Langley LureCast Revamp

Started by Paul Roberts, December 25, 2022, 06:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts

I did it again. Just didn't want to fish with a red reel. So, I went to "serious black" using VHT Wrinkle paint. It's a common reel with little historical value so I don't mind altering it more to my liking.

The red anodizing on this one was a bit faded and scuffed. Internally it was in good shape. And after complete teardown, cleaning, polishing of the important internal parts, and appropriate lubing, she quietly spins like a top.

JasonGotaProblem

That's an interesting wiffle spool on it for how old I assume it is.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Paul Roberts

JGP, the Langley "anti-inertia" spool came out in 1947. This particular model was eventually acquired by Zebco in 1962 and hung around for a few years more. The spool design does appear to help control spool start-up and slow-down. They are nice casters.

Thanks, Fred!

JasonGotaProblem

BFS before it was cool. I love it. Now I wanna find one. What kind of line are you gonna put on it?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Paul Roberts

Thanks. Yeah, I'm loving it too.
It'll get 10lb braided nylon to start, with 6 to 8lb mono leaders. These are light duty reels. Being direct drive I'm expecting it to handle down to 1/4oz. Will shoot for 1/8oz, most probably with short casts. Not quite BFS but as close as an old reel can come without yanking the levelwind.

oc1

The Langley Target 340 has essentially the same frame and spool but will handle lighter baits due to the absence of a levelwind and the presence of a freespool clutch.

Cor

Very neat paint job.   Looks great.
Cornelis

Donnyboat

you brought that reel back to life, I like it, thanks for showing us, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Paul Roberts

Thanks, all. Fun to share it.

Steve, I've yet to acquire a Target. They tend to go high so I've stayed out of the fray. And I'm not all that keen on minding line lay. I have a couple Meisselbach's to practice with though. I've seen your Target and Meisselbach threads. Maybe someday.

handi2

The spool was designed this way so the linen line would dry.

Even though monofilament line was designed before this reel came about braided line was still more popular.

I don't think the waffle spool was a thought back then
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Paul Roberts

Actually, the holes were indeed to lighten the spool and even provide some air resistance. Langley called it their "low inertia" spool for quick start up and slow down. It made the Langley's very popular reels. One of the easier DD reels to cast. Lotsa good thinking, and engineering, going on then too.

Linen predates these reels. By the late 40's and 50's when these reels came in, braided nylons were the choice casting lines. Nylon didn't rot like linen and silk.

Midway Tommy

I've got a couple of old Langleys I picked up in a reel lot down the basement in a box with a few other old "lashers"  :D , a Streamlite and a Speedcast. They seem to work pretty well. The marbled plastic knobs turn great on both of them, they haven't froze up like a lot of the Langley knobs do.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

Quote from: Paul Roberts on January 07, 2023, 12:35:32 AMActually, the holes were indeed to lighten the spool and even provide some air resistance. Langley called it their "low inertia" spool for quick start up and slow down. It made the Langley's very popular reels. One of the easier DD reels to cast. Lotsa good thinking, and engineering, going on then too.

Linen predates these reels. By the late 40's and 50's when these reels came in, braided nylons were the choice casting lines. Nylon didn't rot like linen and silk.

I've bought a few Langleys with that brown/white silk tournament line.  I think it was a hold-over from the tournament days that were quickly fading by that time.