Stripping/Spooling Line on Spinners

Started by jgp12000, February 07, 2023, 04:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

I was curious what techniques you guys use for stripping/spooling line.For stripping I usually use a pencil in a drill, tape the old line to the pencil loosen the drag and go to town. On vintage spinners, I remove the spool and insert a plastic rod through the center of the spool and hold it in my hand and do the drill. I spool the line using a plano line box.I am sure there is a better way, but this is what I have been doing for years.

JasonGotaProblem

I took an old spool of line and cut one sidewall off and sanded the cut edge smooth. Then I found a socket bit that fits in the center hole snug with a band of tape around it. So when i wanna remove line that I don't intend to reuse I tape the end to that spool, use the drill to strip the line, then slide the line off the cut spool sideways and throw it in my growing bag of spent line that ill recycle properly one day.

If I do intend to reuse the line I'll do basically the same thing but with an intact empty spool, being careful to do the levelwind thing so it comes off nicely too.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

foakes

That is a clever line box that I have never seen before, James —-

Everyone will do it a little differently.

Although I have (2) older Berkley line metering machines for spinning reels —- and (2) other large HD Triangle Metering machines for Conventionals and spinners —- since I mostly only do spinning reels nowadays —- I always use an old spinning rod lower half to spool my spinning reels manually by hand.

This does a few things for me —-

The pressure needed is easy to obtain with my fingers.

I can quickly see if the line lay is going to be level-even, or not—- before shipping out.  If not, a under-spool spacer might need to be added or removed or switched out.  Easy if done at the time.

There is less chance of breaking a plastic spool by hand than there is by winding it too tight with motorized equipment.

And, most spinners don't take that much line anyway —- so it is quick, easy, and addresses all concerns.

I do use the medium Triangle Line Meter for stripping line quickly for discarding (I never reuse line, always new).

All old line goes into a "burn box" that gets tossed on our burn 🔥 piles a few times a year.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

Get the product called Line Off.

It's 2 funnels with a threaded rod. It's super fast. Loosen the nut and the line falls off. It's much faster than any line winder.

It's great for conventional reels

This is for stripping line off that will be recycled at the tackle shop.

It is the fastest way to remove the line. What makes it di fast is that the funnels come apart and the line slides right off. The threaded rod is fixed in one of the funnels

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

JasonGotaProblem

Ok y'all done made me go and pull the trigger on an idea that's been rattling around in my head for a while.

I cut the skirt on a skirted spool reel to fit into the indentations on a spool of line. You then tighten that into a vise and set your ideal drag and wrap it on manually. Tried it last night and it works great! Another one to file under "not everything needs to be pretty."
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

jgp12000

Gfish

With spinners I get less line twist from a new spool, if I put the spool on a rod that fits tight in the hole and then clamped in a vice, facing the reel spool. The line has to come off the spool the same direction as it's spins on to the reel. Like Fred, I find a lower rod 1/2 with at least one guide to hold the reel as I "hand" crank it on. 
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

DougK

strip off by hand, respool by hand with the line spool rattling on a pegboard hook.. I keep an old nasty spinning rod butt piece around, just for respooling.

I like the pencil/drill idea for stripping, might move to that..

jgp12000

My concern using the drill is wear on the drag washers,is why I do the plastic rod on vintage spools, with modern reels no so much.