Mouse Cursor Disappears

Started by jgp12000, February 05, 2023, 07:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

Lately My mouse cursor has been disappearing and the PC locks up. I am not sure if it's since the last Windows 10 update or not. This is a desktop I built, I deleted the mouse and reinstalled it, no viruses detected. I even tried another known good new mouse, same deal. I have not tried to roll back to an older driver yet, I might do a windows repair as a last resort. Has anyone ran into this before? Also, this hardware does not pass the windows 11 update check, I forget which component it is but will update.

handi2

I'm no help at all

I started using an iPad many years ago.

No problems
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Donnyboat

could be flat batteries in the curcer, did you transfer the same batteries to the new one, good luck cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

foakes

This is a kind of common issue after a Windows upgrade —-

A few ways to fix it.

It is just that the Windows new version does not recognize your mouse anymore.

I had this issue a couple of times when I used to use a PC.  For the last 10 years, I have only used a MacBook Laptop, iPad, and iPhone —- all Apple products.

No problems.

Might be as easy as unplugging your mouse (if wired), or turning the mouse off and removing the batteries for a minute or two.

Or...

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/mouse-pointer-disappears-on-windows-10-solved/

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jgp12000

I will check that link out Fred. It's a wired mouse in the shop.The mouse always works after a reboot it just randomly locks up when the cursor disappears.

Cor

Yes  have also had mouse issues the past 2 weeks.

I thought I had it fixed, but right this minute it started the same nonsense.

Had changed USB port to a different one and replaced mouse batteries.

The cursor stars to drift around uncontrollably, it makes a fairly loud sound like someone sending "morse code"   :)    The PC semi freezes, Ctrl + Alt+ del reacts after 30 seconds and fixes the problem.

I am now sure it is a MS issue and they will come with a fix shortly.

Some tips the relating to Win 11 that may help.   https://beebom.com/fix-mouse-not-working-windows-11/
Cornelis

Shellbelly

Quote from: Cor on February 06, 2023, 12:15:53 AMThe cursor stars to drift around uncontrollably
I had this problem occasionally with Windows PC years ago.  Had to uninstall/reinstall drivers.

All apple now w/wireless mouse and keyboard.  Sometimes iMac loses them, but recovery is easy.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

PacRat

I've had a new Lenovo ThinkPad for about six months now. I've had similar issues and I don't use a mouse, just the touch pad. In my case, I believe I'm 'fat fingering' something and my cursor just vanishes. The fix was simple (once I figured it out). I'll share it once I remember how to fix it.

boon

Does the keyboard still work when this happens (hit Windows key and see if you get the Start menu, for example)? If not, then the cursor disappearing is a symptom of the machine crashing, not the cause.

Random hard lockups on a modern computer tend to be RAM-related, or on some occasions it's temperature. Try swapping your RAM into different slots, and check that your CPU cooler (and GPU if you have a separate one) isn't full of dust bunnies.

Cor

After posting above, I once again changed the USB port and have not (yet) had a repetition of the problem.
Cornelis

jgp12000

Yes boon the keyboard still works,Cor I had this mouse in a hub and moved it to the back of the pc but have not moved it from there yet.