best SW spinning reel for 11-15 year olds kids?

Started by cbamer, February 18, 2023, 11:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbamer

Greetings! My four grandkids are all wanting to try beach casting for surf perch. We have lots of nice places to go, here on the Olympic Peninsula, but all my gear is freshwater. When we go fishing on lakes/streams, we outfit the kids with my parents' old DAM Quicks and Mitchells, but I don't want to use those for the salt. I picked up a Mitchell 300 for a song, but have been advised on this site not to use it in sw. I also have picked up a Mitchell 302 & 306, and am about to try my hand at restoring them for my husband and I, but they seem so big for kids' smaller hands and arm strength.

Any suggestions? Greenies, quick Super, mitchell 402? Something not too expensive. Something I can learn to maintain myself, and then teach the kids. It's how my dad and uncle taught me, though I didn't keep up much fishing after college until the late 90s, and there was an older gentleman nearby who greased my reels for me... thank you for your thoughts.

foakes

Hi Carla —-

Suggestions that would do a good job for anyone in the salt, not be too large, not break the bank, and be easy to flush out & service, might be —-

Your Mitchell 306

Penn 710, 710Z, 450SS, 550SS

DAM Quick Champion 2000, 2001, 3000, 3001

ABU/Zebco 6 or 7

Parts are available for all of these —- and they are relatively simple to work on —- although it appears that you have some serious good reel mechanic skills.

Of course, there are others —-

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

cbamer

Thank you Fred! I have never held a Penn or Zebco spinner in my hands, and it's hard to tell from auction pics how big they are. You didn't list the quick super or 550. If those are too large for kids, I'm glad to know it b/c I've seen some bulk listings lately and was tempted. But as far as reel skills go: I served as a fs and nps wilderness ranger for 25 years, and lived aboard and travelled on an offshore sailboat, so plenty of experience fixing mechanical things in sub-par conditions. But none but the most basic reel repair. Your (and the other senseis here) encyclopedic knowledge of reel models, parts, repair methods is inspiring, to understate it completely. Thank you, again!

foakes

Quote from: cbamer on February 19, 2023, 12:16:11 AMThank you Fred! I have never held a Penn or Zebco spinner in my hands, and it's hard to tell from auction pics how big they are. You didn't list the quick super or 550. If those are too large for kids, I'm glad to know it b/c I've seen some bulk listings lately and was tempted. But as far as reel skills go: I served as a fs and nps wilderness ranger for 25 years, and lived aboard and travelled on an offshore sailboat, so plenty of experience fixing mechanical things in sub-par conditions. But none but the most basic reel repair. Your (and the other senseis here) encyclopedic knowledge of reel models, parts, repair methods is inspiring, to understate it completely. Thank you, again!

The DQ Super 270 is also an excellent reel, as is the DQ 550.

But they are as large or larger than the Mitchell 302.

The one thing most of these reels —- with the exception of the Mitchell 306 —- have in common —- is a tough bronze main gear, steel crank axle, and a SS or steel worm-drive double supported pinion.  These are the toughest and longest lasting engineering drive systems going —- and will also wash out and reservice easily and quickly.

These are the reels, after a lifetime of working on everything that came across the bench in 45+ years —- that I have chosen to specialize and work on.  Service, repairs, rebuilds, restorations, etc.

The aluminum spools on the Penns, Champion DQ's, and Cardinal 6 & 7 —- are another plus.  The Penn 710 greenie or Z has a very tough plastic polymer type spool which is also excellent for salt water.

I have massive amounts of parts for all of these reels —- plus I try to keep 400 to 500 in stock as complete reels for folks.

Proven quality, capability, performance, parts availability, and ease of servicing are all key elements for SW fishing.

At this point in my life —- I prefer to specialize in the vintage, high quality reels of the early 60's through about '85.

I am still learning —- and will continue to do so —- however, the key to specializing is that one gains more experience, and also becomes better and more skilled at the tiniest details that make all the difference.

Perhaps that other expert reel mechanics may not ever realize.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

I just fought a Mitchell Pro 306 PUM. Manual pickup. It looks to be new. I'll keep cleaning

I used Mitchell reels in saltwater for years. Especially the 300. Even when the Shakespeare, and Penn, came out I kept my Mitchell's
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

oldmanjoe

Quote from: cbamer on February 19, 2023, 12:16:11 AMThank you Fred! I have never held a Penn or Zebco spinner in my hands, and it's hard to tell from auction pics how big they are. You didn't list the quick super or 550. If those are too large for kids, I'm glad to know it b/c I've seen some bulk listings lately and was tempted. But as far as reel skills go: I served as a fs and nps wilderness ranger for 25 years, and lived aboard and travelled on an offshore sailboat, so plenty of experience fixing mechanical things in sub-par conditions. But none but the most basic reel repair. Your (and the other senseis here) encyclopedic knowledge of reel models, parts, repair methods is inspiring, to understate it completely. Thank you, again!
I've seen some bulk listings lately and was tempted.
       I will say any Dam quick 220 on up will be in your grand children`s hands for a very long time , they are the best bang for the buck .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

happyhooker

Mitchell 306 was marketed & designed for saltwater.  A lot of stainless steel parts. I suppose the 406 would be the updated version, not necessarily better.  Saltwater usually means bigger reels, although I'm thinking the 306, while bigger on the outside, is still around 14 oz. in weight.  There are vids online that show R & R of these reels.

And, welcome to the site.

Frank

Gfish

JMO, the reels mentioned all sound good to me. Comes down to availability. I usually get used oldies but goodies on eBay, but 2nd hand stores save on shipping cost and allow one to handle the product.

For saltwater, metal parts that corrode easily, such as pot metal or Zinc alloys, are the worst. Plastic/graphite parts in high stress areas are also bad(breakage), but don't corrode. They are, however subject to UV damage.

Painting. I like to paint a thin layer of marine grease on all the surface areas inside a reel, that I can. Only deviation would be oil or lower viscosity grease on close tolerance moving parts.

In my experience the DAM Quicks and the Abu/Zebco Cardinals seal-up the gear box very well. The Cards. do it with only 1 screw. I have a 4, 6, & 7X, there's never any water inside the body. Also, never had water get into the rotor/pinion ball-bearings on these reels.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

cbamer

This is all great info. Thank you all.
Could all the Quicks be used in salt?
Would a Penn 720 be good (there's one near me). Is a Mitch 402 any lighter or better than the 302? (there's one near me). I love those Greenies, but rarely see them here, and they're expensive online. Same for the cardinal 6&7s. Although the auction site has some with missing parts for a bit less...

And thanks to Tommy, I've finally got my picture posts down to one apiece👍👍👍

cbamer

I do have a dam220. Would be a nice fit for the smallest ones' hand. We'd just be casting for inshore perch, so maybe 6 lb test would be ok on it?

foakes

Any of the DQ's can be used in the salt, Carla —-

However, like any reel used in Sw —-

It will require a LIGHT rinse with fresh water —- just flowed over the surfaces —- not forced or sprayed hard (Forcing the fresh water spray hard will also force salt and sand into any of the open seams or points).

402 is a high speed version of the 302 —- identical size and weight.  Dark blue instead of the 302 black.

720 is OK —- but it is a fresh water reel —- so just to realize it may not last forever.

The weak link on these 720's is the plastic oscillation connecting block inside the casing — replacement is $20.  Everything else is pretty strong for Perch.

Most any reel can be used in the salt for Perch, etc.

I would recommend a gentle rinse afterwards —- then a wipe down —- then pop the sideplate and inspect for any water intrusion —- light regreasing and oiling if needed.

Light spray of WD40 on the exterior—- then another wipe down.

WD40 is a poor lubricant —- however, the "WD" stands for Water Displacement.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Jenx

My vote is for the 720.

I used that reel in the surf for a few summers before upgrading.

It has no ball bearings, so the maintenance on it is minimal.

I accidentally dunked that reel in the surf once and it kept on working with no issues.

cbamer

Thank you for the reminder about freshwater rinse. Fred! When we lived on our old sailboat in the Sea of Cortez for 3 years, we swam in the ocean to bathe, and only used a quart or so of precious freshwater to rinse ourselves off-because it was more important to use the freshwater for bathing and to rinse the salt off of our equipment after a blustery days' sail!