Pflueger Temco 2078

Started by JasonGotaProblem, December 09, 2022, 02:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

My coworkers brought me this reel to see what i can do with it. He wants to keep it on a shelf and likes the patina and doesn't want that removed. So I guess it's just gonna get re-lubed and de-dusted?

Can anyone tell me anything interesting about the history of this model to pass along?
If it were me and I wanted to keep the antique look, I would probably clean up the spool but keep the rest. But it ain't me.

It won't go into gear currently. I assume it's gunked up with hardened grease.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

handi2

Jason I would spray it down with WD40 and wipe it down.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Paul Roberts

Was a lower line SW reel. Search "Temco" on ORCA's Reel Talk forum.

Here's an ad I found on ebay. By the looks of it the 2078 got an upgraded seat from the earlier 2075, screwed from stamped.

Shellbelly

Hey Paul!

Some reels get crusty and others age gracefully...kind of like people.

I think that reel should get a bath and continue on gracefully.  My problem is I always want to look inside.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

JasonGotaProblem

Oh I'm going in. He agrees I should clean up tue spool but leave the patina on the rest. And I'm gonna get it functional again.

I'm not on ORCA, but can someone give me a date range for this?

Paul Roberts

The one ad above was dated 1952.

You don't have to register with ORCA to search the Reel Talk forum.

Hey, Shellbelly! :)

boon

I'd say remove dirt and grime but leave any patina. Obviously it's quite tricky to differentiate between the two at times.

Paul Roberts

A bit more on the Temco. Temco is an acronym for The Enterprise Manufacturing Company, who made Pflueger reels. The Temco was reintroduced (actually a whole new reel using the same name) in 1939. The 2078 was the larger size with 3-1/4" plates. Your reel has the original coffee grinder handle knob making it a 1930 or 1940 model. In '41 it went to a torpedo grip. In '52 the Temco was given a metal ring to support the Bakelite plates, and updated drag discs. The Temco was offered until 1957.

thorhammer

Quote from: handi2 on December 11, 2022, 07:51:45 AMJason I would spray it down with WD40 and wipe it down.

i was about say the same. 40 is great for that.

Midway Tommy

To some metal corrosion engineers "patina" is considered a euphemism for electrochemical oxidation. There's a real fine line between leaving a light film and allowing metal degradation underneath.

Personally, I despise "patina" on almost everything, especially metal.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Basically, "Patina" is the new eBay code word description for corrosion/rust.

Sounds more flowery than "rust".

If I was doing it as a "Shelf Queen" —-

Full disassemble, clean all parts to remove grime and old grease & crud.

After cleaning the Bakelite sideplates with Dawn — Polish the sideplates with Nevr-Dull —- buff with a microfiber cloth.

Reassemble.  Use modern greases sparingly (it won't be fished, just set on a shelf).  Light oil if needed on the spool ends.

There will be enough "Patina" left over to make him happy.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JasonGotaProblem

What Fred described is basically exactly what I did. The spool shaft was a bit bent so freespool was non existent, but I straightened that out.

However something is wrong. It won't go into gear. Does anyone have a schematic? I need to figure out if anything is missing.

Shellbelly

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on December 21, 2022, 01:38:14 AMI need to figure out if anything is missing.
Can you post a pic of the intact gear side?  I don't have a Temco, But I do have an Ohio.  If we're lucky, they will be similar.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)