308 vs 408

Started by reelynew, February 01, 2023, 09:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reelynew

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this is a somewhat redundant question for you all, but I seem to be finding some conflicting information on these reels and was thinking you all would most definitely know, before I think of purchasing one.  I had read that the 308 does not come with a bearing, but I am now seeing one in a schematic.  If that's true, what are the differences between the two reels? 

Thanks,

Matt

I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.

foakes

Both have bearing assemblies, Matt —

The 308 is black with a gear ratio of 1:3.

The 408 is identical in size —- it is dark blue and a high speed version at 1:5.

These are great little microlight/ultralight reels.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

reelynew

Quote from: foakes on February 01, 2023, 10:00:50 PMBoth have bearing assemblies, Matt —

The 308 is black with a gear ratio of 1:3.

The 408 is identical in size —- it is dark blue and a high speed version at 1:5.

These are great little microlight/ultralight reels.

Best, Fred

Thank you Fred. 

handi2

Actually it's 3.1 and 5.1
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

reelynew

Thank you Gentlemen.  Looking now at some photos of them both, I am seeing the high speed label on the 408.  I am not seeing a palm in the face emoji. 

Midway Tommy

Here's a 308 - 408 part comparison. 308 is on the left & the 408 is on right. The 308 is an early example. Pretty easy to see the minimal differences. The main gear closeup ended up a little grainy.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

reelynew

Thanks Tommy - That's a great illustration.  Looking at the tiny teeth in the 408, I can see why it is high speed.  Looks like the main gear of the 408 used a different material than the 308. 

Gfish

Yeah. Looks like bronze(408) vs some kinda aluminum alloy(308).
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

CincyDavid

I have a couple of 308s and want to like them, but they are the only reels I own that smack my knuckles with the bail wire due to the way I hold the rod. 

handi2

Quote from: CincyDavid on February 10, 2023, 07:05:36 PMI have a couple of 308s and want to like them, but they are the only reels I own that smack my knuckles with the bail wire due to the way I hold the rod. 

Yes they do..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

Never had that issue.

Guess I hold my rod differently, or smaller hands, or something?

308's & 408's are terrific reels —- particularly the 408.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Balvar24

Love the Gleason gears in the 408's.

philaroman

Quote from: handi2 on February 10, 2023, 07:14:49 PM
Quote from: CincyDavid on February 10, 2023, 07:05:36 PMI have a couple of 308s and want to like them, but they are the only reels I own that smack my knuckles with the bail wire due to the way I hold the rod. 

Yes they do..!!

don't ever play w/ a "horn" half-bail  >:( :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Midway Tommy

:o
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

Would a 408 main gear fit into a 308. Looking at Tommy's picture, everything between the 2 looks the same except that.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!