Removing a hex AR bearing from an old boss 270

Started by alantani, February 03, 2023, 11:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

The very first boss 270 accurates didn't have the double stack round asian ar bearings. They had a single German hex ar bearing. To replace the bearing,  you first had to remove it. That's where the anchor bolt comes back to save me.  thanks again to whoever had the idea.  i was able to pop it out, quick and easy. 

the chinese AR bearings are slightly larger, so i will have to dremel out the cup until the new AR bearing fits.  it's gonna take another hour.  the box that this reel came from has been sitting here in the garage since may of 2022.  every reel will be a challenge.  i knew it was going to be a nightmare. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

My machine shop buddies cringe every time I do something like this,  but it works.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gfish

Nice!
Looks like a pretty good fit.
I have the old DPX2 600 Boss with the 3 dogs and an ARB(IAR?). I would rather have no ARB and depend on the dogs only, handle kick-back might be acceptable. A bushing of some sort to replace the maintenance-heavy ARB would be the thing. Taking-out the old ARB would be a fun challenge and learning experience.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oldmanjoe

Quote from: alantani on February 03, 2023, 11:48:36 PMMy machine shop buddies cringe every time I do something like this,  but it works.
Hey for a Pharmacist ,You have Surgeon like skills ...     Looks like you could dip the bit in oil more often to keep the bit clean . " Stops the aluminum sticking to the cutter flutes and make a faster cut 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Petah

Alan,

You should ask Al Barker how he rebuilds them.

lightj12

What's the difference between this series of boss reels vs the later versions with cast control? Looking at one for sale right now. Thanks.

JasonGotaProblem

I took the side plate and innards from one of these from before cast control, and swapped it into a NOS frame when one of the screw holes stripped out (which is shockingly easy to do on these. Frankly i think the cast control is the only difference
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

lightj12

Upon further review, looks like the the later versions of the Boss reels don't have the hexagonal AR bearings.  Thanks for the response.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: lightj12 on December 31, 2023, 04:35:57 AMUpon further review, looks like the the later versions of the Boss reels don't have the hexagonal AR bearings.  Thanks for the response.
Thank you. Now I know more than i did before.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.