Surfmaster 200

Started by ourford, December 18, 2022, 07:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ourford

Found an old Surfmaster at a yard sale and cleaned it up. Works very well now. Anybody see a left side bearing like this before? It's kind of unusual as it kind of "snaps" when you insert the spool shaft.
Vic

Aiala

I think it's a long-obsolete after-market gizmo to reduce backlashes, but the experts will soon weigh in.  :)

~A
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

PacRat

I forget what it's called but it has oil in it to create a little bit of drag to reduce backlash. You can control it by the oil amount and viscosity. I might have instructions store somewhere but may take a while to dig them up.

ourford

Good to know. Thanks guys!
Vic

thorhammer

Yep, I have one and like it. It's on my 25991/0 LongJohnSilverBeachDeluxeSurfjigmaster which is to say I dumped out a bunch of spare parts and made a really sweet throwing reel out of them, and the knobby bearing works well enough for its day.

John

thorhammer

Found it. There should also be a 12 in the number, on account of the Int 12 bars in it courtesy of Ted.

Brewcrafter

If Johnny Cash built fishing reels.  Sweet! - john

Gfish

A-squared bearing, or something like that?... filled with different viscosity oils to control spool speeds.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Deepennz

Hi there,
Those attachments found on the left side bearing of casting reels are called "Fluid Hub's".
There is good information from Mike C in  Penn Tutorials/Show us your long beach/page 3.
They seem to be most commonly found on the Surfmasters - I have a #150 from the early 1950's with one.

Cheers
Martin

Aiala

On the Flea site:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/383660430099

I bought one of these many many years ago, but never affixed it to a reel... have no clue what I did with it.   :o 

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

mo65

The Fluid Hub is a pretty nifty devise...and actually does help control spool speed. I put one on this Monofil 27, and in combination with the plastic spool, you can almost wing the thing without any thumb at all. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

ourford

Great posts. Found a lot of info and the instructions thanks to you all.
Vic

thorhammer

Great looking reel, Mike!

foakes

Great job on that reel, Mike!

As usual...

Lots of Pros on this site.

And most of them have gotten their education and experience by becoming active on Alan's site.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.