Another best reel question

Started by Makule, February 22, 2012, 05:11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makule

For all of my small game needs, I've been using spinning reels.  I've noticed that some people on party boats have been using small bait casting reels to toss out anchovies, etc., a good distance and it seems this might be something I could use for another of my purposes.  There are really two different needs:  First is something I can use for up to 1.5 to 2 ounce weights, throwing 20 lb. braid.  It needs to be light, able to cast 100+ yards easily, and hold up to 250 yards of the 20 lb braid.  Must have backlash control;  The second is something that can hold up to 200 yards of 50 mono, be light, have reasonably strong brakes, and be able to cast up to 3 or 4 ounces 100+ yards.  Must have backlash control also.  Of course, being affordable would be nice too.

Any suggestions?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Bryan Young

Do you need a line guide or not for this purpose of fishing you are thinking of?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Makule

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 22, 2012, 08:50:55 AM
Do you need a line guide or not for this purpose of fishing you are thinking of?

Line guide on the smaller one would be nice.  Not important on the larger one.

Thanks.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

mackereljoe

Thinking a Penn Squall 12 for the small one.  For the 2nd, i can't cast 100 yards with a #50 mono with only a 3-4 ounce and Newell is out since there's no cast control.  Maybe a Penn 113HN with static magnet might work, but 100 yards #50 mono casting 3-4 ounce that i gotta see.

Bryan Young

The light, I would recommend Abu 6500/7000 series.  Light, easy to cast, and new reels comes with carbon fiber drags.

Medium, I'm thinking abou this one.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Makule

Sorry, brain fart.  Not 100 yards on 50 lb mono with 4 ounce.  That should have been 50 yards.

Recall seeing a guy from Japan fishing with a small "bait casting" reel.  Don't know what make or model, but he was throwing what looked like about 1/2 ounce about 30 yards with mono (don't know strength).  Didn't have any problems with backlash and didn't look like he was actually thumbing the spool either so it was probably one that had the magnets from the factory.  He wasn't casting hard since the fish were close, but it seemed to me like that would be ideal for what I'm planning.  Is there something called a "pitching" reel that guys use on the boats to throw small live bait?  I don't go boat fishing and no one that I know of here uses one of those small reels so I don't even know what they're called.

Quote from: mackereljoe on February 22, 2012, 07:56:58 PM
Thinking a Penn Squall 12 for the small one.  For the 2nd, i can't cast 100 yards with a #50 mono with only a 3-4 ounce and Newell is out since there's no cast control.  Maybe a Penn 113HN with static magnet might work, but 100 yards #50 mono casting 3-4 ounce that i gotta see.

Bryan Young

You may want to call Lance at 5Oceans, 7Seas.  He fishes small gear with spectra.  He's one of the best sources on the Islands for small bait-casting reels.