state Front Drag.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

philaroman

high-end Okuma...  possibly Taiwan, rather than China
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=31038.msg362355#msg362355

foakes

A lot of guys are not going to like what my opinion of these reels is, because...really, the only fault is they are not priced high enough. 

If a Shimano, Daiwa, or Penn had these quality materials, proven engineering, and tight tolerance manufacturing —- their price range would be $275 to $325, IMO.

Right now, these are priced at less than half of that.

This is the result of a fairly hidden long-term relationship between D.A.M. & Okuma —- both very high quality tackle firms.

This series of reels incorporates all of the features we learned to respect in the earlier DQ Champion Series —- plus a few modern additions.

The reels are designed, engineered, and tested in Germany —- but manufactured by Okuma in Asia —- to the exacting highest German Engineering standards.

Each reel is guaranteed for life, each has an individual serial number.

Aluminum exterior, fold-down snap crank, front drag, worm drive with bronze and steel gears, IAR + 9 additional bearings, "S-Line oscillation, adjustable line lay, and a lot more.

These reels check all of my boxes —- and are a pleasure to fish.

How often have most of us complained —"if this reel only had this, or that, or if they did "X" ??". 

Well, finally someone (DAM & Okuma) "got it" right by combining historical, proven capability and quality — with the best of modern reel tech.

Just too inexpensive. 

If they were double the price point, they would sell a lot more —-

This is a quality series of capable reels —- at its finest.

I have all (4) of these, plus a few spares.

Great reels!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

Gulf Breeze, FL

Gfish

Interesting translation in the reel description. Is it German to English, or Chinese to English?  Maybe both?
Also, that is real interesting, Fred, that they would actually sell more if the price-point was doubled...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

Quote from: Gfish on December 06, 2022, 01:52:09 PMInteresting translation in the reel description. Is it German to English, or Chinese to English?  Maybe both?
Also, that is real interesting, Fred, that they would actually sell more if the price-point was doubled...

German to English, Greg —

And if you read the older owners manuals from the 50's, 60's, 70's —- I think the same guy is still alive and doing the translating!

These are limited editions —- I doubt that they will be available much longer or stay at these low prices, or maybe be discontinued.

As to pricing —-

Marketing is a tricky and funny thing that even a lot of good businesses do not understand too well.  More good firms have gone by the wayside because, while they had a great quality product —- they did not put as much planning and effort into their marketing program as they did in their engineering division.  Both are needed.

The general angling public —- globally —- equates price with quality.  While that is seldom true, if one does good research —- it is still the reality for the general public (not our members who know how to get into, service, upgrade, and can discern a good value on a reel).

Knowing how a reel should feel, operate, sound —- is a direct result of knowing what is inside —- how it works, and how it holds up.

So, we are different —- but we are not the target market that a company can stay in business selling to.  We are a very small segment, actually.

Psychologically, if something costs more it must be better, right? 

Once you examine one of these 1000FD —- 4000FD metal DQ reels in detail —- inside and out —- the value will be apparent.

Also, don't get these mixed up with the other DQ reels using the same model numbers (1000FD - 4000FD).  These special editions are metal, the others are graphite.  Just a spare spool for one of these is $40 - $50, shipped — and these come with one already!

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Aiala

Fred, out of curiosity, is the biggest one (the 4000?) comparable in size to say, a Penn 704/750SS, or a Garcia/Mitchell 402? Would it be appropriate for a long-range trip?

Inquiring busybodies want to know...  ^-^

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

handi2

Compared to a Penn reel it would be like the 550ss
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

Quote from: Aiala on December 06, 2022, 08:51:28 PMFred, out of curiosity, is the biggest one (the 4000?) comparable in size to say, a Penn 704/750SS, or a Garcia/Mitchell 402? Would it be appropriate for a long-range trip?

Inquiring busybodies want to know...  ^-^

~A~

Hi Lannie —-

4000 is the largest of the (4) sizes.

18.1 ounces.

3 CF drags, 3 SS drag washers.

Gear ratio is 1:4.1, the 3000 is the same, the 2000 & 1000 is higher at 1:4.8.

Line capacity with mono is 120 yards of 30lb, 150 yards of 25lb, 210 yards of 20lb.  Braid might increase these numbers by 50%.

Comparable to a 750, 704, or a 302/402.

Should be good on a long ranger.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

handi2

Gear ratio 1:4.1 ??

That's super slow by any comparison
Gulf Breeze, FL

Aiala

Thanks, Fred! I'm still a little unsure what the 'FD' signifies... is it "Front Drag"?

Also, you posted earlier "...don't get these mixed up with the other DQ reels using the same model numbers (1000FD - 4000FD). These special editions are metal, the others are graphite." How do you tell?

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

foakes

Quote from: Aiala on December 06, 2022, 09:28:33 PMThanks, Fred! I'm still a little unsure what the 'FD' signifies... is it "Front Drag"?

Also, you posted earlier "...don't get these mixed up with the other DQ reels using the same model numbers (1000FD - 4000FD). These special editions are metal, the others are graphite." How do you tell?

~A~

Right, Lannie —-

Front drag —- which is down inside the aluminum skirted spool —- and easily accessible from the front.  Dead simple and easy.

The only metal ones are these special editions.  And the metal body and components should be clearly stated.

These are the smoothest operating reels.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

foakes

Quote from: handi2 on December 06, 2022, 09:21:05 PMGear ratio 1:4.1 ??

That's super slow by any comparison

Not really, Keith —-

Penn is 4.6 to 1, Mitchell 402 is 4.5 to 1, the DQ 4000FD is
4.1 to 1.

D.A.M. generally has always kept the gear ratio slightly lower in their larger reels on purpose.

Many of the fish caught with these in Europe, Australia, and Canada are heavy fish.  Canal and Lake Carp, Rays, Salmon, Lakers, Pike, Muskie —-

In most scenarios —- There is not much difference between 4.1 & 4.6.

The lower the high speed ratio is —- the larger the fish that can be handled without damage to the gearing.  4.1 seems about right and will work well.

If one needs 1:6, or similar for fast jigging —- a different reel would be in order.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.