2023 fishing goals?

Started by pjstevko, January 04, 2023, 06:33:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark Hill

I just picked up an Ocean City 940 Topsail, I tore it down and cleaned it all up. Of course, the reel was dirty, old (black tar looking) grease made the handle turn super sluggish. But once it was all cleaned up it runs smooth as butter. Every part was like new and showed little if any use! My goal for 2023?... to catch a pike over 38" with it. Hoping for over 40"!!! I haven't taken any pictures of the reel after cleaning it all up, but I can add some if anyone would like. I believe it's a 1957? Please correct me if i'm wrong. Thanks and good luck with your 2023 goals!!!Ocean City Topsail 940 02BBBB.jpg
"Sell a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man how to fish, and he will start collecting and refurbishing old reels"

Mjg378

An alligator gar.  The river near my house flows to the Mississippi, unfortunately, I found a mutilated gar on the beach.  I wasn't sure that it was an alligator gar so I took a picture and Consulted internet.  I had thought we were to far north in Memphis but they are here.   I've been reading up on how.  Hope to this summer!
Mike

David Hall

1. catch a yellowfin over 186lbs.
2. Catch a local BFT over 100lbs.
3. Go fishing as much as I possibly can.
4. go bass fishing with my grandson.
 :d

Bill B

I would like to heal up enough to fish, but when I do I have the following on the bucket list in no particular order:

1. Another wahoo, bigger than my last
2. Another white sea bass, bigger than the last
3. My first halibut
4. My first albacore
5. Organize the shop to properly store my reels since I got evicted from the den.          Currently have 3 boxes of reels to be stored
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Swami805

Fish more!!! I have 17 trips to the Channel Islands booked starting in April.  Hope to add a few to morro bay and local cod trips with the SPJ gearI built a few more long steelhead rods for surf fishing that I need to break in. Hope I don't get fired for taking so much time off
Do what you can with that you have where you are

sciaenops

Quote from: Swami805 on February 03, 2023, 02:35:01 AMFish more!!! I have 17 trips to the Channel Islands booked starting in April. 

Is that all? Lol

Brewcrafter

Quote from: Bill B on February 03, 2023, 12:25:02 AMI would like to heal up enough to fish, but when I do I have the following on the bucket list in no particular order:

3. My first halibut
4. My first albacore
5. Organize the shop to properly store my reels since I got evicted from the den.          Currently have 3 boxes of reels to be stored

Halibut Bill?  If we are talking California variety this may be an excuse for us to fish.  If you want the larger Pacifics, that's Todd's territory.....

Gfish

Resist killing too tasty lookin reef fish and NOT capsize.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bill B

Quote from: Brewcrafter on February 03, 2023, 03:13:38 AM
Quote from: Bill B on February 03, 2023, 12:25:02 AMI would like to heal up enough to fish, but when I do I have the following on the bucket list in no particular order:

3. My first halibut
4. My first albacore

Halibut Bill?  If we are talking California variety this may be an excuse for us to fish.  If you want the larger Pacifics, that's Todd's territory.....

Yeah California halibut would be great!  When are we leaving?  😉
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Jenx

Catch a Yellowtail from shore.
Catch a striper in the surf.
Catch a Zebra perch.

MarkT

Quote from: pjstevko on January 04, 2023, 06:33:56 AMWhat are your fishing goals for 2023?

Mine......

catch a yellowtail on a surface iron
catch a halibut
catch a bft over 150/200#
help my friend catch his first bft

I'm sure there's more but that's all I got for now.....
Been there, done that, all of that!
Catch even more surface iron YT... yes please! I've even caught them on poppers!
More halibut, sure they're tasty!
Big BFT? Been there done that... how about a 60#+ Wahoo!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Lunker Larry

I've been telling myself for years to get out early in the season (before muskie opens) to fish Gar pike. The Ottawa has world class Gar - 50" plus. I just have to make more excuses to go than not LOL.
ottawa-river-record-gar-best.jpg
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

handi2

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on January 04, 2023, 11:59:56 AMIn 2020 my goal was to catch a cobia. It's now '23 and I haven't done it yet. Maybe this year.

I don't think i kept a single fish in 2022. Maybe this year I won't putz around with tackle as much in the garage, in favor of actually using it.

Here you go Jason
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

farmer56

This is for Mark Hill ...  Nice job on reel ...  Did we have the same mothers ... Love restoring old bait-casters ..  always trying for that 40+ " northern that just TEARS up stuff... we fish northern Mn. and southern Ontario only in search of that 40+ .  On a side note my Dad only new how to dairy farm hard, never fished .... i like your side not and i hope my kids get the fish because my Dad did ...

kjdunne

1 - Be retired as of May 1
2 - Fish weekdays for a change
3 - Catch a Jersey Doormat Fluke, (10+ lb summer flounder)

Kal